View Poll Results: How has “Marvel hating the X-Men” affected your buying habits?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buying less/nothing

110 69.18%
  • No impact

39 24.53%
  • Currently buying more

10 6.29%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

I wrote a blog, about how after 30 years, I finally stopped collecting Uncanny X-Men. But, Bunn being brought on the relaunched Uncanny X-Men, brought me back to that book. I only (currently) for Marvel, collect Uncanny X-Men, Spider-Man 2099, and Nova (which just ended), and just picked up X-Men 92, because Adam-X was in it.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I wrote a blog, about how after 30 years, I finally stopped collecting Uncanny X-Men. But, Bunn being brought on the relaunched Uncanny X-Men, brought me back to that book. I only (currently) for Marvel, collect Uncanny X-Men, Spider-Man 2099, and Nova (which just ended), and just picked up X-Men 92, because Adam-X was in it.
    I'm loving Uncanny and Spidey-2099.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

As someone who only started reading Marvel comics a while back, I cannot say the whole 'Marvel hates X-Men!' thing has effected my buying habits. I have All-New Wolverine & Old Man Logan put back for me, and the team titles I read when they come out on Marvel Unlimited. I would love to put them on my list too, but its already a big list...

For what its worth, All-New Wolverine is one of my favorite ANAD comics, and I love Old Man Logan almost as much. Also, where the X-Men really being painted as the villains in AvX? I know the Phoenix lot where, but as a mutant fan I quiet enjoy it to my shame...

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

To be fair I do not feel like the are marketing to me even outside of X, very few of my not Xbased charcters are used, or they do the wrong kinda of Spin.(Julia Carpenter,Photon,New Warriors,Eternals,Namor,just a few I like}

Would you rather buy an Iceman solo or Magik-most would say Magik I think.
    If they had made Dani Moonstar queen of Hel it would have brought over a lot Xfans to the Thor parts of storytelling and sold more books even if she was kept nonmutant. so silly is Disney/Marvel

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I don't hate everything. Digging Cosmic Angel,glad Goblin Queen is back,I like X23 better as Wolverine than I do Logan still.
    so I'm not leaving yet but I don't get why they do not just try harder.

Spectacular Member Emilio Garra's Avatar

Marvel doesn't hate X-Men, they just want their rightful property back. And if that means dumping on the mutants until their interests reaches an all time low until Fox finally let loose their grip, then so be it. I personally stopped buying the books along time ago... like over a decade ago. It was around the time of the first X-flick and when the books were implementing things from the films. In my head, the X-Men ended with the Twelve storyline with them defeating Apocalypse minus the merging with Cyclops. Everything after is just fanfiction to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio Garra View Post
    Marvel doesn't hate X-Men, they just want their rightful property back. And if that means dumping on the mutants until their interests reaches an all time low until Fox finally let loose their grip, then so be it.
    It isn't Marvel's "rightful" property, because they sold the rights. That's how business works. Marvel is not entitled to the X-Men's movie rights. And the only thing Marvel is doing here is cutting off its nose to spite its face. The X-Men movies still make tons of money for Fox, and they don't seem to be in any particular hurry to relinquish the movie rights. Marvel, meanwhile, instead of capitalizing on what Fox is doing to push the X-Men, seems to be doing the exact opposite, and it seems to be out of pure spite. First the FF, and now the X-Men... look at all the money Marvel is missing out on by letting the fruit die on the vine or just giving us controversial and half-assed stories like this current Inhumans/X-Men tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio Garra View Post
    Marvel doesn't hate X-Men, they just want their rightful property back. And if that means dumping on the mutants until their interests reaches an all time low until Fox finally let loose their grip, then so be it. I personally stopped buying the books along time ago... like over a decade ago. It was around the time of the first X-flick and when the books were implementing things from the films. In my head, the X-Men ended with the Twelve storyline with them defeating Apocalypse minus the merging with Cyclops. Everything after is just fanfiction to me.
    that never made any sense to me bc Marvel sh-tting on the X-men in the comics has little to no impact on the films. The highest selling ongoing comics sell what like 80K a month? Compare that to millions that go see the films. Moviegoers dont care a damn thing about whats happening in the books; heck most arent even aware. All Marvel does is mess up their own profits in the end, while doing some major longterm damage to their own property. Its like shooting one's foot to spite their face.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

No impact on my purchasing habits at all. I just buy what interests me and what I can afford to buy.

Yeah Marvel isn't getting any of my money with the exception of X-Men '92 and I hear they're canning that one too. So guess I'll rekindle my pre-X-Men childhood fascination with Batman and Supes. It's a damn shame too since Fox will likely never sell the rights back. Disney/Marvel is only hurting the fans but Disney is too big now to even manage itself. Look at what happened to the Infinity line, various Disney-owned licensing and departments couldn't even get along with each other. What a mess.

Amazing Member

When I first started reading comics, the X-Books were the only ones that interested me and for years they remained the only ones I read. I don't remember the exact number of books I was buying, but it was most of the X-Books that were coming out at the time. Now the only ones I read are All-New Wolverine and Old Man Logan. I'm also considering buying the X-Men '92 trades because some of my favorite characters have appeared in it.

I don't really know why I read less X-Books. I can pinpoint the drop around the time AvX came out, maybe even before, but there are multiple reasons that could explain it:
    • The books I was really enjoying had all ended or been canceled. Unfortunately, most of my favorite characters are C-list and were thrown into limbo when their books ended. Since they weren't appearing anywhere, that meant I had no new books to buy.
    • I started reading other things. I think Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye started around that time? Everyone was praising it so I tried it and I loved it. One thing leading to another, I started reading other Marvel books, then DC books and independent titles. I couldn't afford to buy so many comics, so decisions had to be made and I decided to drop the titles that didn't interest me as much as the others.
    • Also yeah, the X-Men have been treated quite badly in recent years. They just don't spark as much excitement as they used to. I didn't like AvX much, but at least it concluded the whole 'mutants on the verge of extinction' plot. So naturally, when the M-Pox was announced, that was a huge disappointment.
    • But to tell you the truth, I'm feeling that way about Marvel in general. I can count on one hand the number of Marvel books currently on my pull list and all of them are solo series. So sure, the X-Men have it pretty bad, but even on the other front I can't seem to find something that captivates me for more than a few issues.