Page 8 of 78 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

1) It's not a click bait article. It's an article about a topi people are interested in, and the title doesn't mislead you about what's actually in the article. The title also doesn't needlessly keep you in suspense regarding the main point of the article.

2) To the people saying of course it dropped a lot, it had a massive opening; and those pointing to CACW 74% drop: In an instance like this, 5-6% makes a big difference. It's likely the difference between a 59% drop and 66%, or about $8 mil. Also, yes, with a big opening weekend you expect a big second-weekend drop, but it's relative. They're comparing this to similar movies. The point is big opening or not, this is a huge drop rarely seen.

3) As for the DCEU movies making lots of money, yes, so far they're staying above water, but not by much. And these huge openings followed by steep drops worry studio execs. They know that at a certain point, the failures will start to have a bigger effect, and they already don't have much margin for error. Suicide Squad will probably end up with about $650 mil worldwide. That means they'll end up with around $300 mil. Still a moneymaker on its budget, without such a massive opening, it wouldn't be. They're like click bait articles. They suck you in with good but misleading marketing, but after a while people catch on and stop clicking/going to see them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    except this movie is performing amazingly despite the critics.

it had a 170 million budget. it doubled that in its first 4 days, despite critics trying to label as "DOA."
    Spot on. This is the nearest I can figure these arguments to be. Sure its making alot of money but it made to much money up front. The basic argument here is well the movie along with the other two DCU movies are to front loaded. Basically Forbes and others say well yea they make money but to quick and eventually they wont make money quickly? If that was the case would not have this already been happening? I mean ok say the fans didnt like MOS and BVS why would they run out and drop money on SS the first week? Its a BS article.

it had a 170 million budget. it doubled that in its first 4 days, despite critics trying to label as "DOA."
    How much is the marketing cost? Not just the film cost. You have to put that in with it. There were a lot of ads for this movie. That's not free. You have to pay for it! Those super bowl spots and wendys team ups have to be paid for! The toys, the video game tie ins. It cost more then 170 million.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 08-14-2016 at 07:25 AM.

Spectacular Member

No. It's doing exactly what you'd expect from a critically panned movie with great marketing. The first week is all about marketing and hype. The big second-week drop we're starting to see is the result of the negative reception. It was the same with BvS. It was always going to open huge, but it only ended up with 2x it's opening weekend when all was said and done. That's a terrible multiplier. A better movie would have made more like a 2.25-2.5x multiplier. Off a $166 mil opening weekend, that's a $50 mil difference or more.

Astonishing Member

Just found this interesting.
    1978 was the year of the first big superhero film this was the top ten
    1.Grease
    2.Superman
    3. Animal House
    4.Every Which Way but lose
    5.Heaven Can Wait
    6.Hooper
    7.Jaws 2
    8.Revenge of the Pink Panther
    9.The Deer Hunter
    10. Halloween

2016 Top Ten
    1. Finding Dory
    2.Civil War
    3. Deadpool
    4. Jungle Book
    5. Zootopia
    6. BVS
    7.Secret Lives of Pets
    8. Suicide Squad
    9.XMA
    10. Kung Fu Panda

Oh how times have changed.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Spot on. This is the nearest I can figure these arguments to be. Sure its making alot of money but it made to much money up front. The basic argument here is well the movie along with the other two DCU movies are to front loaded. Basically Forbes and others say well yea they make money but to quick and eventually they wont make money quickly? If that was the case would not have this already been happening? I mean ok say the fans didnt like MOS and BVS why would they run out and drop money on SS the first week? Its a BS article.
    Because they redid SS a bit due to the criticisms of BvS and MoS, and it really looked like SS would be good. They're only going to get so many chances, though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegtam View Post
    Because they redid SS a bit due to the criticisms of BvS and MoS, and it really looked like SS would be good. They're only going to get so many chances, though.
    Yea I have heard that before and that does not appear to be the case. WW will also open up huge. As will JL. As will the new Batman movie when it comes out. Its not like SS was super popular and its already going to make more than any x man movie save deadpool the first two caps the first two thors, the first two hulks, ant man, the last two spideys ect.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Just found this interesting.
    1978 was the year of the first big superhero film this was the top ten
    1.Grease
    2.Superman
    3. Animal House
    4.Every Which Way but lose
    5.Heaven Can Wait
    6.Hooper
    7.Jaws 2
    8.Revenge of the Pink Panther
    9.The Deer Hunter
    10. Halloween

2016 Top Ten
    1. Finding Dory
    2.Civil War
    3. Deadpool
    4. Jungle Book
    5. Zootopia
    6. BVS
    7.Secret Lives of Pets
    8. Suicide Squad
    9.XMA
    10. Kung Fu Panda

Oh how times have changed.

Not to be anal, but your top 10's for 2016 are abit out of order. Here's the actual list. (Source Box Office Mojo)

1 Captain America: Civil War BV $1,152.0 $407.4 35.4% $744.6 64.6%
    2 Zootopia BV $1,023.1 $341.3 33.4% $681.9 66.6%
    3 The Jungle Book (2016) BV $941.4 $362.9 38.5% $578.6 61.5%
    4 Finding Dory BV $887.5 $475.8 53.6% $411.7 46.4%
    5 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice WB $872.7 $330.4 37.9% $542.3 62.1%
    6 Deadpool Fox $782.6 $363.1 46.4% $419.5 53.6%
    7 The Mermaid (Mei ren yu) Sony $553.8 $3.2 0.6% $550.6 99.4%
    8 X-Men: Apocalypse Fox $534.6 $155.4 29.1% $379.2 70.9%
    9 Kung Fu Panda 3 Fox $519.9 $143.5 27.6% $376.4 72.4%
    10 The Secret Life of Pets Uni. $513.0 $329.6 64.3% $183.4 35.7

But yea, it is neat to see how times have changed Animated films & CBMs getting much more love from the boxoffice now then they were back in the day.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Not to be anal, but your top 10's for 2016 are abit out of order. Here's the actual list. (Source Box Office Mojo)

But yea, it is neat to see how times have changed Animated films & CBMs getting much more love from the boxoffice now then they were back in the day.
    His list was domstic only i believe. Your has them ranked by global boxoffice

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post

Yea you did worldwide I did domestic. Reason I did that was no real worldwide numbers from 1978

Quote Originally Posted by Vegtam View Post
    No. It's doing exactly what you'd expect from a critically panned movie with great marketing. The first week is all about marketing and hype. The big second-week drop we're starting to see is the result of the negative reception. It was the same with BvS. It was always going to open huge, but it only ended up with 2x it's opening weekend when all was said and done. That's a terrible multiplier. A better movie would have made more like a 2.25-2.5x multiplier. Off a $166 mil opening weekend, that's a $50 mil difference or more.
    is that why it's outperforming practically everything else released this summer? the unbridled hatred seems to know no limit.

As I said, numbers and quality are two different things.
    The point of the studios is to make money, but us, as comicbook fans, should care about the movies they deliver being actually well-conceived and good.
    Which is not the case with this picture.

Critics were right about this movie being mediocre though.
    I saw it yesterday in theater, and regretted dropping 12 euros on its ticket. It's not the kind of movie that deserves to be seen in theater imo, countrary to even B v S who had the visuals. Those 12 euros are part of the movie gross now - cool for WB.
    But it's not indicative of how I felt about this movie, which is: it's subpar.
    I won't go see it again, especially since it's twice now I basically ignore critics to see a movie only to leave the theater disappointed afterward...
    And that's the crux of the problem for WB (or any studio in that kind of situation): people can be fooled once (or twice, obviously) into believing into your product, but at some point, they stop buying into the hype you are throwing at them, if you don't deliver.
    We'll see how WoM will affect this movie, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works against it on the long run.

That money made in those 4 days? It's the money of people who wanted to see it no matter what.
    Last edited by People Of The Earth; 08-14-2016 at 09:51 AM.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    As I said, numbers and quality are two different things.
    The point of the studios is to make money, but us, as comicbook fans, should care about the movies they deliver being actually well-conceived and good.
    Which is not the case with this picture.

Critics were right about this movie being mediocre though.
    I saw it yesterday in theater, and regretted dropping 12 euros on its ticket. It's not the kind of movie that deserves to be seen in theater imo, countrary to even B v S who had the visuals. Those 12 euros are part of the movie gross now - cool for WB.
    But it's not indicative of how I felt about this movie, which is: it's subpar.
    I won't go see it again, especially since it's twice now I basically ignore critics to see a movie only to left the theater disappointed afterward...
    And that's the crux of the problem for WB (or any studio in that kind of situation): people can be fooled once (or twice, obviously) into believing into your product, but at some point, they stop buying into the hype you are throwing at them.
    We'll see how WoM will affect this movie, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works against it on the long run.

That money made in those 4 days? It's the money of people who wanted to see it no matter what.
    no matter what? thats how movies work.

listen, i dont blame you. i blame these irresponsible tactics in reporting that are designed to work people up. cbr is actually one of the fairer box office sources out of the rest, however. for that i do commend them. but the spin is still laughable.

i saw your comments in the other thread. and i'm sorry you didnt enjoy it like you hoped.

but the fact remains that many many many people did enjoy it. are currently enjoying it. thats just the reality.

not whatever bizarro land these critics and box office pundits would have you believing we are living in.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    How much is the marketing cost? Not just the film cost. You have to put that in with it. There were a lot of ads for this movie. That's not free. You have to pay for it! Those super bowl spots and wendys team ups have to be paid for! The toys, the video game tie ins. It cost more then 170 million.
    Marketing costs are not factored into th e cost of ANY movie.

Why? Because it's a well-known fact that business incentives, tax write-offs, and merchandise sales all but guarantee that a studio will recoup it's marketing budget for a big blockbuster before the movie even hits the theaters.

Marketing costs mean nothing when determining a movie's cost.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Spectacular Member

Yea I have heard that before and that does not appear to be the case.
    You can't say whether it appears to be the case or not. So far the poor quality of their movies hasn't hurt them, but there is little reason to believe they can keep that up.

WW will also open up huge. As will JL. As will the new Batman movie when it comes out.
    Or not. Those movies will likely open very big or huge because it'll be the first time for WW and JLA. Batman is Batman, so it'll probably open big. But that doesn't mean they'll be successful. The point is they absolutely have to open huge unless they improve the quality of the movies. If SS had the biggest August opening ever with $100 mil, it would be ending up with around $200 mil by the end of its run. That's not good with its budget.

Its not like SS was super popular and its already going to make more than any x man movie save deadpool the first two caps the first two thors, the first two hulks, ant man, the last two spideys ect.
    Ah, the old "It made more than Thor, etc.". Yes, but only because of Thor and the Marvel universe. If these DC movies had come out first, they wouldn't have done nearly this well. The Deadpool part should tell you what you need to know.