Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fissiks View Post
    i mean they keep reporting it has to make about 700-800 mil to break even...
    I haven't seen any actual "reports" (i.e., stories written by reputable journalists with credible sources) that have made this claim.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    See I just find that odd considering the film didn't even cost 200 million to make? Do movie studios really waste 3-4× the budget of a film promoting it? Cause if so, thats crazy!
    If that was the case you wouldnt see a whole lot of films being made. Its anti dcu propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Fissiks View Post
    i mean they keep reporting it has to make about 700-800 mil to break even...
    No, "they" don't. There was one report (unverified) that other sites regurgitate. Clickbait.

All-New Member

I saw an article headlined "STEEP DROP FOR SUICIDE SQUAD", touting Rogen's SAUSAGE movie. Then you read that SQUAD won the weekend. Huh. How about that. Almost like they had a storyline to push. The headline literally true, of course...but THAT's how they choose to present it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPrime View Post
    I saw an article headlined "STEEP DROP FOR SUICIDE SQUAD", touting Rogen's SAUSAGE movie. Then you read that SQUAD won the weekend. Huh. How about that. Almost like they had a storyline to push. The headline literally true, of course...but THAT's how they choose to present it?
    Well they could have said Suicide Squad passes seven other comic book movies for top spot second weekend in a row. But hell why do that.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 08-14-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

A pity half those folks can't get a refund.

Astonishing Member

Just curious how many countries are left to open in. Will the domestic take surpass the foreign totals?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Just curious how many countries are left to open in. Will the domestic take surpass the foreign totals?
    The foreign market is currently about $20M ahead of the domestic market and there are currently four markets remaining:

Germany 18 August 2016
    Austria 19 August 2016
    Greece 25 August 2016
    Japan 10 Sept. 2016

I have no idea how it will do in those markets.

I'm glad the movie is still doing well. It's second week dropoff is kind of par for the course for big front-loaded blockbusters. It's always over 60% dropoff.

However, can Suicide Squad really do much better than $600-650 worldwide without China? Deadpool did, but was much better received. However, Guardians of the Galaxy made $96 million in China alone.

Also, Guardians had very a very long life at the theater. It was in release for 3 months, so even though right now SS is outpacing GOTG, when all is said and done, SS may run out of steam sooner because Guardians was also a lot better received.

If SS can get into the high $600 millions in total box office, it could be said that it might have reached GOTG levels if it had been released in China.

I can't imagine why Warner doesn't simply make an alternate cut of the movie that the Chinese government would allow to be shown in their country.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    The foreign market is currently about $20M ahead of the domestic market and there are currently four markets remaining:

Germany 18 August 2016
    Austria 19 August 2016
    Greece 25 August 2016
    Japan 10 Sept. 2016

I have no idea how it will do in those markets.

Based on box office for Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy, Austria and Greece are basically a non-factor.

However, both DP and GOTG made over $24 million in Germany. In Japan, GOTG made over $9 million and Deadpool made almost $19 million.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I'm glad the movie is still doing well. It's second week dropoff is kind of par for the course for big front-loaded blockbusters. It's always over 60% dropoff.

However, can Suicide Squad really do much better than $600-650 worldwide without China? Deadpool did, but was much better received. However, Guardians of the Galaxy made $96 million in China alone.

Also, Guardians had very a very long life at the theater. It was in release for 3 months, so even though right now SS is outpacing GOTG, when all is said and done, SS may run out of steam sooner because Guardians was also a lot better received.

If SS can get into the high $600 millions in total box office, it could be said that it might have reached GOTG levels if it had been released in China.

I can't imagine why Warner doesn't simply make an alternate cut of the movie that the Chinese government would allow to be shown in their country.
    I dont know. I mean you are probably looking at over 600 million for this movie after next weekends over. Seems to be doing fine in the overseas markets its opened in. China is what China is. This is why when looking at these movies domestic is so important. No one knows with those guys. Heck if deadpool gets a release in China you might be looking at 900 million bucks for the thing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

Not really. It's 67%... that's X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Twilight territory. It's pretty steep.

I think the movie will tap out at $600 (~270+ domestic and ~300+ internationally). Which is actually really good. And WB should count it as a win. Edit: X-Men:A made $120MIL in China... $120MIL!!!

The only way they can make a cut that will be released in China is if they remove Enchantress from the movie... which is impossible... You never know, yes, but I think it's not going to be released in China.
    Last edited by solletaire; 08-14-2016 at 06:28 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    A pity half those folks can't get a refund.
    The trick is you don't sit through the whole movie.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    Not really. It's 67%... that's X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Twilight territory. It's pretty steep.

I think the movie will tap out at $600 (~270+ domestic and ~300+ internationally). Which is actually really good. And WB should count it as a win. Edit: X-Men:A made $120MIL in China... $120MIL!!!

The only way they can make a cut that will be released in China is if they remove Enchantress from the movie... which is impossible... You never know, yes, but I think it's not going to be released in China.
    i think it has more to do with the fact that China limits the amount of foreign films that get released. Suicide Squad didn't make the cut probably because the reception BvS got it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    See I just find that odd considering the film didn't even cost 200 million to make? Do movie studios really waste 3-4× the budget of a film promoting it? Cause if so, thats crazy!
    Yes and Yes, it is.