Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I don't understand why comic fans complain about double shipping; you are buying a comic because you like it, no? So you're mad that you get twice as much of said comic?
    Because many comic book readers have a budget.

With the double shipping each month DC is focusing heavily on what they feel can sell while Marvel is throwing a lot of new titles onto the market, trying to figure out what will stick. I really do not feel Marvel will change strategy until they feel the pinch in their wallet. I also wonder if the comic book lines themselves are where Marvel is looking to make money now? Are they just looking for a new success they can use for a movie franchise to pay for the gambles? It's really nice to see DC take over the chart again though. I am not sure I see it as such a die hard competition as some of you. If they are still making money and profit then all is well and good no matter who is in the driver seat for market share with just the books. There is everything from toys, films, and on to consider too.
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 08-12-2016 at 01:13 PM.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

BANNED

Marvel has a very good strategy in constantly launching new titles that will last for only a year but that will make a profit anyway because the speculators will snap up so many copies of the first few issues. DC should copy that idea.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Marvel has a very good strategy in constantly launching new titles that will last for only a year but that will make a profit anyway because the speculators will snap up so many copies of the first few issues. DC should copy that idea.

No, No they should not. It is obvious Marvel's approach isn't working as well as it used to as by now many fans and stores alike are getting tired of Marvel's seasonal approach to comics.

As for DC's double shipping, I actually like it, this way we get a Batman, Superman & Green Lantern book every week between the characters multiple titles. And then Aquaman, Flash & Wonder Woman get two issues a month to keep fans interest up. Overall DC's approach is good for business because it is getting content out at a pace that helps keep readers engaged with the books they are reading. I mean lets be honest, people crave new content for the things they like, the faster they can get that new content the more likely they are to stick with it. And of course it helps they aren't just getting content in a timely manner, but also getting quality content as well. It's a win win!

Anywho glad to see DC in the #1 spot for once, hopefully DC will be able to stay there in August as well and remain Neck & Neck with the competition for the foreseeable future.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08/...-fewer-comics/

Neat figures. Comic industry ain't in the tank for now.
    It's always DC bringing the tide to lift all ships.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Until those speculators realize that 90% of those comics won't be worth the paper they're printed on and stop buying them. It's a horrible business model.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Sort of. Not the full on double-shipping DC is doing right now
    DC produces 1/3 less titles than Marvel, though.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    Because many comic book readers have a budget.
    If you have a budget you already have to make choices about what you buy and don't buy, double shipping doesn't affect that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Until those speculators realize that 90% of those comics won't be worth the paper they're printed on and stop buying them. It's a horrible business model.
    I've seen them doing this for so long that I've decided that it's completely impossible to run them off. So you should just go with it and hose them hard.

If by some miracle they ever do stop doing it though, you can just stop launching those titles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    The guy at TheBeat who does their DC sales coverage went over these last month, for the ones that came out then.

These are all first-month sales, not including subsequent reprints:

New52 Batman #1: 188,420
    Rebirth Batman #1: 308,396

New52 Superman #1: 131,529
    Rebirth Superman #1: 115,918

New52 Wonder Woman #1: 76,214
    Rebirth Wonder Woman #1: 118,511

New52 Flash #1: 129,260
    Rebirth Flash #1: 110,431

New52 Green Lantern #1: 141,682
    Rebirth Green Lanterns #1: 93,401

New52 Detective Comics #1: 114,880
    Rebirth Detective Comics #934: 106,239

New52 Green Arrow #1: 61,680
    Rebirth Green Arrow #1: 76,816

New52 Aquaman #1: 80,302
    Rebirth Aquaman #1: 84,745

New52 Action Comics #1: 182,748
    Rebirth Action Comics #957: 82,884

So I think it varies, depending on the direction they were taking before the relaunch, the direction they took with the particular characters in the relaunch, etc.

However, I think the double-shipping strategy will be key for DC, and I agree that it is as much a part of what is making Rebirth successful as any creative issues.
    I think a lot of those figures you listed don't include additional printings. I didn't get Superman #1 until a month after it came out. I still haven't gotten Flash Rebirth, which I pre-ordered in June. Most stores seem to have under-estimated the success of Rebirth, resulting in a lot of fast selling-outs and some misleading sales figures too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I think a lot of those figures you listed don't include additional printings. I didn't get Superman #1 until a month after it came out. I still haven't gotten Flash Rebirth, which I pre-ordered in June. Most stores seem to have under-estimated the success of Rebirth, resulting in a lot of fast selling-outs and some misleading sales figures too.
    It does not include additional printings, but it doesn't include them for either time. There hasn't been time to get information on additional printings for Rebirth so I intentionally left that out to be apples-to-apples.

The numbers for the new52 with additional printings are much higher.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    If you have a budget you already have to make choices about what you buy and don't buy, double shipping doesn't affect that.
    I believe the problem is that they would prefer to get more variety for that budget. Instead of two Batman books and two Superman books in a month, they'd like to get 1 Batman, 1 Superman, 1 Wonder Woman and 1 Flash for the same money. In order to follow Batman and Superman, they have to drop Wonder Woman and Flash.

It's not problem for me, and I suspect that it's going to turn out to be the just something they have to accept, but I can see where the problem would be.

I have been an exclusive D C reader for many years now.
    I have been enjoying most of rebirth direction and titles very much.
    I used to read a lot of Marvel, but lost interest in most of there characters
    and book directions more an more each changing and re-launching they have had.
    For me, these sales numbers are positive in that they reward both publishers in the
    way I feel they are taking there characters and books.
    I don't expect Marvel will linger in second to long, but hopefully D C and Marvel will
    realize both have there fans and when the focus is directed at them and not just
    looking for the quick cash grab sales and the company will be the better for it..
    I do believe at the core, Marvel is more popular with the general reading audience and
    will much of the drop is there approach over and over and fans not reacting, more
    than more D C readers liking what D C is doing now. The D C numbers are good, but
    not great and the double shipping by D C and Marvel readers apparent dissatisfaction
    with Marvel's seasonal crossover big event for Summer and stretched out releasing of
    new titles from Fall through early Winter may have finale hit the simmering point.........
    May be............ been around comics too long not to be fooled into believing readers will
    not jump all over the next Marvel Now this Fall.

Maybe Marvel will get the message now on how terrible their lineup is currently.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Maybe Marvel will get the message now on how terrible their lineup is currently.
    Or maybe Marvel will just ignore what Dc is doing.

What message has DC sent when many of their books were returnable? Lets see sales once that stops. I have no issue ordering 50 Asian Superman and only sell 10 and return 37. What happens when I can't do that and I ended up only selling 3 of those books and still be stuck with 7-that won't sell unless a late coming reader shows up.

The only message Marvel is getting is a bunch of crybabies who don't like who is on the cover, feel certain books should not be made or can't read what they LIKE because a book they are not reading is around.

How does Moon Girl prevent you from reading about Steve Rogers? I can understand Bruce Banner and Tony but if everyone else is around-you can't blame books you are not reading.

Aside from Wally West-at least here the main complaints was about how guys were WRITTEN with comments about who was MIA.

Nobody here screamed Prez nor Omega Men had no business being made. Nor I can't read Wonder Woman because Jessica Cruz has a book.

The fans here focused on the CONTENT of the book. So Dc got the message that content had to improve to get better sales.

Marvel is not getting that message because the entitlement group is the loud majority.