BANNED

Default Larry Wilmore's The Nightly Show Cancelled by Comedy Central

One of the smartest late night comedy/news shows is gone.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/larr...al-1201837298/

“I’m really grateful to Comedy Central, Jon Stewart, and our fans to have had this opportunity,” Wilmore said in a statement. “But I’m also saddened and surprised we won’t be covering this crazy election or ‘The Unblackening’ as we’ve coined it. And keeping it 100, I guess I hadn’t counted on ‘The Unblackening’ happening to my time slot as well.”
    Seeing this canceled sucks because I enjoyed it a lot for a while, especially during the Ferguson protests, but to be honest I haven't been watching it lately either so I guess I'm part of the problem. I kinda quit late night altogether when David Letterman, Colbert (fictional version) and Stewart retired and now I mostly stream stuff.

While it started out strong but somewhat quietly, I feel like it lost a good chunk of momentum after the Bill Nye episode, where he talked about the importance of water on Mars but two comedians kept yelling over him. It was either a badly moderated conversation or, if it was an act, pointless and noisy, but either way it was sloppy television. Bill Nye's since come back to the show a couple times but the hit its reputation took was done and ratings never really recovered.

But as sad as it is to see the show get canceled (and before the election, too!), I'm even more dismayed that in the interim it's being replaced by paradoxically bland/obnoxious Chris Hardwick.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-15-2016 at 12:46 PM.

I watched it a bit back when it first started, but fell of after about maybe a month or so. I think the format just kinda resulted in an inconsistent quality, it was all very dependent on who the guests were that night, since that portion was the majority of the show. Didn't help that it was replacing Colbert's spot though, tough act to follow.

It's unfortunate, but the ratings aren't there.

I think Comedy Central should have had Larry Wilmore and Trevor Noah on different shows. A newcomer to b the US isn't the guy you put on a national news satire in an election year, but he could be a Colbert style character.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

bullshit. i love this show.

It was better than the Daily show, but I guess I need to switch over to Samantha Bee's nightly program.

They should bring back Tough Crowd

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's unfortunate, but the ratings aren't there.

I think Comedy Central should have had Larry Wilmore and Trevor Noah on different shows. A newcomer to b the US isn't the guy you put on a national news satire in an election year, but he could be a Colbert style character.
    I agree, I think Wilmore's beginning of the episode monologues were generally pretty good, and not to far off from Stewart's style. I didn't watch to much of Noah's work(I just kinda fell out of the late night shows in general to watch whatever else I need to get caught up on) but I can see him working better the more he really just goes all the way with a character like Colbert did.

I'm always more surprised when I notice that the shows in that time slot have managed to stay on the air than I am when one of them comes to an end.

Extraordinary Member

Said to see this go. I'd have prefered it if they tried a Host Switch rather than going straight to cancellation

The panels could be decent or could slide into horrible, and some of the contributors were hit-or-miss, but Wilmore was great and the show had a great point of view that will be sadly missed. I second those saying Wilmore is a better fit for The Daily Show.

Apparently the show was cancelled because it didn't break up into Youtube-friendly segments well. To that I say: "**** yourselves Comedy Central!"

Sam Bee and John Oliver are really the last vestiges of the classic TDS/Report really keeping the institution alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Said to see this go. I'd have prefered it if they tried a Host Switch rather than going straight to cancellation
    I don't know much about the deal, but I imagine that would be impossible to do contractually since it was Larry Wilmore's pitch and idea, as opposed to the Daily Show, which started out as an idea from a couple writers and producers. Wilmore's show is more like Colbert Report than the Daily Show in this way, I think. As in, it's his baby and no one else's.

I could be wrong, of course. But I suppose my point being is that there could be something that prevents Comedy Central seeing the show as salvageable, which could be the deal that Wilmore and Stewart hammered out with CC to get the show produced.

The show was hit or miss. The show rarely had a good flow. Hopefully his regular contributors like Mike Yard or Grace Parra wind up somewhere else; maybe on the daily show. I will really miss his Trump impersonator. He was tremendous! okay.