Amazing Member

Default Miles' brutality softened up on Civil War II #6 cover?

When I saw the ad in a comic, it showed Miles sitting on Captain America(Steve Rogers)'s chest. holding his shield up in the air, apparently about to bring the pointed edge down on his face. The first time I saw this Miles was holding the new triangular shield that Steve has been carrying since he returned.

Today I googled for the image and found right on Marvel.com a modified version of the image in which he's holding the classic round shield.

Anyone know why this was changed, or if it's a variant cover or something? I don't think one can be fake because one I saw in a Marvel comic and one I saw on Marvel's site.

Astonishing Member

I guess they tried to make this not to look very violent. But changing the shield doesn't have sense. First, the circular shield is now in Sam Wilson's hands, so it doesn't have sense that Miles has it in this fight against Steve Rogers. And second, he could still cut his head/neck with that shield; so it is still a violent cover.

BANNED

Doesn't change much. Miles has enough strength to decapitate with a blunt shield.

BANNED

The round shield is not blunt. It has a very sharp edge

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Wasn't there a similar cover of Steve about to decapitate Nuke with his old round shield during Rick Remender's run?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The round shield has been used to decapitate.

From an article on the top ten comic book moments...

It could be that they figured the iconic circular shield is a better fit for the cover, in terms of impact and promotion.

After the reveal in Steve Rogers #1, an image of Miles fighting Cap carries a different subtext.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    The round shield is not blunt. It has a very sharp edge
    Yea back in the Old Man Logan story arc Logan used the shield to decapitate Red Skull and he's physically weaker than Miles.

Amazing Member

I agree that the round shield could be used to decapitate but.. maybe it's just me, when I see that pointed edge coming down, i don't picture decapitation, i picture something much more brutal happening to his face.
    Obviously I know that even if the situation on the cover did arise, Miles would stop himself before going through with killing Captain America... Even though the Captain America in his old universe treated him like crap

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Maybe this is why all the superheroes are after him in the later solicited issues of his series that still tie into Civil War II. The cover of Civil War II #6, regardless of the shield being changed, is probably the vision from Ulysses that the other superheroes try to prevent.
    The spider is always on the hunt.