Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default This New Pennywise Photo Will Scare The "It" Out of You

If you don't have a clown phobia already, the first image capturing Stephen King's iconic Pennywise the Clown's full outfit may give you one.

Full article here.

BANNED

LOL

Holy shit that looks terrible. It almost looks like a womans victorian era dress.

I like the hair. It looks much closer to the book, where it's described as a combination of a widow's peak and hornlike sides, sort of like Wolverine's hair only orange. This is much closer than the TV mini-series. And the shape of the head looks vaguely alien. The rest of the costume doesn't convey that impression I got of a silver 50's alien suit/clown suit combo.

I can see what they are going for. It looks like a victorian era clownsuit. Still, a lot depends on how the performance is pulled off and the direction.
    Life is but a dream

yeah i mean...he's not supposed to be overtly scary. He supposed some semblance of being welcoming so a kid would totally not run away but come towards him and get their balloon.

I think it would look better if the red around the mouth was more pronounced, like the original Ronald Macdonald.

Quote Originally Posted by Fissiks View Post
    yeah i mean...he's not supposed to be overtly scary. He supposed some semblance of being welcoming so a kid would totally not run away but come towards him and get their balloon.
    This is true, something I think a lot of people are missing. In many ways, I think they are trying to make him too menacing. The scary part is when he *removes* his clown persona.
    Life is but a dream

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think it looks great...provided this is him when he cuts the shit and feels no need to hide his nature to the kids and is about to move in for the kill.

But if this is what he looks like all the time, it isn't going to work. What child in their right mind would go anywhere near this thing?

that's a strange era to draw inspirations from.

I think kids will just laugh at him rather than be scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    that's a strange era to draw inspirations from.

I think kids will just laugh at him rather than be scared.
    So... good?
    Life is but a dream

I think some of these comments show the difficulty of balancing the need for Pennywise to always be creepy to the audience, while being believably innocent looking to the victims in the story. That some people are saying that he looks too creepy, and others that he looks too silly, may be either a sign that they succeeded at that balance, or that that balance is impossible.

If one element simply has to be sacrificed, then I would prefer that Pennywise always look creepy. If that means that characters in the movie have to be stupid, well so be it.

Balerina clown, so scary.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I think some of these comments show the difficulty of balancing the need for Pennywise to always be creepy to the audience, while being believably innocent looking to the victims in the story. That some people are saying that he looks too creepy, and others that he looks too silly, may be either a sign that they succeeded at that balance, or that that balance is impossible.

If one element simply has to be sacrificed, then I would prefer that Pennywise always look creepy. If that means that characters in the movie have to be stupid, well so be it.
    I think it can be both. All it takes is good acting, subtle changes to both the atmosphere and makeup, and you can go fully from nice to menacing. We might just be seeing the evil clown, not the nice mask Pennywise would wear.

Case in point, this DeviantArt drawing I particularly liked:
    Life is but a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
    LOL

Holy shit that looks terrible. It almost looks like a womans victorian era dress.
    Considering one of the reveals in the book...
    Life is but a dream

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

As one site said, they tried too hard and thus failed.

Hollywood does that a lot lately.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”