Page 50 of 78 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i am no longer interested in discussing finer points with those of you who wish to fantasize that this is a bizarro dimension where ss is a flop, audiences reacted poorly to the film, the movie itself is at risk, and dceu has some serious trouble to manage going forward.

you can do so, but you'll be doing it with more replies to yourself, i'm afraid. or at least your fellows who are dead set on defying reality in attempt to drag this movie down. which isn't working, by the way.

But...only 1 of those things has been anyone's opposing view for like 20 pages lol...nobody called it a flop (except for people saying people are calling it a flop), nobody said it was at "risk" (risk of what btw? Not beating MoS? Not beating DP? Risk of topping the box office again? Those are feasible things though), and nobody said the dceu had "serious" anything (instead one or two people offered an analysis and opinion about ways WB movies could actually be more profitable, which a person can agree or disagree with but nobody said anything about "serious trouble"), and finally, given the information (vast drop in RT and imdb audience score, the poll on CBR, discussions on social media) it's reasonable to believe that SS was not as well received by viewers, this doesn't mean YOU still couldn't love it or that it's a flop.

So your idea of a people living in a bizarro world constitutes people offering box office analysis and believing that the money might not as satisified audiences that much? None of which says you couldn't like the movie or that it was a flop btw.

correct me if i'm mistaken, but wasnt the main point of conversation yesterday based off of some insistence that this movie is not "defying critics," even though every major publication on the topic has said otherwise? and when challenged to produce material to back up that claim, not a single person could do so and instead went back to posting facts and figures - and at the same time, taking issue with "spinning data" to fit an argument.

you can make all the concessions you like, but when you lace your comments with that sort of pedantry, it becomes a bit frustrating to engage with.

edit: and for the record, yet another publication has come out saying the exact same thing about suicide squad's ability to "defy critics."

the feedback i saw yesterday was that some claims about ss defying critics was from over a week ago, and the data should probably change. well this time, it's the guardian, and it was posted just 17 hours ago.

but i suppose they have no idea what they are talking about either.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...d-movie-review
    Last edited by AcesX1X; 08-22-2016 at 04:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

$21M this weekend compared to GOTG $25M for the same weekend of its run.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post

2 thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    $21M this weekend compared to GOTG $25M for the same weekend of its run.
    SS was down to 3,924 theaters this weekend, so it ended up with a weekend average of $5,278 per theater. By comparison, GOTG was only in 3,697 theaters in its third weekend, but still pulled in more money overall and per theater ($6,793) despite not being #1 at the box office. SS also played in nearly 200 more theaters its first two weeks than GOTG did. SS is slowing down quicker than GOTG did even though its remaining #1 longer than GOTG did. If SS doesn't get unseated from #1 this weekend by Don't Breathe or Mechanic: Resurrection, Morgan will unseat it the following weekend. No movie next weekend gets to enjoy a nationwide release, but box office splitting can still potentially unseat SS. It's having a really good run so far. SS is definitely a hit without question.
    Last edited by Ace Venom; 08-22-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Venom View Post
    SS was down to 3,924 theaters this weekend, so it ended up with a weekend average of $5,278 per theater. By comparison, GOTG was only in 3,697 theaters in its third weekend, but still pulled in more money overall and per theater ($6,793) despite not being #1 at the box office. SS also played in nearly 200 more theaters its first two weeks than GOTG did. SS is slowing down quicker than GOTG did even though its remaining #1 longer than GOTG did. If SS doesn't get unseated from #1 this weekend by Don't Breathe or Mechanic: Resurrection, Morgan will unseat it the following weekend. No movie next weekend gets to enjoy a nationwide release, but box office splitting can still potentially unseat SS. It's having a really good run so far. SS is definitely a hit without question.
    Exactly but I guarantee someone will view your post as "hating" and probably say you called SS a flop or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMatrix View Post
    Exactly but I guarantee someone will view your post as "hating" and probably say you called SS a flop or something.
    I'd hope not. I tried to illustrate the anatomy of two August hits. Context is pretty important overall. SS is technically performing stronger in per theater average than BvS did in its third weekend despite the fact that BvS pulled in $23.3 million in its third weekend while playing in more theaters (4,102). BvS had a third weekend theater average of $5,696. But due to the closeness of average dollar share per theater (BvS averaged less than $100 per theater), SS is performing statistically close to BvS in its third weekend despite making slightly less money.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Why are still consistently responding? I havent agreed with everything you have said but whenever you make a good point its ignored or twisted. No amount of facts are gonna help anyone in this thread see reason. This thread is almost 50pages of mostly you saying something and then getting attacked by the same 4people over and over.
    I blame it on boredom.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    correct me if i'm mistaken, but wasnt the main point of conversation yesterday based off of some insistence that this movie is not "defying critics," even though every major publication on the topic has said otherwise? and when challenged to produce material to back up that claim, not a single person could do so and instead went back to posting facts and figures - and at the same time, taking issue with "spinning data" to fit an argument.

you can make all the concessions you like, but when you lace your comments with that sort of pedantry, it becomes a bit frustrating to engage with.

edit: and for the record, yet another publication has come out saying the exact same thing about suicide squad's ability to "defy critics."

the feedback i saw yesterday was that some claims about ss defying critics was from over a week ago, and the data should probably change. well this time, it's the guardian, and it was posted just 17 hours ago.

but i suppose they have no idea what they are talking about either.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...d-movie-review
    Or you could actually address the argument I made. You can post thousands of links with the same article, if you want, but I've already explained why it's not defying critics and why you see all those articles. Once someone posts an article like that, everyone else picks it up. Saying it's "defying critics" is a good, attention-grabbing headline. And as is the case with so many such headlines, it's not accurate. The fact is, if it was defying critics, it would be having much better drops.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Squad may hold 4th week in a row. Next weeks films are opening in less theaters then this weeks Hur, Dogs and Kubo.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegtam View Post
    I've already explained why it's not defying critics
    Here's a fresh link for you: http://www.avclub.com/article/weeken...campaign=feeds

Here's the pertinent quote: "The now officially critic-proof Suicide Squad, coming in at No. 1 for the third week in a row."

Quote Originally Posted by GSwarthout View Post
    Here's a fresh link for you: http://www.avclub.com/article/weeken...campaign=feeds

Here's the pertinent quote: "The now officially critic-proof Suicide Squad, coming in at No. 1 for the third week in a row."
    thanks friend. not that it will matter around here.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I think at this point there are three undeniable facts: 1) SS will make a sizable profit, 2) there are no reasons why it wouldn't warrant a sequel based on its box office take and 3) the DCEU keeps rolling along.

There are other things we can surely debate in regard to Suicide Squad or even WB/DC films in general, but I believe those three things are beyond argument now.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GSwarthout View Post

I'm still not sure what you think this accomplishes. That comment obviously comes from someone not very knowledgeable about box office. Coming in at number 1 in its third weekend doesn't make it critic-proof.

Here's the deal. I'll explain one part I've already explained several times first:

Opening weekend is all about marketing. This movie was looking like it was going to make $125 mil opening weekend several weeks before it opened (meaning before anyone had actually seen it). So, opening big doesn't make a movie critic-proof or mean that it's defying critics.

Now, movies also have a progression of drops after opening weekend. No movie is ever going to just stop making any money after the opening week. So, the question becomes how fast does it drop. The simplest way to look at the overall picture is to look at its final multiplier, or how many times more than the opening weekend the final gross is. For an August release, 2.7 is the low end of decent. Anything under that is bad. SS is looking at a 2.25 multiplier. That is terrible.

So, after marketing got it its huge opening weekend, no matter what, it was going to continue to make some money. A movie that didn't get bad reviews would be dropping less and end up with a much better multiplier. Hence, this is not defying critics because it's dropping fast and will end up with a terrible multiplier.

Now, instead of posting more links of people making the same claim, you could address what I'm actually saying.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Movies are all about making money.

Suicide Squad is making money. Lots of it. Far more than the critics wanted it to make.

Suicide Squad is successful. The critics were wrong (or ignored.) The DCEU is not dead./Thread.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 08-22-2016 at 01:34 PM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--