Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Suicide Squad" Eyes $300 Million Global Box Office

"Suicide Squad" continues to perform well overseas, especially in Great Britain and Russia, which brings the film's total to almost $300 million.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

I'm glad to see it doing well. After being so fundamentally let down by the travesty that was the theatrical cut of BvS, despite its flaws, I really enjoyed this movie a lot. The flaws it did have were not flaws that were unique to this movie--damn near every comic book movie has the "weak central villain" flaw, including almost every single MCU movie that doesn't have Loki or Red Skull in it.

Honestly, I get that film is subjective, we all have our own opinions, but I'm baffled by how harsh some of the reviews are. I'm especially baffled by the overwhelming sense of glee that people seem to have while talking about how much it sucked as they present their personal opinion as objective fact.

Anyway, point being: Good on ya, Suicide Squad. Keep pulling in that $$ and get us a better sequel.

Mighty Member

I think a little north of 600 MIL at best... that's without China. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad the movie is doing well at the box office.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousPenman View Post
    I'm glad to see it doing well. After being so fundamentally let down by the travesty that was the theatrical cut of BvS, despite its flaws, I really enjoyed this movie a lot. The flaws it did have were not flaws that were unique to this movie--damn near every comic book movie has the "weak central villain" flaw, including almost every single MCU movie that doesn't have Loki or Red Skull in it.

Honestly, I get that film is subjective, we all have our own opinions, but I'm baffled by how harsh some of the reviews are. I'm especially baffled by the overwhelming sense of glee that people seem to have while talking about how much it sucked as they present their personal opinion as objective fact.

Anyway, point being: Good on ya, Suicide Squad. Keep pulling in that $$ and get us a better sequel.
    Honestly, if you look at the critics' reviews and the fan reviews? They are not that much different. The main complaints are the same: 1) Predictable 3rd act with a dud of a villain (I call this the blockbuster syndrome; blockbusters feel compelled to have these huge CGI fights as their third act and they are so cliched that the visual spectacle is not enough to impress us anymore); 2) Wobbly plot structure (too much editing?) and not too much plot to begin with; 3) Misleading trailers. Both fans and critics loved the actor performances. A lot of people managed to have fun despite the flaws. Critics? Not so much. Which is not that surprising as I can see that plot and structure are things that critics are more susceptible to having a problem with. It is their job to analyze movies after all. They don't just go to the movies for fun.

Was it too much to ask for the Joker to be the main villain?!
    Last edited by solletaire; 08-10-2016 at 07:42 PM.

BANNED

This article was already posted out of date, the film has made 326 Million Worldwide counting Tuesday.

http://deadline.com/2016/08/suicide-...ts-1201801860/

Because Internationally, it made 31 Million, Monday + Tuesday.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    This article was already posted out of date, the film has made 326 Million Worldwide counting Tuesday.

http://deadline.com/2016/08/suicide-...ts-1201801860/

Because Internationally, it made 31 Million, Monday + Tuesday.
    The true test will be the 3rd weekend, let's see if this has legs. If it doesn't earn a billion with batman in it, it's considered a flop.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    The true test will be the 3rd weekend, let's see if this has legs. If it doesn't earn a billion with batman in it, it's considered a flop.
    are you freaking kidding with this here? absolutely no one on this entire planet should be expecting a billion dollars draw on this movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    are you freaking kidding with this here? absolutely no one on this entire planet should be expecting a billion dollars draw on this movie.
    With batman and joker in this movie, 2 of the most iconic characters in history, suicide squad needs to be pulling in avengers numbers ($1.5mil) before it'll be considered a success. Anything else would just be a flop. -DC hater.

Astonishing Member

It's very early but I can't believe how well SS is doing after all the negative reviews. The BO take for Monday and Tuesday is impressive. I thought for sure the movie wouldn't clear 300M domestic after the savage reviews, but now there's a possibility since the fall off wasn't too significant. Great for DC and for CBM.

Spectacular Member

If SS doesn't gross more than Avengers 1 by the end of 4th week then it should be considered a flop and WB should just pull the plug on DCEU.

Reasons being a) it features the most iconic hero/villain combo in all fiction (avengers had the c-list combo of Thor/loki) b) it has Will Smith, the biggest hollywood star and Robbie, the hottest actress out there (avengers had effin Ruffalo and the beefcake who is eye candy for the ladies in Ghostbusters) c) has Jared Leto, an Oscar winner (avengers had none) and d) it does quips like Whedon, music like Gunn and action sequences like Russos (logic says that when you combine these three, it should create a rift in the space-time continuum, let alone outgross avengers)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    Not saying the flick's a flop or will be, but considering it needs to make around 750 million just to break even, I'd say someone on this planet was at least hopeful.

Spectacular Member BertoFlyingFox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Based Stickler View Post
    Not saying the flick's a flop or will be, but considering it needs to make around 750 million just to break even, I'd say someone on this planet was at least hopeful.
    Someone pegged it as needing to make $750mil to break even? That's a helluva tall order.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BertoFlyingFox View Post
    Someone pegged it as needing to make $750mil to break even? That's a helluva tall order.
    Yeah, it seems insane. Especially without China.

Off topic but sorta not. I just was looking at movie numbers. Deadpool's budget was 58 mill. It's made 62 mill just on video sales alone. It made 780 mill box office. GOT DAMN!

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Based Stickler View Post
    No that was a false report that many newslets decided to run.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Where is this 750mil numbers coming from? SS has barely higher budget than Ghostbusters and nobody said about it needing anything close to those numbers.