Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Kinda did. That's what a negative review is.
    I always thought a negative review was just an indication of a movie's quality, not permission to stay at home.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post

I can't hear you over the sound of all this money pouring into DC/WB's coffers!
    That's money they got from comic book fans who desperately wanted a good movie and instead got SS. That's how powerful the "geek world" is now that even a mediocre (at best) DC CBM will make a ton of cash. But the corporate owners of DC are pocketing that money and actually laughing at the fans because they just proved they can make the most money with the least amount of effort possible. Unless you just want more of the same. Not me, I demand more for my money.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GSwarthout View Post
    I think the problem here is that you are working from information that the laymen (us) doesn't have access to. Could you show us where the range was established?

Greg
    Box Office results are public information and so much fun! I'm a numbers nerd and using this data to make predictions and track results is more fun than watching baseball.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Rock View Post
    That's money they got from comic book fans who desperately wanted a good movie and instead got SS. That's how powerful the "geek world" is now that even a mediocre (at best) DC CBM will make a ton of cash. But the corporate owners of DC are pocketing that money and actually laughing at the fans because they just proved they can make the most money with the least amount of effort possible. Unless you just want more of the same. Not me, I demand more for my money.
    Well good for you then but lets stop with this elitist crap where you think you're above everyone else for not supporting the film and claiming the film makers put little effort in , believe it or not people who have actually seen the film happened to enjoy the final product and are happy to support it.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Spectacular Member

Its pretty clear what happened here, critics spoke and fans spoke louder to the point now where Im hearing alot of fans saying the ussual what were critics seeing. The money it has made so far is impressive given the only character the audience knew was joker.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Well good for you then but lets stop with this elitist crap where you think you're above everyone else for not supporting the film and claiming the film makers put little effort in , believe it or not people who have actually seen the film happened to enjoy the final product and are happy to support it.
    Ive seen it twice now and loved it both times. Its a good summer blockbuster in the traditional sense with alittle universe building, but not as much as bvs did.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
    Its pretty clear what happened here, critics spoke and fans spoke louder to the point now where Im hearing alot of fans saying the ussual what were critics seeing. The money it has made so far is impressive given the only character the audience knew was joker.
    If that is the case, then we will see a steadying of the decline leading to a longer run, much like we saw for Deadpool. Right now we don't have quite enough data to dismiss that, but so far I don't see any evidence this is happening. Of course Deadpool was cheaper to make so that movie benefited more from this effect than SS potentially could.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Also you couldn't be more wrong, we barely make a fraction. It is all about he GA, GA weren't interested in XMA or F4 and in turn they both did underwhelming to poor.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Astonishing Member

One of those is from the "invisible jet" days. Are we going to see that, too? Or are you just reaching to make some point.

The other image is cover art. Which if we were strictly going by that standard then why doesn't Gal Gadot have muscles like an American Gladiator or a WWE Diva like this Wednesday's cover of WW does?
    Does Wonder Woman up there look like an American gladiator to you? All I see is an athletic woman with broad shoulders.
    Also, why does invisible jet matters? With or without an invisible jet, she can't fly in pre crisis period, also in azarello's run, she hardly flew and even took several mode of transportation. Flight itself isn't indicative of the appeal of Wonder Woman.

Movies generally make most of their money in the first three weeks unless you're talking about Titanic. At the clip of about $2 million per day from Monday-Thursday during its third week, the movie should finish up Week 3 and go into Week 4 with about $270-$271 million. If we're going to talk domestic box office trajectory for Suicide Squad, the chances of it passing the domestic box office totals for Guardians of the Galaxy aren't great. It's still possible for this movie to top out at $300 million domestic, which would put the movie in elite company for the year. Just by comparison, Batman v Superman brought in an additional $28.05 million after its third week before the conclusion of its domestic run. Suicide Squad is going to benefit somewhat by the upcoming Labor Day weekend despite the fact that it will be playing in less theaters by then.

Assuming the movie has about $271 million by the end of business on Thursday, Suicide Squad would only need to do an additional $29 million to hit $300 million. Man of Steel pulled $291.05 million during its domestic run, so Suicide Squad has a strong chance at passing Man of Steel. Batman v Superman's domestic run was only 12 weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Suicide Squad to have a run of similar length if not a little longer. What this does indicate is the GA did have a strong interest in this movie. Audience scores are backing up the box office for this one.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh.../#5c9445203f71

Mark Hughes made a pretty good point about how Suicide Squad is performing strongly despite competition from the Olympic Games, Jason Bourne, Sausage Party, and Pete's Dragon. Hughes is expecting Suicide Squad to top out at $655 million worldwide before factoring in Japan. With Japan he expects $670 million. If Suicide Squad can pass Man of Steel's worldwide gross, that will definitely make the executives happy.

Fantastic Member

I wouldn't call any of them real competition...with the possible exception of The Olympics (which prolly helped lead to some of it's big drops but the Olympucs also didn't do spectacular either). Sausage Party isn't a movie you'd take the family to like SS. I mean I guess it could have possibly been another surprise R-rated hit but it had negative buzz almost from jump. Jason Bourne isn't in the zeitgeist anymore (and is wayyyyyyy more boring than SS). And Pete's Dragon was too quiet. That movie had no business coming out in the summer. Even though it is prolly one of the best summer films, it's more intimate and earnest. That's not what people seem to like in mid-Summer. Plus it seems that kids only like animated talking animals at this point lol

This weekend will be the first real competition SS has had. But by now the gloss has worn off, like it usually does and they'll slip to #2. I mean they already had one of the lowest all-time number 1 spots, so it won't be hard for Don't Breathe to take #1( it got hella promotion for a non-tentpole film). DC was smart to move this movie to the end of summer and promote it as heavily as they did. I thought the movie was just "OK"but it was something different from the other summer disappointments. If they had put this near the middle of summer I think it would have done worse. Not because it's worst than other films this summer (I mean Star Trek, horror films and Finding Dory are the only big films I consider better than SS from the post May summer period) but because the crowding of films might have distracted or preoccupied people, plus marketing would've been competing with the crappy films.

Actually I think SS might have had a smaller opening but probably better legs because the people who enjoyed it or at least better than the garbage around it, would have promoted it. But that's a big risk, so they were wise to put it where it was this summer. Hell I think September might have been even better. Really separate yourself from the drudge, so to speak.

Just to note, I'm in lining at the barbershop so I had time to write all that out. It was a measured and pretty positive read on SS but I'm sure someone will either say I called it a flop or try and reignite some negativity about the film lol

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMatrix View Post
    I wouldn't call any of them real competition...with the possible exception of The Olympics (which prolly helped lead to some of it's big drops but the Olympucs also didn't do spectacular either).
    this article from 2012 (the last olympic season) notes that box office does consider olympics as historical competition, and shouldn't be discounted when considering performance.

as for the rest, competition will always be competition by default, though there's always a case to be made over how 'much' competition something or another poses.

http://www.indiewire.com/2012/07/wee...stupid-202403/

Incredible Member

Also you couldn't be more wrong, we barely make a fraction. It is all about he GA, GA weren't interested in XMA or F4 and in turn they both did underwhelming to poor.
    They were also both sequels in an underperforming franchise. See TMNT for example: Original, does quite well. Sequel, fell flat.

Incredible Member

If it sounds elitist, maybe you are undervaluing your own worth.
    The fact is, a corporation is making millions off of you. Demand more.

Astonishing Member

If it sounds elitist, maybe you are undervaluing your own worth.
    The fact is, a corporation is making millions off of you. Demand more.
    Maybe I like the movie as it is and don't need for it to make any changes.