Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I thought this was excellent, as always. IMHO people have way too much problem with characters acting in character if it somehow makes them anything less than perfect. Barbara sees the world more in black & white, and Seeley makes it clear that is because she is the daughter of a cop. He even gives an anecdote about her saying Robin Hood is a thief. I think that jibes perfectly with how her character would react to this situation. Meanwhile, Dick has seen with Spyral that there is more grey in the world. That is also a juxtaposition to Batman's view of the world and is really the whole point of the story. If you aren't going to have Bruce here (and honestly he had reservations about Dick doing this again) then Barbara is the perfect character to question the direction he is going right now. Brilliant issue by Seeley

This was cool. I like that Babs challenges Dick, their upbringing are quite different and they shouldn't see things the same way, and im always a fan of Dick pulling out things he learned in the circus. Oh and Fernandez's art has really grown on me. I quite like it. He's very good with storytelling and body language. All that said, im really curios to find out who Raptor really is.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-17-2016 at 11:41 AM.

Spectacular Member dick_wingnut's Avatar

I wasnt so sure after the first issue, but now after 3 the series feels like its rolling and off to a great start.

My only qualm being Barbara acting illogical and still being pissy at the end when her concerns should have been mostly allayed.

Small bone to pick though, digging it so far, especially the Robin Hood bit; I always thought the relatively modest circus/carny lifestyle was an important and underutilized aspect of Dick's backstory. Glad its being used to show how Dick is different from Bruce.

BANNED

I'm still enjoying this series, even if Babs was kind of annoying at the end. I get that they needed someone to question Dick's actions, but they handled it in a way that just made Babs unlikable. If the goal was to help eliminate any chances of a future Dick/Babs pairing, I think Seeley did a good job at that.

Raptor is still the best Nightwing character ever, it's him who really makes this series stand out. If Dixons Nightwing run had a character as good as Raptor, I'd consider it as good as the current run.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I'm still enjoying this series, even if Babs was kind of annoying at the end. I get that they needed someone to question Dick's actions, but they handled it in a way that just made Babs unlikable. If the goal was to help eliminate any chances of a future Dick/Babs pairing, I think Seeley did a good job at that.
    Same here. I'm really enjoying this series. And Babs was annoying throughout the issue, not just the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Raptor is still the best Nightwing character ever, it's him who really makes this series stand out. If Dixons Nightwing run had a character as good as Raptor, I'd consider it as good as the current run.
    I didn't think I would like him at first, but he's starting to grow on me. Now watch DC kill him off.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Same here. I'm really enjoying this series. And Babs was annoying throughout the issue, not just the end.

I didn't think I would like him at first, but he's starting to grow on me. Now watch DC kill him off.
    I don't know what he'd do once this arc finishes, so if they gave him a badass death at the end it wouldn't really bother me. But I'd rather he stay alive as a potential ally of villain for the future. I'm interested to see if Seeley can create some more memorable antagonists for Nightwing, or reintroduce some from Dixons run in a more memorable way.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Excellent issue, the best one so far. Seeing the contrasts between the Bat-Family philosophies and that of the world Dick is entrenched in now were very interesting. If not Bruce (who is way too much of an Alpha to be used here), Babs makes the most sense as a representative of the Batman franchise and Dick's connections to it.

I don't think she was being annoying here at all. She was being too stubborn in her black/white world view, but at the same time, I can see where she was coming from. Dick got lucky here with Raptor deciding to fake that dude's death, but he still had no way of knowing that that's how it would turn out, and he is trusting Raptor a little too easily for all the reasons Barbara said. Everything worked out for the best this time, but will it next time? I think that while Raptor makes a lot of good meta points about Dick learning who he is beneath his link to the Batman world, Dick will also learn that not everything about Raptor lines up with who he is either. Some good lessons from a potentially bad teacher in other aspects.

Glad Dr. Levictus is still around. Let's build that Rogues Gallery baby.

Another brilliant issue from Seeley and Fernandez. They've been putting in incredible work on this run so far. I'm really loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Excellent issue, the best one so far. Seeing the contrasts between the Bat-Family philosophies and that of the world Dick is entrenched in now were very interesting. If not Bruce (who is way too much of an Alpha to be used here), Babs makes the most sense as a representative of the Batman franchise and Dick's connections to it.

I don't think she was being annoying here at all. She was being too stubborn in her black/white world view, but at the same time, I can see where she was coming from. Dick got lucky here with Raptor deciding to fake that dude's death, but he still had no way of knowing that that's how it would turn out, and he is trusting Raptor a little too easily for all the reasons Barbara said. Everything worked out for the best this time, but will it next time? I think that while Raptor makes a lot of good meta points about Dick learning who he is beneath his link to the Batman world, Dick will also learn that not everything about Raptor lines up with who he is either. Some good lessons from a potentially bad teacher in other aspects.

Glad Dr. Levictus is still around. Let's build that Rogues Gallery baby.
    Ya, Babs isn't wrong. Raptor as likable as he is, is totally not a good dude and clearly has suspect motives. At some point the other shoe is gonna drop with him. And quite frankly if there weren't any real consequences, and if his closest friends didn't have any issues or question some of the the questionable choices Dick has made in Grayson and now this that'd be rather lame. There should be an effect to what Dick is doing.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-17-2016 at 03:40 PM.

All-New Member

Loved the issue. One thing I want to point out though is that at the same time Snyder is doing a Batman doesn't need robin "better" than robin plot pint in his story Seely is doing a everything Batman taught you is wrong plot point. It"ll be interesting to see how these points relate and differ as both stories go on.

Hoo boy, Comrade Nightwing! How does Dick manage to sound more sterotypical 'Feel the Bern' millennial than the Batgirl of Burnside?

We already have a Robin Hood figure in the DCU with Green Arrow, no need to tie Dick up in that too.

Also, Robin Hood stole from the rich and gave to the poor, but the rich in question were despots whose source of income was unreasonably high taxes, not entrepreneurs and businessmen (like the man who took him in and finances him.)
    Last edited by Pohzee; 08-17-2016 at 05:30 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    Hoo boy, Comrade Nightwing! How does Dick manage to sound more sterotypical 'Feel the Bern' millennial than the Batgirl of Burnside?

We already have a Robin Hood figure in the DCU with Green Arrow, no need to tie Dick up in that too.
    Yeah the political stuff feels very out of place. No idea why it's there and I hope it's just for this arc. Its the one thing I think Seeley doesn't get about Dick's character, he's always felt pretty apolitical. More interested in helping people on an individual basis than ranting about capitalism or whatever.

Edit: I went back and read that "Robin Hood" bit and it wasn't that bad. It was more to show how wanting to help people has motivated Dick his entire life, and doesn't leave out the possibility that he's matured since then from that mindset.
    Last edited by Atlanta96; 08-17-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Also, Robin Hood stole from the rich and gave to the poor, but the rich in question were despots whose source of income was unreasonably high taxes, not entrepreneurs and businessmen (like the man who took him in and finances him.)
    I don't think the Robin Hood bit was a swipe at Bruce. If anything, living with Bruce would have reinforced Dicks naive idea that solving poverty would prevent crime. The Wayne name is in hospitals, free clinics and Wayne enterprises hires reformed criminals. Dick would have a front row seat to how much good could be done with so much money. When I read it my mind went to Oswald Cobblepot.

Well, the bad "rich guy" he was thinking of Zucco, who is hardly an honest businessman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I don't think the Robin Hood bit was a swipe at Bruce. If anything, living with Bruce would have reinforced Dicks naive idea that solving poverty would prevent crime. The Wayne name is in hospitals, free clinics and Wayne enterprises hires reformed criminals. Dick would have a front row seat to how much good could be done with so much money. When I read it my mind went to Oswald Cobblepot.
    I agree with this. I had a knee-jerk reaction the first time I read that scene and assumed Seeley was projecting his political views onto Dick. But going back I think it's kind of charming, it's Dick describing his outlook at a younger age and his simpler fantasy-inspired worldview. Living with Bruce definitely matured him past it.