Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Should Night Thrasher get a solo series?

After reading Contest of Champions and Civil War 2: Choosing Sides I'm kinda disappointed that Marvel hasn't really taken the initiative to do anything with Night Thrasher yet. Thought for a moment that he was going to be joining the Ultimates with how they pulled him out of CoC but the last we saw of him it seemed like they were prepping him up to move to Baltimore. About a decade has passed since Dwayne's been gone and I can't help but wonder if perhaps now is the time for Marvel to give Night Thrasher his own solo series again. With most of the old guard being phased out to make way for characters like Riri, Khamela, Miles, etc. it feels like now would be the best time for Dwayne to come back. The world is very different from what it was when he "died", he missed one civil war and has returned just in time to land smack in the middle of another one just as it started. The Inhumans have integrated themselves into the general population while the mutants have rapidly gone on the decline. Parker Industries has all but replaced Stark's companies. Old faces have been replaced by new blood.

I would love to see Dwayne featured in a solo series focusing on him working out Baltimore and trying to pick up the pieces of his shattered life. His team, company, and resources gone. Would be cool to see how he would adapt to his new environment without the backing of the friends and money he originally had during his run with the New Warriors. Might be interesting to see him become more of a hacktivist considering his skill set, with the series expanding on him making use of his talents as a weapon designer and computer literacy. Transition him away from some of the more 90's tropes Marvel has bogged him down in and shift him towards more of a Watch_Dog's 2 vibe.

Thoughts?

Yes. They should absolutely have Brandon Easton write a Night Thrasher solo set in Baltimore. Night Thrasher's never been a favourite character of mine, but I like him well enough, and Easton's short with him was cool.

BANNED

I'm not sure it would sell. The last couple of New Warriors has struggled to take off so I'm not all that certain Dwayne could carry a book on his own.

I would love or Night Thrasher to get an ongoing. He's always been a character I've loved and followed and Draegwolf has some good ideas on how they can go about writing it.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

The Only things I remember of Night Trasher are these (new warriors included but it is talking about a solo book), not sure if a new series will work or not (well, actually we are gonna have solo books of characters like Solo, Slapstick, Prowler ...)

A limited series of 4 issues.

And an ongoing book that lasted 21 issues.

Mighty Member

Imo, he would have been a better choice than Prowler.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    I'm not sure it would sell. The last couple of New Warriors has struggled to take off so I'm not all that certain Dwayne could carry a book on his own.
    Solo. Prowler. Foolkiller. Slapstick. Now has plenty of books that everyone knows won't do well. The point isn't for these books to run for 50 issues. The point is to try to last a year. Essentially, they're maxi-series. So a Night Thrasher maxi-series would be fine. It would do what it's expected to do.

Yes please. I'd definitely buy it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Solo. Prowler. Foolkiller. Slapstick. Now has plenty of books that everyone knows won't do well. The point isn't for these books to run for 50 issues. The point is to try to last a year. Essentially, they're maxi-series. So a Night Thrasher maxi-series would be fine. It would do what it's expected to do.
    Yes, but Solo, Prowler and Slapstick featured on best selling books like AMS and D&MFM while Night Trasher was in a very low selling book. So you have characters that have already been exposed to 50-70k readers and a character that has been read by 15k readers, it makes more sense for the first three to be in a solo.

Yes and I would read all 12 issues

A Night Thrasher solo would be cool, but I'd also love to see the classic New Warriors back .

Astonishing Member

Given that Solo is getting a new solo, yeah, Night Thrasher should absolutely get thrown against the wall.

Get Fabian Nicieza to write one!
    We need better comics

Incredible Member

I think that considering all the solo series centered around obscure characters that Marvel is putting out in the next few months now is as good a time as any for Night Thrasher to be featured in his own solo. Just needs the right creative team to work on it and pretty sure people would be interested in it, I think Warren Ellis would be a shoe in for the cyberpunk angle I was mentioning earlier since that's his bread and butter. Peter David would be fun since he excels at character development.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Love me some Night Thrasher, a solo could be awesome, count me in