Page 75 of 78 FirstFirst ... 25657172737475767778 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1161

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The $96M GOTG made in China means WB needs to make better movies for the Chinese market.
    china doesn't allow magical creatures in their movies. are you saying they stop using magic in their movies to appease china??

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    china doesn't allow magical creatures in their movies. are you saying they stop using magic in their movies to appease china??
    Come to think of it, Wonder Woman will have a heck of an uphill battle getting into China too.

China also bans movies with an anti-government message. The US government comes out in a very negative light in Suicide Squad (ALL versions of it) and China doesn't like movies that give their people any "funny ideas." Honestly, SS pretty much never had a chance to get into China. And it STILL made big bucks.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Come to think of it, Wonder Woman will have a heck of an uphill battle getting into China too.

China also bans movies with an anti-government message. The US government comes out in a very negative light in Suicide Squad (ALL versions of it) and China doesn't like movies that give their people any "funny ideas." Honestly, SS pretty much never had a chance to get into China. And it STILL made big bucks.
    I think the thing that really stopped SS getting into China was the supernatural elements, which is the same reason the new Ghostbusters didn't get a Chinese release.

Civil War got a release in China, and Cap's side of the conflict is pretty anti-establishment.

No, but if you make a movie that has elements that are clearly not going to make it into a Chinese theater then its useless to talk about how much better you would do if only you had a Chinese release.

As I said, I am not expecting Dr Strange to get a Chinese release. Apart from anything else, the whole subject of where the Ancient One comes from [usually Tibet] had the potential to be a huge sticking point.

The movies writer had this to say...

The Ancient One was a racist stereotype who comes from a region of the world that is in a very weird political place. He originates from Tibet. So if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bullshit and risk the Chinese government going, ‘Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We’re not going to show your movie because you decided to get political.’ If we decide to go the other way and cater to China in particular and have him be in Tibet… If you think it’s a good idea to cast a Chinese actress as a Tibetan character, you are out of your damn fool mind and have no idea what the fuck you’re talking about.

But personally I think they should have just made the character Tibetan. It's not like a movie full of magic users is likely to get a showing there anyway.
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-20-2016 at 07:40 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

There are some really angry bitter fans with a mountain on their shoulder. It's almost like the Complex in the X-threads, except there I agree with the fans. I'm guessing this thread will last until the SS sequel.

so why do american film companies need to get rid of magic to be better to you? just because china doesn't allow it?

I think the thing that really stopped SS getting into China was the supernatural elements, which is the same reason the new Ghostbusters didn't get a Chinese release.

Civil War got a release in China, and Cap's side of the conflict is pretty anti-establishment.
    Yeah, but to all intents and purposes, Cap's side lost. Sure, Cap beat up Stark, but that still wasn't really a victory. The Accords were still in effect. If Cap had killed Tony, someone else would've replaced him and nothing would've changed. Cap's only real win was keeping Bucky out of the establishment's hands.

Suicide Squad features a government agent and her minions who are a bunch of violent thugs, no better than the criminals they've enslaved. The criminals are shown to have heart and loyalty to one another, and they pretty much saved the day with no real help from the government. The government was, honestly, more of a hindrance to their success.

Wonder Woman will also have supernatural elements, including at least references to gods and religion. China doesn't like these things either. I'm not sure what their stance is on Diana's feminist and anti-war messages either.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Yeah, but to all intents and purposes, Cap's side lost. Sure, Cap beat up Stark, but that still wasn't really a victory. The Accords were still in effect. If Cap had killed Tony, someone else would've replaced him and nothing would've changed. Cap's only real win was keeping Bucky out of the establishment's hands.

Suicide Squad features a government agent and her minions who are a bunch of violent thugs, no better than the criminals they've enslaved. The criminals are shown to have heart and loyalty to one another, and they pretty much saved the day with no real help from the government. The government was, honestly, more of a hindrance to their success.

Wonder Woman will also have supernatural elements, including at least references to gods and religion. China doesn't like these things either. I'm not sure what their stance is on Diana's feminist and anti-war messages either.

Waller was no better then the squad flagg was clearly a good man. Scott eastwoods charatcer died setting the explosive off i think, iono they kinda glazed ove it. So evil government offical but they werent her minions. Flagg was under her thumb but he didnt do anything bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Waller was no better then the squad flagg was clearly a good man. Scott eastwoods charatcer died setting the explosive off i think, iono they kinda glazed ove it. So evil government offical but they werent her minions. Flagg was under her thumb but he didnt do anything bad.
    "Didn't do anything bad?"

Is that what you call standing there, doing nothing while Waller executed a half-dozen IT technicians for no good reason? He even told her he was cool with it.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

"Didn't do anything bad?"

Is that what you call standing there, doing nothing while Waller executed a half-dozen IT technicians for no good reason? He even told her he was cool with it.
    SS was pretty pro-government. The government was never brought to task for anything it was doing under the auspices of "taking care of business." What Waller did there was way worse than anything the SS did in the movie. Seems like China would have been cooler with this movie than they were.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

so why do american film companies need to get rid of magic to be better to you? just because china doesn't allow it?
    Better for me? No. I'll be seeing Dr Strange with my son for sure.

But if you put in magic you accept that, as things stand, you probably won't get a release in China.

Thing is, SS didn't need to have so much magic anyway. Having them Squad take on a crazy magic goddess always seemed a weird choice to me.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    SS was pretty pro-government. The government was never brought to task for anything it was doing under the auspices of "taking care of business." What Waller did there was way worse than anything the SS did in the movie. Seems like China would have been cooler with this movie than they were.
    And yet, that was the stated reason why they passed on SS.

Better for me? No. I'll be seeing Dr Strange with my son for sure.

But if you put in magic you accept that, as things stand, you probably won't get a release in China.

Thing is, SS didn't need to have so much magic anyway. Having them Squad take on a crazy magic goddess always seemed a weird choice to me.
    Enchantress has been a Suicide Squad member in the past. She did, indeed, turn against the Squad at one point. It fits in with their mythos just fine.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

Enchantress has been a Suicide Squad member in the past. She did, indeed, turn against the Squad at one point. It fits in with their mythos just fine.
    That only means something if you've read a lot of Suicide Squad.

But I did read enough to know that she didn't turn in the first twelve issues of the book. Seems that idea would have been better left for a sequel. The whole thing with Moone and Flagg's romance was never sold to me convincingly - even less so that the Cyclops/Jean Grey relationship in the first X-Men movie trilogy, if that's possible. So there was no emotional investment in it for me at all.

Rush rush rush.
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-20-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Must of missed that part Deadshot was cool with it said something like now thats gangsta. Flagg i just remember saying something and her saying they werent cleared for any of this. Plus if he goes against her she will kill his gf. I didnt come away thinking the military or gvmt was bad just waller.

I actually wont be surprised if Strange gets a China release. They avoided the Tibetan thing as to not pissoff the chinese and marvel/disney has a had a great relationship with china. If China wants to release a marvel movie they can justify however they want. Call Dormmamu a interdimensional being and mindless ones aliens from another dimension. Iono all im saying is If china wants to release a movie made by marvel studios they will. Seems like they appreciate the business marvel gives them. What was it ironman 3 when they started working heavily with china in there movies?

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Uh, no, China allows magic creatures, what it doesn't allow is ghosts unless they're explained in a certain way. They can't be "Ghostly" and have to be seen as bad and serious, not funny or cute. Magical creatures are all over the place in Chinese movies. Heck the Great Wall is having a huge dragon showing up in the trailer and that's being made by a Chinese studio.