Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default The New York City ComicCon...Underwhelming?

Hi everyone,

I was a little underwhelmed at the DC presence at the NYCC this year...Is it my imagination or did they really not provide much in the way of teasers for Rebirth Wave Two? No hints about the Legion of Superheroes, absolutely nothing on the Justice Society of America, no Captain Marvel news, etc. In contrast, I felt Marvel really came to the convention to heavily interact with the fans and talk about what they have coming up for their entire line in the near future. For DC not to even allow time for an audience Q and A at their Rebirth panel seemed almost like a snub. Any other thoughts/opinions on this?

Mighty Member

Hell, no. I got what I wanted and that was a Wildstorm relaunch. And Warren Ellis to boot!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was a little underwhelmed at the DC presence at the NYCC this year...Is it my imagination or did they really not provide much in the way of teasers for Rebirth Wave Two? No hints about the Legion of Superheroes, absolutely nothing on the Justice Society of America, no Captain Marvel news, etc. In contrast, I felt Marvel really came to the convention to heavily interact with the fans and talk about what they have coming up for their entire line in the near future. For DC not to even allow time for an audience Q and A at their Rebirth panel seemed almost like a snub. Any other thoughts/opinions on this?
    Don't you mean SHAZAM!!!!!!?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Don't you mean SHAZAM!!!!!!?
    Marvel now owning the copyright to the name "Captain Marvel" be damned...The Big Red Cheese will ALWAYS be Captain Marvel in my humble opinion!

Yes, Wildstorm was a major announcement and my bad for missing that. What's that old bromide about how you can't please everyone all of the time? Perhaps I'm the proverbial case in point! LOL!

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Hi everyone,

I think it is fair to say it was a bit underwhelming not to get more about Wave 2 during the last big Con of the year. Excited about the Wildstorm news, however

...Is it my imagination or did they really not provide much in the way of teasers for Rebirth Wave Two? No hints about the Legion of Superheroes, absolutely nothing on the Justice Society of America, no Captain Marvel news, etc.
    This was from a newsarama article about the DC "Meet the Publishers" panel.
    16:59

Jumping off the introduction of Jon Kent as the new Superboy, a fan then asked about the Legion of Super-Heroes. "Legion, like Shazam, like JSA, there are certain stories that will be told - just not yet," DiDio said. "Wonder Woman, Superman, Flash, Detective, those are some of our overachievers, but Super-Sons by Tomasi, that's a book we wanted to wait for an opening in Peter's schedule, because he's been writing those characters so well in Superman."
    http://www.newsarama.com/31445-nycc-...ublishers.html

Also, don't forget, DC isn't based in New York anymore, so that may limit how much importance they place on NYCC these days. (Marvel, however, still has its New York City organization.)

DC doesn't really announce things at cons that often anymore, especially when you compare them to Marvel. I've come to not expect much from DC at these big cons. They will probably hold their own announcement thing to give more information on wave two books.

BANNED

You shouldn't get your hopes up regarding DC and news at conventions, they have a general habit of not announcing much of anything outside of Anaheim and SDCC, everywhere else is more of a meet and greet to them and a chance to talk about how stuff is going, but not a lot about whats coming.

Regarding the next wave of Rebirth... I am looking at the solicitations for those since this is where DC appears more comfortable about unloading their news.

I was more underwhelmed by marvel's lack of any announcements; at least dc has a couple of new books for me to look forward to.

I think in general, outside maybe some animated stuff, trailers, and the announcement of a few new series, NYCC was pretty underwhelming this year.

The reveal of half the JLA roster in the lead-up to Comic-Con got more attention then probably anything else DC announced except maybe the new Batwoman book.

BANNED

Yeah this was pretty disappointing, I hardly even noticed it was going on. Could this be the beginning of no convention besides SDCC mattering anymore?

BANNED

Marvel now owning the copyright to the name "Captain Marvel" be damned...The Big Red Cheese will ALWAYS be Captain Marvel in my humble opinion!

Yes, Wildstorm was a major announcement and my bad for missing that. What's that old bromide about how you can't please everyone all of the time? Perhaps I'm the proverbial case in point! LOL!
    If anything it's Johns' fault

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    If anything it's Johns' fault
    Not exactly . . . Geoff Johns wasn't even born until 1973.

Marvel started using the name "Captain Marvel" for a character in 1967.

The first DC comic book that brought back "The Original Captain Marvel!" didn't come out until the end of 1972.

I think they like to announce information of books that have (or will shortly ) been started on.
    With the fickleness of buyers and need for the next big shiny #1 or big event,
    too many new series don't even get the chance to impress a person or worse gets dropped
    with intention of getting it in trade, but just forces the book to be cancelled.
    If they have (and I must believe they do) plans for Legion Of Super-Heroes , Justice Society Of America, and Shazam,
    it is all planned and scheduled for much further into 2017.
    Warren Ellis Wild Storm line will not launch for a few months and still need some iron out.
    But that is a line outside D C Universe now and books will be slowly arriving after the first issue ( even than the line will surely be small,
    like Hanna Barbara and Young Animals line).
    We did see some nice Gal Gadot Wonder Woman statues.