Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

I'm not sold on King's Batman title thus far. That pains me to say as I absolute LOVED his work on Grayson (The Gun Goes Off is probably my favorite single issue of any comic ever), and loved what I read of Omega Men. His repetition has just been over the top lately. While the concept of the character of Gotham (and Gotham Girl) and how they got their powers and the nature of them are pretty cool, I somehow didn't feel connected to them. Also, the name is a bit... on the nose.

Not giving up on it, but I have to say that thus far I enjoyed Snyder and Morrison much more than I'm liking King's run.

Extraordinary Member

One thing I've noticed about this series is Batman knocking super humans off their feet with one blow (Gotham) and he slams Grundy down and holds him with there with one foot on his neck. Ugh that type of thing is so annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    I'm not sold on King's Batman title thus far. That pains me to say as I absolute LOVED his work on Grayson (The Gun Goes Off is probably my favorite single issue of any comic ever), and loved what I read of Omega Men. His repetition has just been over the top lately. While the concept of the character of Gotham (and Gotham Girl) and how they got their powers and the nature of them are pretty cool, I somehow didn't feel connected to them. Also, the name is a bit... on the nose.

Not giving up on it, but I have to say that thus far I enjoyed Snyder and Morrison much more than I'm liking King's run.
    I agree110%.

Quote Originally Posted by polished1 View Post
    I felt like this arc ended on a pretty meh note. I want to like this series but so far it's been pretty pedestrian. This last issue started good, with Alfed bringing the comedy but then the JLA is brought it in in a meh way, defeated in a meh way, and Gotham dies in a meh way.
    I guess I can say pretty much the same. This ish was more satisfying than 1-4. Since Day 1, I was hoping Gotham Girl survived (super)Gotham because she had way more lasting entertainment potential - starting with the much better codename(with it's alliterative fun to boot)!

Yeah, those 2 titles were consistently worth reading monthly. And the tidbit reveal of their power workings was cool - at the expense of a poor JLA appearance. It's really a shame that readers never got better exposition on their powers, courtesy the world's greatest detective, but I look forward to that ASAP. A bad origin might taint this Rebirth restart here in a belated way but I will hope for the best.

Exactly on point. I mean, Gotham and Gotham Girl...like, really, I hated their names from the start. And the first arc is called "I Am Gotham"...how creative is that lol
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I'm really enjoying how much more human Tom King's Batman is. So the biggest plus on his run so far, for me at least, has been the emotional vulnerability. I love that when Batman thinks he's going to die, he asks Alfred if his parents would have been proud. And that his primary concern isn't being right, but saving lives.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I'm really enjoying how much more human Tom King's Batman is. So the biggest plus on his run so far, for me at least, has been the emotional vulnerability. I love that when Batman thinks he's going to die, he asks Alfred if his parents would have been proud. And that his primary concern isn't being right, but saving lives.
    Thats a pretty good point. Also, I been liking his ability to ask for help. Everyone saying the JL was a waste, and it kinda was, but it was cool that Bruce knew he couldn't take dude alone, so he reached out. His stubbornness in the past has been one of my least favorite characteristics
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    I guess I can say pretty much the same. This ish was more satisfying than 1-4. Since Day 1, I was hoping Gotham Girl survived (super)Gotham because she had way more lasting entertainment potential - starting with the much better codename(with it's alliterative fun to boot)!

Yeah, those 2 titles were consistently worth reading monthly. And the tidbit reveal of their power workings was cool - at the expense of a poor JLA appearance. It's really a shame that readers never got better exposition on their powers, courtesy the world's greatest detective, but I look forward to that ASAP. A bad origin might taint this Rebirth restart here in a belated way but I will hope for the best.
    Not knocking King at all because I've really liked the solo work, but it's become more clear to me just how much Seeley was bringing to Grayson. I'm glad they won the keys to Gotham, and are still working in tandem, but something is definitely lost by not having them co-write.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Personally I found this a wee bit like Amazo (power matches what he fights) and Yes the JL was used only to showcase his might. Well - that was lazy writing to say the least. And if they are paying for their power with their lives - how can GG continue to use her powers? And yes the boot on Grundy's head was eerily reminiscent of the movie BS. And while the Suicide Squad is used for Superman level threats - why were they operating in Gotham? To take down Gotham? Again - seemed rushed and not well thought out at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ManSinha View Post
    And if they are paying for their power with their lives - how can GG continue to use her powers?
    She didn't fight the entire Justice League. The Gothams' powers work by eating off a bit of their remaining lifespan every time they're used, and the amount "drained" depends on how much power is used.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Yeah Gotham basically burned himself out by trying to fight the JL. He won but he was basically in the grave already.

BANNED

Batman: Alfred i'm here
    BatAlfred: oh thank god (runs away)

lol hilarious stuff... that ''I'm Batman'' line of Batalfred really cracked me up too... looks really fun.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    Batman: Alfred i'm here
    BatAlfred: oh thank god (runs away)

lol hilarious stuff... that ''I'm Batman'' line of Batalfred really cracked me up too... looks really fun.
    Yeah, Tom King's got a great sense of humor. Some great laugh out loud moments.

I think he's just getting started!

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Yeah, Tom King's got a great sense of humor. Some great laugh out loud moments.

I think he's just getting started!
    I hope so , this first story was so uneven.

Spectacular Member

The story just did not make that much sense to me. I guess the who and how these people got powers will be explained down the line and that flash forward narration in the final issue was pretty cloying. It also was just like all the Tony Daniels written Batman stories where villains shows up for a panel, poses and then disappears with little explanation on their end.

It would be nice if Finch actually would get to draw a good Batman story, as the ones he wrote and this one are such clunkers or at best mediocre. It all looked pretty good, the artwork was nice.