Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I hated the holodeck. Way too much of a plot convenience crutch, and way too much of a distraction. I'd rather watch a space-based science fiction show than have the crew act out a Dashiell Hammett noir mystery or something every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so now what? In this "multicultural" era of Trek, who will be the villains, if any? I'm not enthused about there being a bunch of Q/Trelane-type villains, either.
    TOS tended to have an entire race as an entire planet of villains (Klingons, for example), though TNG much more consciously tended to show villains who just happened to be a race, but made clear that the entire race itself wasn't culpable (or had others of the same race challenge the villain). TUC went so far as to show a multiracial conspiracy vs. multiracial heroes too, complete with counterparts. The Cardassians, I think, came closest and most prominently to that, but DS9 showed good Cardassians like Garak and Ziyal. (The Borg don't count.)

So I wouldn't be too worried about the race of the villain for this series, since Trek tends to show that any population can spawn evil, really.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I hated the holodeck. Way too much of a plot convenience crutch, and way too much of a distraction. I'd rather watch a space-based science fiction show than have the crew act out a Dashiell Hammett noir mystery or something every week.
    The best holodeck episodes were the ones where they were used sparingly and as entertainment or some other function (holodeck as therapy or trying to solve a problem is cool; just don't make it the focus of the episode). Holodeck hate comes from too many episodes of it malfunctioning and putting our heroes in danger, all for an entertainment device. It's like if your PS4 rose up and tried to strangle you once a year.

Extraordinary Member

Retconning Enterprise straight out of existence would be OK with me.

Didn't one of the books try to fix it by nog and jake discover the continuity snarls and start investigating only to stumble upon section 31 was behind the alterations (and Trip faked his death to do a serect mission to Romulas?)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    The best holodeck episodes were the ones where they were used sparingly and as entertainment or some other function (holodeck as therapy or trying to solve a problem is cool; just don't make it the focus of the episode). Holodeck hate comes from too many episodes of it malfunctioning and putting our heroes in danger, all for an entertainment device. It's like if your PS4 rose up and tried to strangle you once a year.
    Please Everyone knows it will be the X-box that will try to kill you.

Michal Bay Actually recorded one doing just that and used it in one of his movies.....

Retconning Enterprise straight out of existence would be OK with me.
    that would be awesome thing to do but i would find it unlikely.

Giving that the latest trek movie mentions the xindi i think it would just be easier to say ENT was part of the movie-verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Giving that the latest trek movie mentions the xindi i think it would just be easier to say ENT was part of the movie-verse.
    Yeah, it's too late to turn back now. Into Darkness made it pretty clear when they had the NX-01 in the Admiral's office, but then Beyond pushed it even further, right down to the shuttlepods and the Franklin's warp core in engineering (which looks a lot like the NX-01's core, but yellow instead of purple). The wormhole where the Franklin was originally lost was also a location that Archer and the crew visited in season 1.

Extraordinary Member

they mention Scotty killing Porthos in [2009] (Head cannon says the Gland he got in NiSB gave him the life span of a turtle)

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I wish we still lived in an innocent enough time when you could do goofy-ass episodes like "The Squire of Gothos" and "Who Mourns For Adonais" without it looking stupid.