Page 21 of 78 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
    You never know how a movie is going to play honestly. Bvs had the unfortunate task of following up deadpool after that movie spoofed the genre and was a massive hit. If a movie hits with audiences then it hits but you can always expect a billion dollars.
    Well, Jungle Book won't hit that without a lot of help from Japan during its run. Finding Dory also looks like it'll fall short of one billion.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    no, this movie does not "need" critics on their side as it did just fine (better than hoped) without it.
    I didn't say this movie needed critics. Yes, it's going to do well despite being a bad movie. But it could do so much better by being a good movie. In this case, being bad didn't hurt it enough to make it unprofitable, but you don't want to keep tempting fate with bad movies.

but tell you what. you can keep the critics. and if you don't like the dceu movies, then the door is that way.
    Except that completely misses the point. First, this whole "eff the critics" is nonsense. You can make money on a bad movie, but it's a risky idea. DC has been getting by so far, but chances are it's not going to last unless the quality improves. Second, I'd really rather DC start making good movies. That would be preferable to "walking out the door". But thanks. Nice to know you can't handle someone disagreeing with you.

there are plenty of people who obviously do like the movie a lot. as far as your personal disappointments, then i'm sure something will come along that you actually do like. and in that case i wish you well.
    I haven't heard many people say they liked it a lot. The good things I've heard are that it had some flaws, but it was fun. This also isn't about my personal disappointments. This is about WB making subpar DC movies. For me personally, I'd like them to improve so I have good DC movies to watch. But for their sake, they should improve too, or else they're going to start losing money.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Venom View Post
    Most movies earn most of their money in the first three weeks of release. The reality is, you'd prefer more front loading because the theatrical cut gets greater with each week.
    Yes, the first three weeks, not the first week. A decent movie generally makes more than half its total after the first weekend. BvS made more than half its total in its first weekend. Suicide Squad is going the same direction. Yes, the studio gets a greater cut of the first week, which is why we see bigger opening weekends more and more, but they still want to see prolonged interest because that means most people liked it.

Let's say for the sake of argument that I agreed with you on the quality of these movies. The DCEU still has grossed over $2 billion worldwide in just three movies. It's not like they're flopping, so it gives WB the chance to shuffle the deck chairs (already done) instead of hitting the reset button.
    Yes, they're doing well enough to keep going, but they're not having break-out hits. Those three movies included Superman and Superman/Batman. Those movies should make a lot of money regardless of anything else. Those are their big guns. As you said they already shuffled the deck chairs, so obviously that $2 billion isn't good enough.

I was more mixed on GotG, but that's a personal taste issue. Critical reception does help. You'll get no argument here. Word of mouth also plays a role as well, which is far more important than critical reception.

Well, $290 million domestic would be closer to Man of Steel's total domestic box office. I'm thinking it's going to crack $300 million domestic. I don't think anyone expected the movie to make $350+ million domestic.
    No, either of those numbers beats expectations. But good reception means tens of millions of dollars in a case like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegtam View Post
    And, as you can see, movies need critics on their side..
    I didn't say this movie needed critics..
    but that's neither here nor there.

listen, do i wish the critics had been less harsh on this film? you are darn right i do. frankly because i feel the criticism this movie got was not deserved, not by a long shot. but that's a personal opinion i hold and it is obviously different from yours.

would it be nice if critics had helped the success? sure. who doesn't want that? but did this film need the critics? heck no! it's performing really well, better than expected for a bunch of lowlife super-villains, and definitely better than any august movie i can remember. or any movie this whole summer!

in fact, i think this movie has gone a long way to helping other journalists begin to point out the log in their fellow critics eyes. as you can see from this new forbes article, which does a good job of calling everyone and their brother out on this movie (both side): http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh.../#2646f18f6f4e

It's a very MEH movie so not surprised it dropped. It's hype was also killed by BvS.

Fantastic Member

I honestly believe SS is going to be #1 next week as well. Sausage Party is got the same cinemascore as BvS, so expect a drop there. Pete's Dragon and Kubo will split audience.

Ben Hur has been tracking to be a bomb from the beginning

Spectacular Member

but that's neither here nor there.
    Thank you for pointing out your error.

listen, do i wish the critics had been less harsh on this film? you are darn right i do. frankly because i feel the criticism this movie got was not deserved, not by a long shot. but that's a personal opinion i hold and it is obviously different from yours.

would it be nice if critics had helped the success? sure. who doesn't want that? but did this film need the critics? heck no! it's performing really well, better than expected for a bunch of lowlife super-villains, and definitely better than any august movie i can remember. or any movie this whole summer!
    So far, but the two recent movies it compares to best both did better in the long run. Deadpool and GotG will both end up with higher grosses, at the very least domestically. And GotG was an August release.

in fact, i think this movie has gone a long way to helping other journalists begin to point out the log in their fellow critics eyes. as you can see from this new forbes article, which does a good job of calling everyone and their brother out on this movie (both side): http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh.../#2646f18f6f4e
    There is no log in critics' eyes. All they do is review the movie. The box office writer at Forbes, Scott Mendelson has good stuff to say on this subject. This film actually proves critics right. It opened huge, because first weekend has nothing to do with reviews or word or mouth and everything to do with marketing and general buzz. After that the drops tell the story, which is why this is news. Critic reviews and word of mouth were not great-to-poor, so it's dropping fast.

I'll have to read the whole article, though. Only had a chance to get to the first couple paragraphs.

Thank you for pointing out your error.

So far, but the two recent movies it compares to best both did better in the long run. Deadpool and GotG will both end up with higher grosses, at the very least domestically. And GotG was an August release.

There is no log in critics' eyes. All they do is review the movie. The box office writer at Forbes, Scott Mendelson has good stuff to say on this subject. This film actually proves critics right. It opened huge, because first weekend has nothing to do with reviews or word or mouth and everything to do with marketing and general buzz. After that the drops tell the story, which is why this is news. Critic reviews and word of mouth were not great-to-poor, so it's dropping fast.

I'll have to read the whole article, though. Only had a chance to get to the first couple paragraphs.
    Look at the 10-day total for August and compare it to GOTG , explain that?

Forbes won't let me read unless I'll let them slip through my add blocker, so their indubitably excellent insights will stay hidden from my perusal.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    Less hype for GoTG but way better word of mouth. Not sure what your point is. When its all said and done GOTG will probaly have a higher gross even if you subtract the china boxxoffice to make it fair. Despite having an opening a fraction the size of SS. GOTG was loved and had great word of mouth. The movie had great legs and stayed in theaters for a long time. It made something silly like 22m its 6th weekend
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 08-15-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Ultimate Member

SS would have likely made more than GoTG with better legs.

As it stands, there's really no chance of that unless it has better holds from here on out.

That's where audience appreciation comes in.

Spectacular Member

Just read the rest of the article. He makes some good points, and I can see the whole "narrative" issue. That does occur throughout media. And I don't doubt that some critics aren't giving honest reviews, but it's hard to imagine that and the narrative aspect make that big a difference in cases like this.

Well this horse is dead, time to stop beating it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    Explain what? I already addressed this. Yes, Suicide Squad had a better first 10 days, but GotG will have a better total in the end. SS won up to this point, but from here on out it looks like GotG will be the winner. That generally indicates that GotG was the better movie, or at least the better-received movie, while SS had bigger hype leading up to it.

Explain what? I already addressed this. Yes, Suicide Squad had a better first 10 days, but GotG will have a better total in the end. SS won up to this point, but from here on out it looks like GotG will be the winner. That generally indicates that GotG was the better movie, or at least the better-received movie, while SS had bigger hype leading up to it.
    Don't mention that GOTG went way over budget or anything. It's not important.