Page 1 of 78 123451151 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Like "Batman V Superman," "Suicide Squad" Experiences Steep Box-Office Plunge

The Warner Bros. film plummeted 79 percent at the Friday box office, but will finish its second weekend on top.

Full article here.

BANNED

Good reviews or bad reviews, its the word of mouth that always comes down to things. Your movie might be an important art piece on feminism and women lead movies or just pure anarchic punk rock art movie, but when all things considered, it is the audience that choose whetever a movie has legs or not.

Fantastic Member

Well...gotta credit For for listing some of the crappy Xmen movies that Fox has put out. I hope that Warner eventually corrects the ship. I'd like to see them put out some successful movies.

BANNED

Misleading percentage.

It dropped that much comparing this Friday as a single day to last week's Thursday AND Friday. The correct drop comparison is between Friday and Friday, which is 44 down to 13.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Blockbusters and would be blockbusters continue to cannibalize one another. Good this for SS though, it that in one week it's made more domestically than Star Trek Beyond, Ghostbusters and X-Men Apocalypse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    Misleading percentage.

It dropped that much comparing this Friday as a single day to last week's Thursday AND Friday. The correct drop comparison is between Friday and Friday, which is 44 down to 13.
    According to box office mojo, it made $64,893,248 on Friday, Aug. 5, the day it officially opened. Even if there were some late Thursday early screenings mixed in, it seems very unlikely that they pulled in $20 mil.

If CBR is gonna do these clickbait articles they could at least try and ascertain what a bad number is.
    Week to week it made a lot of money so you expect a steep drop for a single day comparison compared to a day with previews added in
    I thought we went over this last week with the friday to saturday drop nonsense
    Did Civil War flop in its 2nd week with its 74% drop?
    Did Gaurdians of the Galaxy flop? because last I checked it didn't even make 13 million on its second friday.

Fantastic Member

The bad reviews scared me away but I'll watch it on Blu Ray. But, I thought it would max out at $450 million but it might make it to $500 million or maybe more. That's pretty good money for a mediocre movie about a bunch of super-villains. It's probably going to do well enough to merit a sequel, so I'd consider it a success. Hope Wonder Woman gets better reviews though. I won't be going to DC movies during the first weekend until I see reviews first as I don't trust them, especially when there's a review embargo. But, kudos to Suicide Squad for making some bank!

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Good reviews or bad reviews, its the word of mouth that always comes down to things. Your movie might be an important art piece on feminism and women lead movies or just pure anarchic punk rock art movie, but when all things considered, it is the audience that choose whetever a movie has legs or not.
    Totally agreed. People tend to give critical reception far too much credit for the success or failure of a movie, when it's the word of mouth. Always.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-13-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Civil War dropped 74%... just saying.

BANNED

Drop percentage competition is silly, because the bigger they come the harder they fall.

Civil War had an massive opening so of course it would drop, but it also had a 5 day opening weekend (at least in Europe it did) among other circumstances.

Astonishing Member

Fourth biggest movie of the summer even with the horrible reviews. Good for SS. Should have dropped more considering the negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    According to box office mojo, it made $64,893,248 on Friday, Aug. 5, the day it officially opened. Even if there were some late Thursday early screenings mixed in, it seems very unlikely that they pulled in $20 mil.
    20.5M on Thursday the 4th is what Mojo reports, too.

Astonishing Member

This is truly insane. It raked in almost 60 million midweek which is nuts and they talk about the weekend drop? Its blowing by 200 million this weekend! More than star trek freaking independence day x men ghostbusters and every other summer movie with actual live actors in it has made this summer. It passed hulk cap both thors antman most of the x men and will pass cap 2 all of the x men both of the new spideys and lord knows what else. I have a headache

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    This is truly insane. It raked in almost 60 million midweek which is nuts and they talk about the weekend drop? Its blowing by 200 million this weekend! More than star trek freaking independence day x men ghostbusters and every other summer movie with actual live actors in it has made this summer. It passed hulk cap both thors antman most of the x men and will pass cap 2 all of the x men both of the new spideys and lord knows what else. I have a headache
    Excluding Ghostbusters- all those other films didn't have fans trying to shut down a website over opinions.

Nor were their fans openly hostile to anyone who didn't care for the film.

Plus how much hype was on this film considering the cast vs some of those others?

That is why you see talk of the weekend drop.

Fanboy behavior and movie hype. Remove that an you don't see these click bait ads.