Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Earth 2 Society #15

Anyone else still reading this series?

After the tedious cliche of the last two issues (loved one of a main character is kidnapped and mind-buggered), this issue offers room for cautious optimism.

Fury's McGuffin is similar to the McGuffin that Olsen used early in the series. But, Abnett may be setting up to have it parallel Green Lantern's power. (Both have the possibility of impacting the world. But, any decision made will have cost:benefit.) The upcoming annual is going to resolve the "loved one is kidnapped" arc (hopefully in a non-stupid way).
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

My comic shop actually sold out of the issue before I could get it, oh well guess i'll just check and see if TFAW has any copies left and order it off of there.

Glad to hear it was a good one though. I think the title has been slowly improving since Abnett took over. But I admit i'm bias as a fan of his, but yea, hope the book continues to grow in a positive direction.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Mighty Member

Just to warn you, I did not say it was "good". It is better than the last two (which is a low bar). So, uh, if you are not happy do not say I talked you out of $3.

I blame DC editorial for most of the problems with this series (though not the cliche of the last two issues). They ran Robinson off the first volume, then squandered Taylor's skills. When Marvel threw money at Taylor, DC put some other guy up to run "Earth 2" in to the ground for the really stupid "Convergence" series. Then, the first 5 or 6 issues of "Earth 2 Society" had to focus on establishing a new status quo (albeit one with potential) for Abnett to play with.

I want to like this series more than I do.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Incredible Member

Wow, Wesley Dodds really lost his head in this issue!

Mighty Member

I thought that was Sato who got killed.

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Just to warn you, I did not say it was "good". It is better than the last two (which is a low bar). So, uh, if you are not happy do not say I talked you out of $3.

I blame DC editorial for most of the problems with this series (though not the cliche of the last two issues). They ran Robinson off the first volume, then squandered Taylor's skills. When Marvel threw money at Taylor, DC put some other guy up to run "Earth 2" in to the ground for the really stupid "Convergence" series. Then, the first 5 or 6 issues of "Earth 2 Society" had to focus on establishing a new status quo (albeit one with potential) for Abnett to play with.

I want to like this series more than I do.
    I think the first seven issues of Earth-2: Society could've been great if DC had put Dan Abnett on the series since issue #1 instead of Daniel H. Wilson who was an all around terrible writer for these characters.

On your main question, I think most readers at this point are just waiting for DC to announce a Rebirth Justice Society title. Earth-2 had strong potential, but all of that got squandered on a series of damaging editorial directions that ultimately killed the franchise. Most of the primary audience for these characters have already moved on and are not likely to miss this sham of an Earth-2 when DC brings back the original Golden Age characters.

This art was atrocious.

I like it though

Loved the last half of the issue--very exciting IMO. I'm not a fan of the art but Abnett continues to do a commendable job pulling this title ever further out of the toilet. Not so sure it just shouldn't be flushed already though...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasBlake View Post
    On your main question, I think most readers at this point are just waiting for DC to announce a Rebirth Justice Society title. Earth-2 had strong potential, but all of that got squandered on a series of damaging editorial directions that ultimately killed the franchise. Most of the primary audience for these characters have already moved on and are not likely to miss this sham of an Earth-2 when DC brings back the original Golden Age characters.
    I for one would miss these characters. And I really hope DC isn't going to axe them and recrap it into a golden age characters series.
    They just need a dedicated writer to do them justice. But I'd hate to lose this version of Alan, Hawkgirl, Val-Zod,...

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I liked the story but the art was just awful in places.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Mighty Member

We were spoiled by the early Taylor/Scott run. Usually a second-tier (at most) series like this does not get art that good to compliment a series where the setting and plot give the artist to shine.

Yeah, I miss those days to. But, they are gone and complaining (while fun) ain't gonna help.

I think that somebody at DC knows the kind of potential that this series has, which is what has saved it. (Conceptually, "Earth 2" is legitimately unique. It is the capes series where the big changes stick.) But, the series was so de-railed before "Convergence" that DC had to spend 6 months re-establishing the setting. Wilson had to do the heavy lifting to give Abnett a workable setting and status quo And, Abnett has elected to make the world-building almost a meta-comment on the series (if not the industry). If nothing else, there have been two "reboot causing" McGuffins thus far.

The people waiting for a new JSA series need to get over it. "Earth 2" is not supposed to be "another JSA series". The point is that it is a comic where the status quo changes are supposed to stick (be they character death or global devastation). Yes, DC has derailed the series twice (impressive considering that they never re-railed it after the first de-railing). But, with a series like this, the best thing to do is move on, rather than try to "fix" things by making them what they were in the past.

The people waiting for a new JSA series need to get over it. "Earth 2" is not supposed to be "another JSA series". The point is that it is a comic where the status quo changes are supposed to stick (be they character death or global devastation). Yes, DC has derailed the series twice (impressive considering that they never re-railed it after the first de-railing). But, with a series like this, the best thing to do is move on, rather than try to "fix" things by making them what they were in the past.
    I wish I shared your optimism about a new JSA series not being incoming, but with DC caving in to all the anti-New52 whiners with Rebirth I'm just not so sure anymore.

Mighty Member

DC is all but certain to launch a new JSA series. But, they may retro-actively write it as part of the mainline universe (Earth 0). I am not sure they would put Abnett on a series they intended to cancel.

DC is all but certain to launch a new JSA series. But, they may retro-actively write it as part of the mainline universe (Earth 0). I am not sure they would put Abnett on a series they intended to cancel.
    Exactly. I think of Abnett as a "Hail Mary" pass. or more realistically, picking up a lottery ticket off the ground. Your odds are very slim, but what the heck. If he pulls numbers up, then great. If he doesn't, well, Wilson had already driven a stake through the book's heart. If DC wasn't at least entertaining the possibility of E2:Society continuing, why not just cancel at issue 7 and call it a day?

Fantastic Member

We were spoiled by the early Taylor/Scott run. Usually a second-tier (at most) series like this does not get art that good to compliment a series where the setting and plot give the artist to shine.

Yeah, I miss those days to. But, they are gone and complaining (while fun) ain't gonna help.

I think that somebody at DC knows the kind of potential that this series has, which is what has saved it. (Conceptually, "Earth 2" is legitimately unique. It is the capes series where the big changes stick.) But, the series was so de-railed before "Convergence" that DC had to spend 6 months re-establishing the setting. Wilson had to do the heavy lifting to give Abnett a workable setting and status quo And, Abnett has elected to make the world-building almost a meta-comment on the series (if not the industry). If nothing else, there have been two "reboot causing" McGuffins thus far.

I think there is room for "Earth 2" and a revival of the more traditional Justice Society of America...

Nothing to "get over," I think it's a pretty much foregone conclusion that a JSA more closely resembling the classic group is on the way back.