Page 23 of 78 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegtam View Post
    No, the opening weekend and its relation to the overall number are relevant too. It gives you an indication of audiences overall reaction.
    No, only the overall box office gives you that.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post

Wonder Woman and Doctor Strange trailers being released on the same day was telling. Both were good, but Strange was clearly the more polished film, and generated the greater interest. Could be because that film is further into production though.
    They were released at the same time because they debuted at Comic-Con, unless you're saying they could have been on different days of the con. And yes, Dr. Strange comes out in a few months. Wonder Woman is still almost a year away. So, Strange is going to be more polished at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
    I care about whether these movies are good or not, and so far, the DCEU is 0 for 3.
    I'd put it closer to 3 for 3.

I don't know where you're coming up with this "first three weeks" stuff, but that's not a good measurement. The biggest point is what happens after reviews and word of mouth have their say. That's after the first weekend. No one is talking about MCU front-loading because it's not particularly. They tend to have pretty good legs as far as movies like these go.
    Front loading means it's earning most of its profits in the first three weeks. The whole point is most movies do that if they aren't named Titanic. Movies start being shown in less theaters after the third week. A longer run adds more profit, but it also has to be profitable to theaters as the weeks go by. This is why theaters take a bigger cut the further out it goes. So that studio profit starts dropping during longer theatrical runs and it becomes more of a game of what's good for us is good for you.

No, they didn't. They might have made some tweaks in certain ways, but they didn't make any significant changes. Not like rearranging their whole business model like DC did.
    Like Warner Bros. did for every division and not just DC Entertainment. This is the same studio that just grossed $1 billion domestic for the 16th straight year. Why would they not want to emulate Disney's structural model if that's one of WB's biggest competitors? If it was just a reaction to BvS, they wouldn't have overhauled the entire thing. I'm not sure what's so difficult about this.

$2 billion isn't good enough when you're spending $700+ million, and the trend is that you get the people who really want to see it right away but not much else. It's enough that they're not completely panicking or giving up, but it's low enough that they feel the need to make significant changes.
    They're not spending $700+ million per film. Someone would get fired if they were spending that much money on a movie.

It has not been very profitable. BvS barely made money at all. It's enough that they're making some money, but not a lot, considering the size of the movies. And we can hope it improves, but you can't say it's going to. It will, if they improve the quality of the offerings. If they don't, chances are it will fade away.
    In what universe did BvS barely make money? I mean, early in its theatrical run, Forbes made a prediction that BvS would only net $270+ million in profits for the studio compared to Man of Steel's $300 million in profits. If $270 million is barely making money, I want your job.

Spectacular Member

Yet again, nope. The opening weekend gives you an idea of how much hype led up to the movie. Opening weekend has almost nothing to do with the actual quality of the movie, especially when reviews are embargoed until a few days before release. Then you get to see how much of the final total was from pre-release hype, and how much was from people actually liking the movie.

BANNED

They were released at the same time because they debuted at Comic-Con, unless you're saying they could have been on different days of the con.
    I'm just saying that them being released on the same day made for an easy comparison, and Strange came out on top pretty clearly in terms of quality.

Wonder Woman and Doctor Strange trailers being released on the same day was telling. Both were good, but Strange was clearly the more polished film, and generated the greater interest.
    That is the opposite of the consensus.

BANNED

Depends on when you count the start of DCEU. DC movies, in terms of quality, were beating the pants off Marvel (X-Men, Iron Man, Spider-Man, whatever) until MoS was released. Dark Knight Rises is legitimately questionable. But since then, the quality of Marvel films has broadly been much higher than DC films, despite obvious outliers like Fant4stic or later X-Men/Wolverine films.

Wonder Woman and Doctor Strange trailers being released on the same day was telling. Both were good, but Strange was clearly the more polished film, and generated the greater interest. Could be because that film is further into production though.

DC has had it's outliers too, but it would be a bold fan who suggested that Superman IV or Supergirl was lower quality than Fant4stic or Wolverine.
    Obviously I'm talking about from Man of Steel and onward.

Superman 1&2, Batman '89, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight...all damn good movies.

But Man of Steel, BvS and Suicide Squad were all subpar.

I just want good comic adaptations. Don't care about box office numbers or this lame ass, childish Marvel vs DC fanboy war.

BANNED

No, the opening weekend and its relation to the overall number are relevant too. It gives you an indication of audiences overall reaction.
    Yet again, nope. The opening weekend gives you an idea of how much hype led up to the movie. Opening weekend has almost nothing to do with the actual quality of the movie, especially when reviews are embargoed until a few days before release. Then you get to see how much of the final total was from pre-release hype, and how much was from people actually liking the movie.
    Only the audience's overall reaction matters. Hype is meaningless. Only the overall total means anything at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GSwarthout View Post
    That is the opposite of the consensus.
    LOL

/10 char

I'm just saying that them being released on the same day made for an easy comparison, and Strange came out on top pretty clearly in terms of quality.
    The buzz for them both is still pretty high. I'd go with your idea that Strange was further along in production, so it earned more buzz. We're only a few months away from that release. Wonder Woman isn't being released until next summer, so we'll see how high the hype gets in the months leading up to its release date. I think most of us are excited to finally see magic in the MCU.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Venom View Post
    Front loading means it's earning most of its profits in the first three weeks.
    This is simply incorrect. Almost all movies these days make most of their money in the first three weeks. Front-loading is about the first weekend/first week.

Like Warner Bros. did for every division and not just DC Entertainment. This is the same studio that just grossed $1 billion domestic for the 16th straight year. Why would they not want to emulate Disney's structural model if that's one of WB's biggest competitors? If it was just a reaction to BvS, they wouldn't have overhauled the entire thing. I'm not sure what's so difficult about this.
    I'm not sure what's so difficult either. They overhauled the whole thing because that was their best path forward, but it was spurred by the DCEU.

They're not spending $700+ million per film. Someone would get fired if they were spending that much money on a movie.
    Good thing I didn't say they were. You gave the $2 billion number. I gave the $700 million number in relation to that, as in they're spending over $700 million on those 3 movies that grossed $2 billion.

In what universe did BvS barely make money? I mean, early in its theatrical run, Forbes made a prediction that BvS would only net $270+ million in profits for the studio compared to Man of Steel's $300 million in profits. If $270 million is barely making money, I want your job.
    That number includes everything: TV, video, merchandise, etc. We're talking about box office profit because that's the most important thing for the studios. Depending on the report you look at, it needed to make anywhere from $600-800 million to break even. It made a little under $900 million. Making a profit of $100-300 million is good, but not necessarily great when you're spending over $300 million to make it, especially since they made less profit from that than from Man of Steel. "Barely making money" is a reference to the ratio of cost vs. profit.

Wonder Woman and Doctor Strange trailers being released on the same day was telling. Both were good, but Strange was clearly the more polished film, and generated the greater interest. Could be because that film is further into production though..
    sorry, but by what measure?

because looking at youtube today, wonder woman (07/23) has a total of 23,948,199 total views --- 224,876 likes -- and 7,812 dislikes.

whereas doctor strange (07/23) has a total of 3,231,736 views -- 46,407 likes -- and 862 dislikes.

i'm no mathematician, but it looks like ww has the larger attention draw? and certainly more positive interest.

cbr's own poll from time of release has wonder woman listed as the audience favorite (out of all of them). doctor strange is #3: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...6&view=results

Spectacular Member

Only the audience's overall reaction matters. Hype is meaningless. Only the overall total means anything at all.
    Sorry, but still nope, and you're not even listening. The overall total doesn't tell you the whole story on the audience's reaction to the quality of the movie itself. Again, the opening weekend is about marketing and hype, not about the quality of the movie. What happens in week 2-the end is what tells you what people think of the movie.

LOL

/10 char
    Sorry that the consensus doesn't line up with your worldview, LOL.