Page 27 of 78 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vegtam View Post
    Maybe, but doubtful, unless the quality of the movies improves.
    they'll get right on that checklist for your approval, i'm sure of it.

Only when they run out of "cards" to play. People will see Wonder Woman because its WONDER WOMAN, people will see Justice League because ITS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE!

I think JL will need to do well in order for Aquaman and Flash to have a real shot.

Myriad complaints with regard to DCEU films are indeed concerned with tone. A basic understanding of English is required, though.
    Last edited by Calighoula; 08-16-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    they'll get right on that checklist for your approval, i'm sure of it.
    Yeah, not my approval, chief, the approval of audiences and critics, neither of which are very high on their movies so far.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Only when they run out of "cards" to play. People will see Wonder Woman because its WONDER WOMAN, people will see Justice League because ITS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE!

I think JL will need to do well in order for Aquaman and Flash to have a real shot.
    Agreed. They have another one or two shots before the novelty wears off.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Myriads complaints with regard to DCEU films are indeed concerned with tone. A basic understanding of English is required, though.
    Indeed, which is why I responded the way I did, but thanks for the tip. The point is they need to improve the quality, not just the tone. Most of the complaints aren't about the tone, despite what some believe. Most are OK with a dark, grim tone, just like The Dark Knight.

Social Injustice Warrior lolgaxe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    People will see Wonder Woman because its WONDER WOMAN, people will see Justice League because ITS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE!
    People will see Batman v Superman because IT IS BATMAN AND SUPERMAN!

And then leave the theater disappointed.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Indeed, which is why I responded the way I did, but thanks for the tip. The point is they need to improve the quality, not just the tone. Most of the complaints aren't about the tone, despite what some believe. Most are OK with a dark, grim tone, just like The Dark Knight.
    But that was the tone expected for that particular movie. However, if the tone (light or dark) is not what you want, then we're not talking about the quality of the film but your own expectations. For example, if your expectations are more in line with the Donner Superman, then it doesn't matter who is directing the film or playing the role of Clark if the tone is not similar to the Christopher Reeve movies.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    That's the point. If the "iconic" status of Superman and Batman doesn't automatically translate to sales of comics--their native environment--why would anyone expect it to automatically translate to the sale of movie tickets?
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner. It almost as big a fallacy of expecting DCEU's phase 1 to perform financially as well as MCU's phase 3.

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Yeah, not my approval, chief, the approval of audiences and critics, neither of which are very high on their movies so far.
    Based on the box office, audiences have enjoyed DCEU's phase 1. What you're referring to is an outspoken minority on the internet with an over inflated sense of entitlement and an axe to grind.

Social Injustice Warrior lolgaxe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Based on the box office, audiences have enjoyed DCEU's phase 1.
    Surprising to some, but you can go to a theater and end up not enjoying the movie.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lolgaxe View Post
    Surprising to some, but you can go to a theater and end up not enjoying the movie.
    True, but the times that has happened to me in 40-something years of going to the movies wouldn't add up to all of the fingers on my right hand. Unless a person is going completely "blind" to the movies, you should have a good idea as to whether you will like the film or not. The degree of liking or hating it will vary, of course.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    But that was the tone expected for that particular movie. However, if the tone (light or dark) is not what you want, then we're not talking about the quality of the film but your own expectations. For example, if your expectations are more in line with the Donner Superman, then it doesn't matter who is directing the film or playing the role of Clark if the tone is not similar to the Christopher Reeve movies.
    As you say, that was the tone expected. Most weren't turned off by the tone, but by the plot and characterizations. So, we're talking about the quality of the film.

this reminds me of #manypeoplearesaying

Cash register says they already have that. Peeps on a message board or % points on an aggregate site don't equal the majority.

I would say, granted this is pure conjecture on my part, that some number of people who went to see MOS probably went to see BvS, and then checked out Suicide Squad. Not all comic book fans, not all diehards. Because, really, that is such a small drop in the ticket buying bucket. People who perhaps enjoyed the films enough, whether they are action flick fans, sci-fi fans, or comic book movie fans (the overall base that makes up that group is different and more wide-ranging in the general sense from comic book fans) to continue to support the films. Pre-order slaes and opening weekend numbers don't break huge just because of brand and a need to say "I saw it first." People have enjoyed the films, devisive as they may be in some arenas, and want more.
    Last edited by GDC3; 08-16-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com