Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    What was civil wars budget. And marketing i dont have a farking clue. You guys and yer budgets and marketing. What was age of ultrons? Here is the facts: more people are paying to see suicide squad than either thor first two caps ant man hulk every x man movie the last two spideys and prob doctor strange. So i dont know wtf the budgets and marketing for all these movies are but i can tell you this. After all the crys of failure there will be a sequel.
    All you damn people and your facts! So frustrating! Just joking - just trying to say that, yes, it's made a lot of money so far compared to most other movies this year but it's also been more expensive to make than most other movies this year. I agree though - I think if it crosses over $500 million, and it probably will, there should be a sequel and hopefully it will be better. I think the DC movies will continue to get better as time goes on. I liked most of the Marvel movies, though I hated Iron Man 2 and only so-so about Hulk, but I think with DC's great characters, the movies are going to get really awesome. Am looking forward to seeing all of them together in the JL movie. Been waiting 47 years to see something like that and never thought that the New Gods would make it to the silver screen!
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-13-2016 at 07:37 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Excluding Ghostbusters- all those other films didn't have fans trying to shut down a website over opinions.

Nor were their fans openly hostile to anyone who didn't care for the film.

Plus how much hype was on this film considering the cast vs some of those others?

That is why you see talk of the weekend drop.

Fanboy behavior and movie hype. Remove that an you don't see these click bait ads.
    There was like a minuscule amount of fans hostile to GB2016..a lot of it was manufactured outrage, which still didn't help the films.
    The SS critic reception is pretty crazy, though. I doubt if the movie is worse than Green Lantern or Catwoman, as I have seen some critics claim.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookMan View Post
    Also, let's be realistic here and maybe put the numbers/money aside. Did anyone think BvS, Man of Steel and Suicide Squad were good movies? I sure didn't. They were watchable and I'd never want to watch them more than once.
    This. I still haven't seen SS yet, but will probably get around to it Wednesday or so when there's nobody in the theater. I thought BvS was average at best and I was disappointed. It should have easily done 1B for WB's, but it just wasn't that good and stalled in the 800M range. MOS was just retched. I hope I never have to watch that travesty again. Bottom line is, while these bad to mediocre movies might make profit,,is that really a good thing? I would much rather have WB/DC showing some determination into making better movies than feeding us a steady diet of mediocre ones that make just enough profit to satisfy their bean counters. We as fans suffer in the end.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Difference is, TASM 2 was the lowest grossing Spider-Man movie in the series and Amy Pascal told investors that TASM 2 would be a billion dollar movie.
    Well this kind of logic could never possibly be applied to a DC movie.

You only serve to emphasize my point that even movies that make a s***-ton of money can be considered flops by the studio from an investment standpoint. Going by the logic of the DC defenders, ASM2 with a production budget of $255 million, made $708 million... so they almost tripled their money! Success!

Take a movie like BvS which earned less than the two previous Batman movies despite the addition of Superman (I know, different universe, but irrelevant!), earned less than its main competition (Civil War), earned less than the $1 billion benchmark that was presumably promised to investors (a safe assumption if ASM investors were promised as much) yet according to some people, the notion that it may have under-performed is completely absurd. Give me a break.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookMan View Post
    Also, let's be realistic here and maybe put the numbers/money aside. Did anyone think BvS, Man of Steel and Suicide Squad were good movies? I sure didn't. They were watchable and I'd never want to watch them more than once.
    Haven't seen SS yet, but I thought both Man of Steel and BvS were good--albeit flawed--movies. Neither one was great, but then the vast, vast majority of superhero movies don't come anywhere near great.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwch View Post
    Well this kind of logic could never possibly be applied to a DC movie.

You only serve to emphasize my point that even movies that make a s***-ton of money can be considered flops by the studio from an investment standpoint. Going by the logic of the DC defenders, ASM2 with a production budget of $255 million, made $708 million... so they almost tripled their money! Success!

Take a movie like BvS which earned less than the two previous Batman movies despite the addition of Superman (I know, different universe, but irrelevant!), earned less than its main competition (Civil War), earned less than the $1 billion benchmark that was presumably promised to investors (a safe assumption if ASM investors were promised as much) yet according to some people, the notion that it may have under-performed is completely absurd. Give me a break.
    It can't be discounted the series of diminishing returns Spider-Man had been pulling in since Spider-Man 3 (the highest grossing one). Amy Pascal was the president of Sony pictures and she sold investors (remember all the publicity TASM 2 got?) that their new Spider-Man movie would make a billion dollars and would launch the Spider-Man universe. Instead, TASM 2 was the lowest grossing Spider-Man film in the series and was the lowest grossing comic book movie of 2014. TASM 2 also had the benefit of coming out the first week in May, at the start of the summer season.

1. GOTG
    2. X-Men DOFP
    3. Captain America TWS
    4. TASM 2

Having a new and untested IP like GOTG beat Spider-Man demonstrated Sony had a brand problem. Also compare TASM 2 to Captain America TWS and X-Men DOFP, both films cost about as much to make and made a little more than TASM, but both of them were considered successes. Why? Because neither of those films were hyped by executives to break a billion and kick off a shared universe.

Even before the Sony deal with Marvel was announced, the leaked emails and the reports about Sony's plan for the Spider-Man franchise was they were going to reboot again. Killing their planned Sinister Six, Venom and Carnage, TASM 3-4, and Black Cat movies. If TASM 2 was just one movie, it probably wouldn't have been a big deal that it underperformed. But for what Sony had planned going forward, it was a big deal.

To BvS, so the film didn't cross a billion worldwide. It's still the 2nd highest grossing comic book movie of the year, and the 5th highest grossing movie of the year (behind Captain America CW, Zootopia, Jungle Book and now Finding Dory). If BvS underperformed anywhere it was with foreign audiences. Domestically it made over $330 million, which is great. But saying BvS is a flop, is a big stretch. Disappointment though, sure.

Astonishing Member

I think it would interesting to see how the sequels for the 2016 CBM fare. Will any of them succeed the predecessor? Or will they all fall behind like most sequels do?

2016 saw a lot of franchises go down the toilet. I wonder which super-hero movie will fail to make a trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I think it would interesting to see how the sequels for the 2016 CBM fare. Will any of them succeed the predecessor? Or will they all fall behind like most sequels do?

2016 saw a lot of franchises go down the toilet. I wonder which super-hero movie will fail to make a trilogy.
    Well X-Men and Captain America both finished a respective trilogy this year. Captain America killed it and Apocalypse sucked it. Singer and Kinberg need to commit or get off the pot.

Superior Spider-fan Agent Scarlet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GhostPirate View Post
    They haven't made $2b, they've grossed $2b
    Oh, my god... I... I never thought I'd see this on this forum. Someone who actually understands how movie profits work.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post

Forbes had a piece talking about that very question. They noted how even if it wasn't a good movie by any means, the second Ninja Turtles movie was very obviously aimed at trying to please the fans and give them what they wanted after all the backlash against the first movie (the entire marketing campaign was "Hey nerds, remember all that stuff you loved from the tV show?") and it still made less than the previous movie. A lot of Trekkies have been saying Star Trek Beyond is way truer to the spirit of the source material than the previous two reboot Trek movies and yet it still made less then either of them.

The writer posited that even though the Justice League trailer seemed tailor made for trying to answer the complaints about Batman v. Superman (people smiling, there being jokes, less serious and dreary tone, the heroes acting like heroes and not murderous sociopaths), people might have been turned off by that movie enough that the follow up will gross less.

We'll see. I think the boost of seeing all those characters onscreen might push it past BVS.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Forbes had a piece talking about that very question. They noted how even if it wasn't a good movie by any means, the second Ninja Turtles movie was very obviously aimed at trying to please the fans and give them what they wanted after all the backlash against the first movie (the entire marketing campaign was "Hey nerds, remember all that stuff you loved from the tV show?") and it still made less than the previous movie. A lot of Trekkies have been saying Star Trek Beyond is way truer to the spirit of the source material than the previous two reboot Trek movies and yet it still made less then either of them.

The writer posited that even though the Justice League trailer seemed tailor made for trying to answer the complaints about Batman v. Superman (people smiling, there being jokes, less serious and dreary tone, the heroes acting like heroes and not murderous sociopaths), people might have been turned off by that movie enough that the follow up will gross less.

We'll see. I think the boost of seeing all those characters onscreen might push it past BVS.
    Trek is a great example right? Critics said they liked it fans said they liked it. And that meant what? There is a disconnect somewhere. Cause trek got kicked in the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

2016 has been a different year than we've see so far. A lot of blockbusters and would be blockbusters have basically been cannibalizing each other.

The highest grossing:

Captain America: Civil War
    Zootopia
    The Jungle Book
    Finding Dory
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
    Deadpool
    The Mermaid
    X-Men: Apocalypse *Riding the line given it's low domestic numbers compared to others on the list and others in the X series.
    Kung Fu Panda 3
    The Secret Life of Pets

The flops and underperforming film:

Zoolander 2

Divergent: Allegiant

The Huntsman

The Boss

Alice Through The Looking Glass

TMNT Out Of The Shadows

Independence Day

Warcraft

BFG *Directed by Spielberg and written by the same guy who wrote E.T. with Spielberg back in 1982.

Tarzan

Ghostbusters

Star Trek Beyond

Jason Bourne

It's been a tough year for a lot of studio films. Suicide Squad is currently #13 worldwide, but if trends hold, it may just make the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Trek is a great example right? Critics said they liked it fans said they liked it. And that meant what? There is a disconnect somewhere. Cause trek got kicked in the balls.
    Trek wasn't marketed well by Paramount. 2016 is Trek's big 50th, and TPTB at Paramount felt that would alienate non fans from seeing their movie, so they didn't try to hype the landmark of the franchise and just released a series of corny trailers with Sabotage playing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    2016 has been a different year than we've see so far. A lot of blockbusters and would be blockbusters have basically been cannibalizing each other.

The highest grossing:

Captain America: Civil War
    Zootopia
    The Jungle Book
    Finding Dory
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
    Deadpool
    The Mermaid
    X-Men: Apocalypse *Riding the line given it's low domestic numbers compared to others on the list and others in the X series.
    Kung Fu Panda 3
    The Secret Life of Pets

The flops and underperforming film:

Zoolander 2

Divergent: Allegiant

The Huntsman

The Boss

Alice Through The Looking Glass

TMNT Out Of The Shadows

Independence Day

Warcraft

BFG *Directed by Spielberg and written by the same guy who wrote E.T. with Spielberg back in 1982.

Tarzan

Ghostbusters

Star Trek Beyond

Jason Bourne

It's been a tough year for a lot of studio films. Suicide Squad is currently #13 worldwide, but if trends hold, it may just make the top 10.

Trek wasn't marketed well by Paramount. 2016 is Trek's big 50th, and TPTB at Paramount felt that would alienate non fans from seeing their movie, so they didn't try to hype the landmark of the franchise and just released a series of corny trailers with Sabotage playing.
    I cant really consider bourne a flop. Only one of his movies made over 200 million domestic. Its never been that huge of a franchise as some make it out to be.

Amazing Member

I really hope SS makes enough for a sequel.I want to see Bronze Tiger and Lashina.Will Smith ruined this movie for me.I would've like Deadshot Arrow instead.Just my 2 cents.

Almost a 80% drop, that's massive. It's a good thing they made all their money on the first weekend. Then again I heard that Warner gave ton of tickets away.