Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Suicide Squad's" Joel Kinnaman Sees a Silver Lining In Critics' Poor Reviews

For "Suicide Squad's" Rick Flagg, the bright side to the negative critical reviews is a better movie going experience for the fans.

Full article here.

BANNED

Can't say I've ever been a big fan of Kinnaman as an actor, but I'll give him props for a very mature, well-spoken/reasoned response to all the nonsense revolving around the film. (I'm going to try to get around to seeing it this weekend.)
    Last edited by kalorama; 08-12-2016 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo

I'm finally going to see it tomorrow afternoon with some friends, and it's definitely a mix of excitement and dread that dominates over here.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

Rick Flag has ONE G IN IT, you absolute fool.

It is getting maddening seeing people spell his name wrong, and on COMIC BOOK WEBSITES to boot.

What's next, Supperman? Wonder Wombat?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    Rick Flag has ONE G IN IT, you absolute fool.

It is getting maddening seeing people spell his name wrong, and on COMIC BOOK WEBSITES to boot.

What's next, Supperman? Wonder Wombat?
    Hahaha, Supperman.

BANNED

He's probably right. People are more likely to tell their friends about a movie the critics hated but that they liked than a movie critics hated and they hated. Audiences seem to be responding well to Suicide Squad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    He's probably right. People are more likely to tell their friends about a movie the critics hated but that they liked than a movie critics hated and they hated. Audiences seem to be responding well to Suicide Squad.
    Yeah, the BO is showing it is an audience pleaser. Some of my friends said it was pretty mediocre, but not a bad film overall. Can't be worse than BvS.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Another example of how irrelevant critics on the internet are.

I bet they thought they had power to change peoples minds after they trashed Pixels and Fan4stick.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Another example of how irrelevant critics on the internet are.

I bet they thought they had power to change peoples minds after they trashed Pixels and Fan4stick.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh.../#3e1bc0ec6f4e

perfect article on bad press around suicide squad

Smallville

I enjoyed it. The reviews are ridiculous. They would not have been this hard on any other type of movie. If they don't like or don't "get" comic book movies, they shouldn't review them.

Retired

Actually, I think it's more than a summer tent-pole entertainment. And that might be why the critics are attacking it. If it was your usual dumbed-down movie, it wouldn't be such a big target.

It's because the movie gives morally ambiguous characters married with a frenetic style and a unique vision that critics can't easily pigeon-hole it like other comic book movies. It really does have something to say, but it's not a message everyone wants to hear. To boil that down to one simple sentence, it's this: everyone is a mixed bag of good and evil intentions.

Maybe the critics just wanted a comic book movie that would conform to all the tropes and deliver clearly delineated moral lines.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    I also think harsh reviews get people more tempted to see the flick as does glowing reviews. X men was the only CBM reviewed in the middle and it did pretty mediocre at the BO.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Spectacular Member BertoFlyingFox's Avatar

People need to stop separating "critics" and "fans" as if they're separate entities. There's a helluva lot of cross-over, enough generalizations that mean nothing. Lots of fans are critics...just maybe not professionally. Lots of critics are fans of DC....they just didnt like *this* movie.

Are they no longer fans and critics when it's The Dark Knight we're talking about? Nope, that's called an audience.

Quote Originally Posted by BertoFlyingFox View Post
    People need to stop separating "critics" and "fans" as if they're separate entities. There's a helluva lot of cross-over, enough generalizations that mean nothing. Lots of fans are critics...just maybe not professionally. Lots of critics are fans of DC....they just didnt like *this* movie.

Are they no longer fans and critics when it's The Dark Knight we're talking about? Nope, that's called an audience.
    no actually they dont need to do that at all.

people are separating critics from fans in this case because the reception was night and day on this movie. the majority of critics completely trashed this film while the majority of fans embraced it.

that is something worth talking about because it shows a large disconnect between audiences and the consensus of the critics.

All-New Member

I think he is spot on here.

He's not saying this is "high art" or a classic for the ages. Just saying that the INTENSITY of the critical reaction was weird - and I agree. And while box office, to me, isn't here or there in discussions of "quality", I do think the disparity between box office and reviews, both here and with BvS, says a lot. Not trolling those of you who didn't like SS or BvS. Just saying - again - it's a matter of degree. From the reviews, you'd think these are just the WORST MOVIES "EVER". Its the level of critical reaction here that I think is the issue, what folks keep returning to.

Really like his measured response.