Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Captain Marvel" Screenwriter Says Film Will "Reinvent" Carol Danvers' Origin

Marvel's first female superhero film is taking great care to avoid similarities to a certain DC superhero.

Full article here.

In before everyone rushes in to explain all the many details that make Carol's origin soooo different from Hal Jordan's. I mean, differences exist, but I totally get the problem; we were just addressing on that '10 things' thread yesterday how difficult it would seem to be to give Mar-Vell weight in a way that doesn't detract from Carol's time as the main/only Captain Marvel in her own movie. And the inverse of that is, the less you focus on Mar-Vell as a major supporting character, the more the broad beats start to resemble Abin Sur, and so on.

Astonishing Member

As long as they don't do away with Mar-Vell in her origins story, I'm okay with whatever they do.

I mean they already made Jarvis a computer so people wouldn't think he was a rip-off of Alfred...

Not a big deal. We all knew they would have to change it from its existing form anyway

Easiest way probably would be to tie her origin to another infinity stone. But at the same time that sounds kinda boring since lots of characters in MCU are already tied to them.

I never thought of Mar-Vell as Abin Sur, but I guess the comparison does make sense. Though I wonder if this will mean he'll be completely excised from the origin?

Makes me wonder how they would handle adapting the main Nova's into the MCU .

Spectacular Member

The simpler the origin the better. I like how Jarvis was re-imagined as AI that eventually became the Vision. It seems that if you allow things to develop slowly and organically, it works out pretty well. Kinda how Black Widow was a small but very interesting beginning in Iron Man 2 and is now one of the most important characters in the MCU. Let it develop slowly and organically.

She will get her powers from an Infinity Stone:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGunUs86iXA

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    She will get her powers from an Infinity Stone:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGunUs86iXA
    Given that the writer says they're trying not to rehash origins for the other MCU Avengers and we already have three other Avengers who got their powers from the Infinity Stones (Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and the Vision) I doubt that.

Ultimate Member

I think that it might very well still be some kind of machine that gives her the powers. It'll just be reworked for the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    The simpler the origin the better. I like how Jarvis was re-imagined as AI that eventually became the Vision. It seems that if you allow things to develop slowly and organically, it works out pretty well. Kinda how Black Widow was a small but very interesting beginning in Iron Man 2 and is now one of the most important characters in the MCU. Let it develop slowly and organically.
    Strongly agree. Bucky was a teen sidekick in the comics, and that was changed for the film because the story we have works a million times better for film, and it does. I have every confidence that they will make this work.

Ultimate Member

QS, SW, and Vision also have VERY different origins in the MCU as well, but that's worked out fine imo.

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    Yeah, the benefit of doing what the comics do -- making the most of what you've already got, and building organically from there -- at a much slower, more deliberate pace, with the comics having already gotten a lot of the trial and error out of the way. No one knew what all the great, lasting ideas would be as they were happening; it took years or decades to reveal which ones were worth holding on to. Inversely, ideas that were perfectly fine and good for a long time can still be improved on with so much perspective and new creativity. Where the comics are forced to keep building on a world where Jarvis is a man lest they implement a massive retcon, the movies get to replace good ideas with better ones seamlessly from the start.

And this might seem like sacrilege to some, but I do think Carol as Captain Marvel is a better idea than Mar-Vell or Carol as Ms. Marvel ever were, so I say start with that and build around it, implementing from the comics only what serves that goal, and fill it out with new ideas.

she's already using an identity extra close to another famous "danvers" in the world. why not do one better and have her be an alien girl fleeing her dying planet in a space ship?