Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

While critical acceptance continues to elude the DCEU, it's passed the $2 billion mark in term of worldwide gross for the franchise. So I think it's best to try to put things in perspective. If Wonder Woman and Justice League are better received by critics (at this point, being well received by more than 50% of critics would be a huge win), then we know it's building some positive momentum. Wonder Woman will make bank in its opening weekend. Gal Gadot was well received and you have people that have been waiting for this movie for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Momentum at Fox? Oh lord. Suicide Squad made almost more in a weekend than the latest x man movie did in its entire run. What freaking Momentum are you talking about.
    The critical kind of momentum.
    First Class broke away from the downward spiral X3 and W:Origins had initiated.
    Regardless of the own flaws it had, it still was a way better movie than those, and DoFP topped that again.
    Suicid Squad didn't break the mold, it actually reinforced it: the idea that DC movies are not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by eckesg1 View Post
    Yes because it buys time for WB to hit upon a winning combination
    Well, that's a position I'll never be able to reconcile.
    And if WB hold the same line of thought, they are missing the whole point of building a brand and are effectively doomed to play second fidle to Marvel for the long haul.

WB should not try to hit any "winning combination".
    They should try to make good movies, period.

That's how you gain name recognition, by delivering quality products one after another. That's how you build goodwill and increase your influence.
    No amount of marketing will ever mask how mediocre a product is, especially now that everyone is connected with information free-flowing between people across continents.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I think that's the problem more than anything else.

Their movies are doing well enough to justify making more, but they've been unable to shake the notion that their movies are on the mediocre side. Fox was able to get their momentum back by putting out one well received movie with First Class... Warner Brothers needs that one movie to really get things rolling. They haven't quite got that yet.
    This. I hope Wonder Woman will come out on top critically.
    You know ? I'll be there to see it regardless, because hey, it's Wonder Woman !
    And it means a big deal to me seeing a female lead in theater.
    But Justice League will have to work for my ticket, meaning I'll can it the second it shows signs of B v S / Squad critical-stigma.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    So, you are ok with WB making mediocre to barely decent movie as long as they are making a lot of money out of them?
    As a comic fan, you REALLY are OK with that ?
    Are you okay with Disney-Marvel making mediocre-to-decent movies that make a lot of money?

As much as you want to move the goalposts, this is not a one-way street.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    But Justice League will have to work for my ticket, meaning I'll can it the second it shows signs of B v S / Squad critical-stigma.
    Don't worry. I'll let you know how it is after I can get back from watching it on opening Thursday.

Spectacular Member

I look at Transformers. 4 movies, most of them crap, and they are making billions
    1) It's possible to make money off of bad movies, but it catches up to you. Transformers have been steadily declining since the second one. And there are only four of them. If the next one tanks, they pack it and move on. WB wants the DCEU to last a long time, like 10+ movies. They're not just trying to ride it out until they stop making money.

2) Look at what you're saying. The movies are crap, but they're making money. That's pretty much the point.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    You sound like a guy "in the know." Why don't you share your files with us, the ones you walked out of WB's accounting department with?
    No need. All you have to do is look at the situation. Do you really think these performances fill WB with confidence? They already made big changes due to BvS.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegtam View Post
    1) It's possible to make money off of bad movies, but it catches up to you. Transformers have been steadily declining since the second one. And there are only four of them. If the next one tanks, they pack it and move on. WB wants the DCEU to last a long time, like 10+ movies. They're not just trying to ride it out until they stop making money.

2) Look at what you're saying. The movies are crap, but they're making money. That's pretty much the point.
    The last transformers movie made over a billion at the box office and finish the year as the top earner for all movies in 2014. ??????

No need. All you have to do is look at the situation. Do you really think these performances fill WB with confidence? They already made big changes due to BvS.
    No, that's not all you have to do. You said they're not making much money, and they're doing it shakily. So let's see the numbers. You realize BvS has dominated video sales since its release, right? How about all the money Turkish Airlines paid up front? No, I don't think you're "in the know."

Who's saying the movies are crap?

BANNED

They lost that momentum with Apocalypse.

But you are correct. All WB needs is that one film to be well received, and they are off to the races
    Are you talking money, or quality? Because Apocalypse is a better movie than any of the other superhero movies this year, (I've yet to see Suicade Squad, but I'm guessing it ain't better) that's not some great prize, but it's good.

Spectacular Member

Oh lord. Come on man. How much freaking money do you want them to make? This franchise just started its three movies in. You keep talking about leaving money on the table. Any franchise does that. All this top loaded front loaded stuff is crap. The bottom line here is that this train is over 2 billon for three movies. And really after WW could easily top 3 billon worldwide. You are looking at suicide squad a movie called suicide squad passing winter soldier next week. A movie called suicide squad passing the second cap movie which was made after the avengers which was the biggest superhero movie ever. Honestly you guys are hilarious.
    You find rational analysis of reality hilarious? Weird. Look, I'm clearly not the one who needs to "come on". You guys keep pointing to this $2 billion. That's far from the whole story. They also spent at least $600 mil on them. So they're making money. But do you really think that's it? That's all there is to it? Of course not. They're trying to build a cinematic universe. They don't want to keep skating by on name recognition and good marketing. The novelty is going to wear off. We see it with other series all the time.

Are you okay with Disney-Marvel making mediocre-to-decent movies that make a lot of money?
    Since you are asking , no I'm not ok with that either.
    And in general, I don't like going to theatre to see a movie that ends-up barely half-decent.
    No one does (hopefully).
    I'm asking WB since they are the one actually producing this movie...not Marvel.

As much as you want to move the goalposts, this is not a one-way street.
    Do your worst.

Don't worry. I'll let you know how it is after I can get back from watching it on opening Thursday.
    Like you let me know how Suicide Squad was a better movie than B v S ?
    I'm pretty sure you are one of those that answered me in that other thread a few days ago...not that it really matters now anyway.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Astonishing Member

You find rational analysis of reality hilarious? Weird. Look, I'm clearly not the one who needs to "come on". You guys keep pointing to this $2 billion. That's far from the whole story. They also spent at least $600 mil on them. So they're making money. But do you really think that's it? That's all there is to it? Of course not. They're trying to build a cinematic universe. They don't want to keep skating by on name recognition and good marketing. The novelty is going to wear off. We see it with other series all the time.
    Your rational makes no sense. Sorry. You are hoping for something to wear off. It aint wearing off.

Spectacular Member

No, which is why it's nice that they make mostly good to great movies with an occasional mediocre one.

Spectacular Member

The last transformers movie made over a billion at the box office and finish the year as the top earner for all movies in 2014. ??????
    And it made significantly less than all the others in America. I doubt they're going to keep hoping foreign money saves the day.