Page 9 of 78 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

WB/DC have their audience. The problem is getting the general public in. Marvel has that pegged. Now it is completely in WB's right to keep making movies that their fans only will enjoy. They won't get as much money, but they will make a profit.

With Wonder Woman, Marvel really needs this to succeed as well to pave the way for Captain Marvel

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Question:

Why are we discussing the monetary success of a movie and movies that we will never see a dime from?

Quote Originally Posted by eckesg1 View Post
    WB/DC have their audience. The problem is getting the general public in. Marvel has that pegged. Now it is completely in WB's right to keep making movies that their fans only will enjoy. They won't get as much money, but they will make a profit.
    You think it was DC fans only who made SS a success (blowing out Bourne, Star Trek and Ghostbusters in one week)? No. It was the general audience that helped achieve that. The GA just wants to be entertained. If something is good, they will support it. Voting with their wallets. The Marvel vs DC "war" only exists between a niche of fans and people in the media who like to fan the flames and get views and clicks to their website and videos.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 08-14-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    is that why it's outperforming practically everything else released this summer? the unbridled hatred seems to know no limit.
    No hatred. And yes, that's why it's outperforming so many other movies. Yet again, marketing. A good movie wouldn't drop as much as this is already starting to. You can only get so far on marketing and hype. Once the audience realizes the marketing is BS (because of several straight disappointments), the openings will stop being so big, and then the short legs will ruin them.

I have no hatred for these movies. I just enjoy facts and reality.

Spectacular Member

With Wonder Woman, Marvel really needs this to succeed as well to pave the way for Captain Marvel
    I disagree. Captain Marvel will do fine for Marvel no matter what WW does, unless something goes horribly wrong with the MCU between now and then. The key to that movie's success isn't how a superheroine movie from another studio does. The deciding factor is whether Captain Marvel is like the other MCU movies, entertaining and at least good, if not great.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Question:

Why are we discussing the monetary success of a movie and movies that we will never see a dime from?
    Because it's interesting to follow these things. The same reason people watch sports or play games.

Marketing costs are not factored into th e cost of ANY movie.

Why? Because it's a well-known fact that business incentives, tax write-offs, and merchandise sales all but guarantee that a studio will recoup it's marketing budget for a big blockbuster before the movie even hits the theaters.

Marketing costs mean nothing when determining a movie's cost.

LOL!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ruggles-721818

"TV isn't necessarily the most effective, but it's the most efficient and still casts the widest net," says Moore, whose studio, like Warner Bros., is considered one of the most aggressive at marketing. "You get the people you want on social media, but the key is getting enough people." For Moore, DVR time-shifting is the biggest concern: "It doesn't help if Universal is advertising on Thursday night for Lucy and people watch [the TV spot] the next week."

In summer 2013, film studios clamored for a spot on Under the Dome after the series became a hit. "CBS made a fortune because it was broadcasting original programming in the summer. It started at $60,000 and ended up at $300,000 and $400,000 for a 30-second spot," says one top marketing executive. AMC's The Walking Dead, cable's top show in the 18-to-49 demo, charges upward of $300,000 for 30 seconds, nearly as much as CBS' The Big Bang Theory. That's nothing, however, when it comes to football: NBC's Sunday night games can command $600,000 to $700,000 a spot, while weekend day games sell for $400,000 to $600,000 (Argo peppered football in fall 2012).
    More modern one.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/mo...ns-1201724468/

While a standard television interview still constitutes free media, being embedded in a program in a deeper way costs $100,000 to $500,000, with the “hard costs” of producing the segment typically piled on top, says one studio marketing exec. “The audience sees it as part of the show, so they don’t fast forward around you.”

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegtam View Post
    I disagree. Captain Marvel will do fine for Marvel no matter what WW does, unless something goes horribly wrong with the MCU between now and then. The key to that movie's success isn't how a superheroine movie from another studio does. The deciding factor is whether Captain Marvel is like the other MCU movies, entertaining and at least good, if not great.
    Never underestimate the power of sexism. Look at Ghostbusters. Trust me, Marvel WANTS Wonder Woman to do gangbusters.

In the vain of an all female Ghostbusters, we are now getting an all female Ocean's 11, renamed Ocean's 8. Because why not?

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yea you did worldwide I did domestic. Reason I did that was no real worldwide numbers from 1978

Ah, I see, well nevermind then.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Fantastic Member

All this anger and all this vitriol comes back to one singular point.

It is impossible now to have an opinion and have that be it. There has to be a counterpoint.

DC fans like SS, while hearing everyone around them didn't like it. What do you think they are going to do? Defend themselves and their taste.
    This leads to anger and vitriol.

Marvel fans like to feel superior because the general public likes their movies and they try to convert the unconverted. Leads and anger and vitriol.

IT HAS TO STOP.

It poisons everything and it leads to people debating box offices ON EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE WEEK.

Well oceans 8 is not really the same as ghostbusters because it's a spin-off and ghostbusters was a remake. Ocean 8 is canon with the other movies as the main female is the sister of the main guy from oceans 11. It's like the supergirl movie was to superman 1-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Well oceans 8 is not really the same as ghostbusters because it's a spin-off and ghostbusters was a remake. Ocean 8 is canon with the other movies as the main female is the sister of the main guy from oceans 11. It's like the supergirl movie was to superman 1-4.
    Really? Is that how they're playing it now? *Shrugs*

The comparisons to Ghostbusters will exist regardless.

Astonishing Member

All this anger and all this vitriol comes back to one singular point.

It is impossible now to have an opinion and have that be it. There has to be a counterpoint.

DC fans like SS, while hearing everyone around them didn't like it. What do you think they are going to do? Defend themselves and their taste.
    This leads to anger and vitriol.

Marvel fans like to feel superior because the general public likes their movies and they try to convert the unconverted. Leads and anger and vitriol.

IT HAS TO STOP.

It poisons everything and it leads to people debating box offices ON EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE WEEK.
    It wont ever stop. Just enjoy the ride

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    It wont ever stop. Just enjoy the ride
    I'll add another thing. The concept of individuality is being zapped out of society. Fred Rogers said " I like you just the way you are". Nobody does that anymore. We are all sheep, not just by organizations, but self determined as well.

Astonishing Member

I'll add another thing. The concept of individuality is being zapped out of society. Fred Rogers said " I like you just the way you are". Nobody does that anymore. We are all sheep, not just by organizations, but self determined as well.
    All I know is I have learned that its not good to make to much money to quickly