Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why aren't the New Gods more popular?

Just wanted to pose this question to get some opinions on why the New Gods don't seem to be able to maintain a regular book or presence within the DCU. I know they were recently used heavily in the Darkseid War and showed up in the Godhead crossover within the GL title's but it seems like they never do enough to maintain a regular series. I know I am biased since my favorite character is Mr.Miracle, but I have never understood why they have been unable to maintain a book in the last decade or so.

I would prefer the new gods have secret identities and work among humans again like Turpin, dave lincoln, etc.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 08-14-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Mighty Member

How could they be? After the kirby stuff, they're mostly rarely used side characters.

BANNED

Because most of the time they are written by poor writers who do not get the concept at all and portray them as fairly generic space aliens

BANNED

There's nobody there for me to relate to.

For the record, historically I wasn't a Thor reader (in terms of his solo boo) for similar reasons. I have gotten into it a bit more later in life, but I still prefer the stories where he (or she) is interacting with regular people, rather than all-Asgard stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Because most of the time they are written by poor writers who do not get the concept at all and portray them as fairly generic space aliens
    This and they can't get them beyond Darkseid. I like Darkseid as a villain, but all the time, it does get tiresome.

After awhile it feels like watching Austin Powers and Dr Evil.

Darkseid, "You do not understand by evil plans, it may seem like I have lost, but I have really won, because my plans are completely evil, and I am thinking 10 steps ahead of everyone, and yes, these plans are evil. Evil I say." Repeat that line like every comic, sometimes twice, and you have the New Gods comic.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    I would prefer the new gods have secret identities and work among humans again like Turpin, dave lincoln, etc.
    I knew turpin became the host for darkseid at one point, but was he ever a new god?
    Last edited by protege; 08-17-2016 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post

For the record, historically I wasn't a Thor reader (in terms of his solo boo) for similar reasons. I have gotten into it a bit more later in life, but I still prefer the stories where he (or she) is interacting with regular people, rather than all-Asgard stuff.
    That's how i feel about thor as well, or any cosmic based character, really.

Niffleheim

Coz Stan Lee wasn't there to give them the human touch just joking. Yeah i have the same problem with Eternals. I wish they would become more popular but they are always being shelved.

That's a sure way to stop me reading Thor Thor is the only one that I need to relate to.
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-15-2016 at 06:43 AM.

BANNED

Exactly. And the Red Lanterns flopped because they didn't resonate with anyone.

Thor needs to be less about gods and more about Don Blake.

Like Carabas said most writers do not know how to use them and produce poor stories. Kirby, Simonson, and Morrison get it, if they did a new gods series at this point I feel Morrison and Hickman are the only ones I would have faith in putting out a strong story with them. I would rather them not be used, because when they are it is usually not good.

BANNED

Well, what in the hell could you do with them? It's just not a concept that will suppprt an ongoing.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Well, what in the hell could you do with them? It's just not a concept that will suppprt an ongoing.
    Eh, i'd disagree, the New Gods as a general group might not be able to support an ongoing, but individual characters, like say Orion, Lightray, Big Barda, Mister Miracle, etc easily suoport one if done right.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Eh, i'd disagree, the New Gods as a general group might not be able to support an ongoing, but individual characters, like say Orion, Lightray, Big Barda, Mister Miracle, etc easily suoport one if done right.
    A better question is, why should they be popular? They're ten thousand alien characters in search of a premise. DC should consider that story told and flush them all except for Darkseid. And I've even shown them how to do that, in my signature.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-15-2016 at 07:10 AM.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    A better question is, why should they be popular? They're ten thousand alien characters in search of a premise. DC should consider that story told and flush them all except for Darkseid. And I've even shown them how to do that, in my signature.
    Trey, I don't think DC is interested in your fanfiction.

As for why they would be popular? Same reason as any other fictional character I guess, people find them interesting and want to see more of them. The only trick is writing a story that does the characters justice and will get readers interested in them again.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!