Incredible Member

Default Squirrel Girl Movie?

Ok, so CBR posted this thread a few days back, with an actress expressing interest in playing Squirrel Girl.
    http://community.comicbookresources....-Squirrel-Girl

Just today I read this article from a non-comics reader about casting an olympian in the role.
    http://www.pajiba.com/miscellaneous/...irrel-girl.php

My question is: WTF? Does ANYBODY really want a squirrel girl movie? Where is this apparent groundswell of interest in the concept coming from? Is Marvel pushing these stories or is there really interest in this d-list comedic character helming a solo film (franchise?)? I love the current comic and everything, but come on.

I think Marvel should make Squirrel Girl their first Young Adult targeted Netflix show. A short season of 30min episodes. Something Like The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt with action sequences. That's a market they haven't targeted yet.

A question to the OP: why so hostile? What's the downside of a Squirrel Girl movie? Like, why not do it, if there is enough support? People are writing articles like the ones you posted because they do want to see a SG movie. What would be so terrible about giving them one?

I'm not really up for a live action Squirrel Girl, but an animated disney/pixar squirrel girl? That could be awesome.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I think Marvel should make Squirrel Girl their first Young Adult targeted Netflix show. A short season of 30min episodes. Something Like The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt with action sequences. That's a market they haven't targeted yet.

A question to the OP: why so hostile? What's the downside of a Squirrel Girl movie? Like, why not do it, if there is enough support? People are writing articles like the ones you posted because they do want to see a SG movie. What would be so terrible about giving them one?
    That's a very good idea, though I tend to agree with the other post that a Pixar-style film would be sweet.

I'm not being hostile to the idea necessarily, as I think the comic is one of the most important ones they're publishing and I like it quite a bit. I just don't see the character working as a feature-length, live-action film set in the MCU that they've established, especially when there are characters that would be a better fit (like Ms. America Chavez) who haven't even been teased. Also, I get the sense sometimes that companies launch "fake grassroots" buzz online to gauge interest in a potential product, so seeing these two wholly different articles from totally different sources in the span of one week kind of irritated me. Maybe it's legit interest and I'm just a weird viral-marketing-conspiracy-theorist. My bad, if so.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    My question is: WTF? Does ANYBODY really want a squirrel girl movie? Where is this apparent groundswell of interest in the concept coming from? Is Marvel pushing these stories or is there really interest in this d-list comedic character helming a solo film (franchise?)
    After Guardians and Ant-Man, the concept of a character being too d-list or obscure to work in a movie has kind of gone out a window. Marvel could put out a Forbush Man film at this point and it'd still probably make movie.