Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Do you think it's weird for men over 30 to read comics about teen-age girls?

Just curious what your thoughts are about this. I've read all of the Ms. Marvel trades and probably will read about RiRi when her comic is in trade paperback. That will be two comics about teen-age girls, even though they are super hero comics the thought about it seems kind of creepy. Imagine a guy over 30 telling people one of his hobbies includes reading about female teens.

It would probably be a lot worse telling anyone that I read about a 9 nine year old girl with a dinosaur.

Extraordinary Member

Speaking as a Betty and Veronica fan, no. Characters are just people.

BANNED

You read because you find the stories to be interesting and the characters appealing. If that's your motivation to read there's nothing wrong, I guess

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Another Betty and Veronica fan here, and I'm 57, so I'm cool with it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

iMan 42s

It's only creepy if you make it creepy. Reading a comic book is a completely fine way to be entertained and whomever holds it against you is frankly judgemental of a common legal activity.

There isn't anything wrong in liking a certain kind of story. It kind of reminds me of the needlessly hateful comments about the brony community in that while you may be older than the intended audience, someone who simply enjoys this content is nothing to be ashamed of and makes those who would judge it unfairly look like fools.
    There is a flip-side to this in that it can be creepy if the act of reading the book was for something more sinister than simple entertainment but assuming you are a decent human being and it's clear you are a fan of this content and not someone whom I need to check a certain list in my area for, your probably fine.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Is it weird for men over 30 to read comics about teenage boys?

Invincible Member

I read some of those comics, but I read other types of comics as well. I like reading a variety of things.

I think it's a bigger problem that some men over thirty think that Marvel publishing comics starring teen-aged girls is part of some sort of political conspiracy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I read some of those comics, but I read other types of comics as well. I like reading a variety of things.

I think it's a bigger problem that some men over thirty think that Marvel publishing comics starring teen-aged girls is part of some sort of political conspiracy.
    I think that's not an issue. The deal with riri Williams what complicated, on my part I'd have preferred of a black female writer was part of the creative team instead of bendis.
    I was reading the WITCH comic a few years ago because I liked the story and there's nothing like wrong with that, also I was 15 not 30 around that time, then again I used to read a variety of comics and when I was reading witch I covered it with X men or Spider-Man

IMO, this is no different from any other instance of adults liking things that are "kids stuff". What you like is your own thing, and no one has any right to tell you that it's wrong, creepy, gross, or anything like that.

The only thing that needs to be done is to not let yourself be affected by those words or stigma.

Mighty Member

No it's not creepy. you are overthinking this, I don't think that nobody care unless you seem creepy when you talk about this. Relax.

Spectacular Member

I gotta agree with everyone else here. It shouldn't be creepy based on your intent to be entertained. My mom is in her 60's and loves the Harry Potter books and Hunger Games as do many adults. Aren't these also stories about teens or younger?
    Have you pre-ordered Nova yet? I have.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by madrox83 View Post
    I gotta agree with everyone else here. It shouldn't be creepy based on your intent to be entertained. My mom is in her 60's and loves the Harry Potter books and Hunger Games as do many adults. Aren't these also stories about teens or younger?
    Basically this. I mean, I don't know you. You might very well be some sort of creep, but I wouldn't base that solely on the comics you're reading.

No way. Enjoy reading what you enjoy, sod what anyone else says. I personal find a lot of my favourite comics usually have a more teenage cast (Young Avengers, Runaways etc...) Heck, Magik: Illyana and Storm is one of my all time favorite comic books of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Is it weird for men over 30 to read comics about teenage boys?
    It's weird when I do it ...

Seriously though: vast majority of my pulls are all female leads. I find they tend to focus on real conflict over "the focus of this book is the buildup to this bad ass scene" which is fun every so often, but if that's all I wanted I'd Google image search.

I'm still in my 20ies so I should be fine, yes?

I don't see how this should be a problem at all. If you are a creep for reading Teeny Comics, every Twilight Fan is much, muuuch more of a creep for reading/ watching a Book/ Movie about a Teenage Threeway Romance which shines a rather problematic light on the female maincharacter.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter