Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who's The Writer Closest To Hickman At Marvel?

Loved his style and his Avengers run was remarkable. Although unfortunately, he left and was not there to pick up the pieces once Secret Wars finished. Therefore I am stuck with a Bendis written Doom book. I wan't to be positive about this, but I just don't think his style of writing works for Doom.

I love what Al Ewing was doing with the Ultimates and its my favourite book since the relaunch.

My first answer would've been Al Ewing, and maybe Tom King if he wasn't DC exclusive.

Jason Aaron is currently Marvel's best writer IMO.
    We need better comics

Al Ewing. I'd actually say he's better because not only does he focus on huge storylines, but also character-driven plotlines. Hickman seems to use characters but never flesh them out. Too bad Ewing's books don't sell as well.

Niffleheim

Detailed. Engaging. Entertaining. Expansive. Nope Even Al Ewing doesn't come close to the level of Enthusiasm i had reading Hickman. Off Off Off continue the search in Finding Hickman

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Detailed. Engaging. Entertaining. Expansive. Nope Even Al Ewing doesn't come close to the level of Enthusiasm i had reading Hickman. Off Off Off continue the search in Finding Hickman
    Same.

Ultimates to me is just a less interesting New Avengers

New Avengers to me is just a less interesting Maker.
    We need better comics

BANNED

Gotta second the previous two posts. I had high hopes for Ultimates, but Ultimates was rather average. Not to mention the butchering of the Maker. At the moment, Marvel doesn't have anyone that's close to Hickman, personally speaking. King could've been, but...

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Jason Aaron is currently Marvel's best writer IMO.
    Not with that Dr. Strange run he isn't (I do enjoy his Thor though) .

Al Ewing would be the man to beat. Maybe he is not close to Hickman's level of work, but he had done a great job with the plots and characterizations. Gage would be another good candidate.
    Last edited by Johnrevenge; 08-13-2016 at 02:26 PM.

I would say Ewing...im loving Ultimates still...and a close second is Aaron...they are the two writers at Marvel who are proving they are capable of telling a long story in interesting small and medium sized bits...and they write like they're sharing the responsibility of building new mythologies which is impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Gotta second the previous two posts. I had high hopes for Ultimates, but Ultimates was rather average. Not to mention the butchering of the Maker. At the moment, Marvel doesn't have anyone that's close to Hickman, personally speaking. King could've been, but...
    How was The Maker butchered? Are we forgetting the horrid characterization of Thanos under Hickman's pen??

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    How was The Maker butchered? Are we forgetting the horrid characterization of Thanos under Hickman's pen??
    The Maker became too jokey, too unstable, not to mention he admitted he's not quite that bright in this universe due to the "different laws and properties". He's a far cry from Hickman's version.

As for Thanos, eh. Starlin keeps wanking him and ridiculing the Marvel U in his OGNs. Sure, Hickman's wasn't the best, but he wasn't the worst. It's not like Bendis, or Ewing for that matter, are writing a better version.

The Maker became too jokey, too unstable, not to mention he admitted he's not quite that bright in this universe due to the "different laws and properties". He's a far cry from Hickman's version.

As for Thanos, eh. Starlin keeps wanking him and ridiculing the Marvel U in his OGNs. Sure, Hickman's wasn't the best, but he wasn't the worst. It's not like Bendis, or Ewing for that matter, are writing a better version.
    It's being heavily implied that Maker is only around an ⅛ of his self. Plus, he hasn't been jokey per say as the types of lines he's given can be seen as comical in the sense that they are displayed. Since he doesn't actually "joke around."

Ewing has only written Thanos for like two issues and one of those were to set up Bendis' CWII. But from what we've seen, Thanos has already evolved past his boring love story with Death and it was a nice follow up to Hickman and how he handled Thanos in Secret Wars. Just charging in at Doom? That's something Drax or Hulk would do, not the Mad Titan. And Hickman's space operas seem to be too overly convoluted as a lot of it seems to be Hickman trying to re-create Annihilation but with Avengers. And a lot of elements from his run didn't even matter in the thing he was leading up to his entire time.

BANNED

Hickman's Avengers (Especially Infinity) work was exemplary.

His New Avengers started off very well before spiralling into Secret Wars II which ended up being another Doom wankfest.

And to be frank, since Hickman's milquetoast take on T'Challa is the one Coates is currently utilizing to butcher the BP mythos, it goes without saying, that Hickman isn't one of my favoured writers at present.

I need a writer he actually respects proper characterizationj and established characterization.

Al Ewing is that writer.

Now that isn't to say that Hickman can't handle characters properly or that he can't write amazing storylines. Because he's proven that he is a capable writer for Cyclops, Dr Doom, Fantastic Four, etc.. And Secret Wars was glorious and the best Marvel event in years.