Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default DC Comics' "The Ray" Lands on CW Seed, Will Feature Gay Lead

The animated "Freedom Fighters: The Ray" will follow Raymond "Ray" Terrill, the first gay superhero to lead his own series.

Full article here.

You had me at the ray and then lost me at them making him gay. Sorry better dc heroes (Batwoman or Midnighter) that would been better for first in this cast that actually are gay. Not just maybe in some dumb grant morrison if he was in that.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    You had me at the ray and then lost me at them making him gay. Sorry better dc heroes (Batwoman or Midnighter) that would been better for first in this cast that actually are gay. Not just maybe in some dumb grant morrison if he was in that.
    Batwoman is already set to appear on Supergirl. Her ex-girlfriend Maggie Sawyer as well. So the originally gay heroes are getting some love too. Heck, since Supergirl's a much bigger show, you could easily say Batwoman will be getting the better of this deal.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

he's always been a good concept afaik and there's not that many out and gale male heroes in the dc universe. so i think it's a good idea. i wish them luck!

Fantastic Member

Isn't this version already gay? This isn't OG Ray but the Morrison created version. So they aren't changing him, but using a different version.

I still have to see the cartoon series of Vixen, but I'll take a look to this one too. Especially if all the Freedom Fighters will appear too.

BANNED

"rather than the iteration that first appeared in 1973's "Justice League of America" #107."

Pretty sure that version first appeared way back in 1940...

Sigh... I was really looking forward to watching this but now not so much. I wanted the 90's Ray. A reporter like the original but turned gay... I wanted the computer programming shut-in that was told he'd die if sunlight touched him.

All-New Member

So a mash up of Happy and the original Ray Terrill's origins in a new character that happens to be gay? Sounds fine to me. Oh, neither of the first two Rays originated in that issue of JLA. Happy was a Quality Comics character from the Golden Age and Ray was a legacy character from the 90s.

I guess he's as good a choice as any, but now a character whose name rhymes with gay is gay. Or has he been gay for a while with the reboot? I've lost touch with a lot of DC stuff the past few years, but I remember him hooking up with Black Canary in his 90s solo series.

Infinity Inc. instead of the Freedom Fighters and focused on Obsidian might not have been a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrusnyc View Post
    "rather than the iteration that first appeared in 1973's "Justice League of America" #107."

Pretty sure that version first appeared way back in 1940...
    Yep. 1939 to be exact. JLA #107 is his first DCU appearance.

They're basically doing a Curtis Holt with The Ray I see .

Still, it's pretty cool that we're getting another DC animated web-series set in the Arrowverse, also with plans to crossover into the live-action shows, and I'm looking forward to watching it .

So...the Freedom Fighters exist in the Arrowverse? I wonder if that's going to tie-in to the JSA on Legends somehow? I also wonder if there's plans for different series featuring each Freedom Fighter since this is "Freedom Fighters: The Ray?" Like, "Freedom Fighters: Uncle Sam" or "Freedom Fighters: Phantom Lady?"

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Batwoman is already set to appear on Supergirl. Her ex-girlfriend Maggie Sawyer as well. So the originally gay heroes are getting some love too. Heck, since Supergirl's a much bigger show, you could easily say Batwoman will be getting the better of this deal.
    Batwoman hasn't been confirmed yet, though Maggie has.

Fantastic Member

If they're basing him off Morrison's version than the Original and the legacy character aren't being changed. They're just choosing a different source to draw from. Like the difference between using OG Nick Fury and Ultimate Nick Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    I guess he's as good a choice as any, but now a character whose name rhymes with gay is gay.

Ouch. Still better than when they made the new Alan Scott gay...you know, the one Green Lantern whose weakness was...wood.

I'm just happy they appear to be going with the Trujillo Black Condor. I read the Quesada "Ray" mini that introduced Terrill, but I never found him interesting aside from the costume design and origin.