Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Default What makes Spider-Man Great? Why do you like Spider-Man?

For me, I always enjoyed the character for the fact that he was a type of classic superhero representation of how someone can be there to struggle with internal conflict while at the same time being a person who struggles to stick up for the little guy while still fighting the bigger bullies in his rogues gallery?

Got other reasons why you like Spider-Man? Comment away!

It's not that he's a true everyman, but that he'll respond to situations the way you'd expect a normal person to. He might be unhappy about having to rescue someone he knows to be a jerk, but he'll do it. He'll also struggle with the same things regular people do (in addition to the superhero stuff.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Part of it for me is just that reading a Spider-Man comic feels like reading a comic starring one of your friends. Also, his villains are among the best in comics.

Oh where to start !

First of all, I love his origin story. In my opinion, it is the best superhero origin story in all the comic book medium. He gets his superpowers and does what ? Uses them for his own benefits. That is how a normal person would react. Then he starts doing the right thing not because he wants justice like Batman or is just an inherently great person like Superman but because of guilt. 'With great powers there must also come great responsibility' is the best line ever stated in a comic.

Nearly all his reactions to any situation is like a normal person. And even though he has one of the worst lucks he never becomes whiny. Always does the right thing or at least tries to do. Makes being a superhero both fun and heartbreaking at the same time.

His supporting characters are probably the best in comics. And his villains are amazing.

And many more things that I can't put into words.

For me, the #1 trait that always appealed to me was he was/is a New Yorker and a (mostly) down-to-earth relatable guy. Unfortunately, it's a facet of his story that has been compromised a bit in recent years; I thought he lost some of it when he and MJ married and she was earning super-model $$ and then again, moreso, in this recent run where Peter is running a worldwide tech company. I have no doubt the story will come around again to where that company goes kaput but I like the character best when he is always struggling a bit in his civilian life (though not a "loser") and feels like someone one might know who grew up in Queens.

Also, he should always be somewhat in awe of the big-time heroes like Thor and Cap; while Spidey is clearly not a rookie hero, his "street-level" status always meant he shouldn't be as comfortable with heroes like that as he has been in recent years and should always feel just a bit beneath their level. It's a fine line to write but one that I thought Marvel handled very well in the '70's and '80's stories where Spidey would just kinda freeze up and be in awe if Captain America showed up on the scene.

Amazing Member

ask a 4 year old kid.. my answer is pretty much the same

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Also, he should always be somewhat in awe of the big-time heroes like Thor and Cap; while Spidey is clearly not a rookie hero, his "street-level" status always meant he shouldn't be as comfortable with heroes like that as he has been in recent years and should always feel just a bit beneath their level. It's a fine line to write but one that I thought Marvel handled very well in the '70's and '80's stories where Spidey would just kinda freeze up and be in awe if Captain America showed up on the scene.
    don't mean to completely change the subject, but this reminded me of Daredevil as well. One of my all-time favorite moments was in Born Again when Captain America shows up on the scene and it's like time stops. Frank Miller understood that concept of a street level hero crossing paths with one of the heavy hitters

Because of this panel:
    AF13.jpg