Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

names like Dr. Doom and Magneto are incredibly cheesy if you think about it. we're just used to them because they're become a big part of our pop culture fabric.

The name Vermin Vurdebar is cheesy but he's basically a god who is a nazi. That's pretty scary. He was played for laughs on JLU but I think there is a lot that can be done with that character. While Granny Goodness is a silly name she's actually an old woman who tortures and brainwashes children to serve Darkseid. That's also super creepy.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-16-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Because their not part of the Batman family

My guess is the sales of New Gods went downhill bec Big Barda gave up her old bikini costume.
    https://thanley.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/barda3.jpg

I would imagine there is not the connection to the New Gods like the connection we have with Peter Parker, or Clark Kent. The struggle of everyday life AND having a secret life and powers. I would have a hard time making them "relatable"
    I have no beef with Vegans

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    I would imagine there is not the connection to the New Gods like the connection we have with Peter Parker, or Clark Kent. The struggle of everyday life AND having a secret life and powers. I would have a hard time making them "relatable"
    But shows like Game of Thrones humanize characters without making their actual lives relatable. You have kings and queens and lords and magic. The struggle doesn't have to be the same set of circumstances to parallel universal human struggles. I don't want to see someone like Orion get a secret identity. These characters were designed for larger-than-life stories, and epics have always had their place in story-telling. That's what needs to be done, treat them like the epic titans they are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The name Vermin Vurdebar is cheesy but he's basically a god who is a nazi. That's pretty scary.
    Not really. It's pretty crappy. what you have is either a ridiculous character who has to be played for laughs or a "God" who idolizes a failed Human political extremism. And it's not like he's a god of Nazi's, they came first, they didn't worship him it's the other way around. He's basically an alien Red Skull.

Actually no that's not a good enough analogy, Vunderbar is a neo-Nazi, not even the real thing. He's a wannabe. Impressive for a god? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    Not really. It's pretty crappy. what you have is either a ridiculous character who has to be played for laughs or a "God" who idolizes a failed Human political extremism. And it's not like he's a god of Nazi's, they came first, they didn't worship him it's the other way around. He's basically an alien Red Skull.

Actually no that's not a good enough analogy, Vunderbar is a neo-Nazi, not even the real thing. He's a wannabe. Impressive for a god? I don't think so.
    He doesn't idolize a failed human political extremism since he doesn't even know much about humanity. Do you even know anything about Vurndebar besides the info that's in Robotman's post?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    But shows like Game of Thrones humanize characters without making their actual lives relatable. You have kings and queens and lords and magic. The struggle doesn't have to be the same set of circumstances to parallel universal human struggles. I don't want to see someone like Orion get a secret identity. These characters were designed for larger-than-life stories, and epics have always had their place in story-telling. That's what needs to be done, treat them like the epic titans they are.
    And there's the issue. They're designed for epic mythology and metaphor but get shoved into generic superhero roles where there's nothing to distinguish them. TS will disagree on the basis that it's not a guaranteed seller, and it's thereby actively contemptuous in its naivete to suggest it requires that kind of specific and for comics slightly unusual approach - with, yes, a specific creative team who are well-suited to that sort of material - but nothing up to this point has suggested any of them other than maybe Darkseid can especially work outside that context. And given people have complained about being bored with Darkseid for years, even him not so much.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot who the OP was.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 08-17-2016 at 10:52 PM.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    He doesn't idolize a failed human political extremism since he doesn't even know much about humanity. Do you even know anything about Vurndebar besides the info that's in Robotman's post?
    Then why does he act like a caricature of a neo-nazi?
    What do I know? what I've read like anyone else here, which granted is more crossovers and events, but the very purpose of those things is to highlight characters DC might want you to buy later. That's the impression I've been left with and from reading other posts here I'm not alone.

Criticism of a character isn't digging up Jack Kirby's grave you know.

Too weird. Orion and Mister Miracle caught on, and Darkseid, but the other characters are Kirby at his Kirbyest, aka pure wacky scifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    at this point I feel Morrison and Hickman are the only ones I would have faith in putting out a strong story with them. I would rather them not be used, because when they are it is usually not good.
    HICKMAN doing New Gods or *Shudder* The Eternals makes my nether regions flutter.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Right here. If I can't relate to them, I won't read the book.

It's funny cause I happen to like the New Gods and Forever People but DC will have to move them to Earth and give them an interesting story to make me wanna read about them every month. The potential is there but as whole I only think about them when the JLA needs a hand with Darkseid.
    I disagree. I want crazy metaphysical stuff, like Starlin did latter with Eternity, Order, Chaos, and the Living Tribunal, etc, with my cosmic/god characters. Thor shouldn't be bothered with earthly concerns, and when he is, he should be a nobler Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Give me a book where they're stuck on Earth after some mysterious forces has destroyed New Genesis. Maybe, find a reason to lessen or change their powers so that their forced to gather together as a team to save their new home. Also, throw in some humans, so the reader has something to relate too. Add a unknown force that has enough power to rival Darksied and have it kill one or two of them at the start of the story.

I would be all over that.
    So "All-New Inhumans" by Soule.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    I thought the appeal of Game of Thrones was the violence and sex and nudity.

If they did a New Gods series where the ladies got naked a lot, I'm betting that would sell.

(For that matter, New Gods needs more heroic ladies. After Barda it drops fast to what...Jezebelle?)

BANNED

They're as popular as they should be. That's the answer to the OP's question.