Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Life of a Comic Book Shipper is tough...

The life of a comic book shipper is tough. There are hardly any end game pairings because well the continuity is forever.

Heck the only pairing that may get a happily ever after forever are Reed Richards and Sue Storm. And who knows. Fantastic Four could come back in 5 years and the editor will call for them to get a divorce.

I don't ship many and it's hard for me. I'm talking ones that have had legit moments. Not Kitty/Nightcrawler or others i may want to happen one day. Ones that have at least had moments.

Howard and Beverly from Howard the Duck. Sunspot and Magma from New Mutants. Rogue and Wolverine. (This is tricky, they have had some, but mind control induced/or when Rogue was a villain)

I can't imagine the Jean/Scott, or Peter/MJ, or Kitty/Colossus shippers. Like these or not they are iconic. Not a fan of Kitty/Colossus but it is iconic. And not a diehard of the others but they are iconic.

I also feel for Cannonball/Dani shippers and Cannonball/Lila shippers cause Sam is now married with a kid. Those won't happen. I mean they could. But i doubt Sam is getting divorced or his wife/kid are dying anytime soon. And these two pairings i don't give a crap about. Still feel bad for them.

Hell now they can even turn straight characters gay like Iceman. Is anybody safe?

It sucks for someone like me who loves the happily ever after. Together forever. Nobody else.

So feel free to say what comic book pairing you want together forever. And then feel bad cause it likely won't be. Like me.

Wiccan and Hulkling have been together now for 11 years of publication time, currently engaged and survived turbulence, never cheated on eachother and the most they've ever been apart was a very brief time out. They're together in several futures and married with a daughter in the most recent one. They've been a lot more dedicated and honest about what they want than I think half of the iconic power couples. I actually don't think any writer who touches them would dare separate them since they don't survive on angst the way Rogue/Gambit did, and in almost every situation, for better or worse, they come as a set. I think when couples stay together too long in fiction they stagnate (Scott/Jean) and eventually have nowhere left to develop but I think lack of exposure and being teenagers with rather promising individual futures has kept that from happening to Wiccan and Hulkling.

I don't think Reed and Sue will ever separate, mostly because I think it's a bit too late in the game for them to find other partners and not have it be a bit squicky and messy with the kids. I mean it'd be a hard cut slice of life story I suppose but I don't think the Richards really NEED that kind of story. I mean anythings possible but I don't think there's any need to get upset until there's indication to be. They're kind of a symbol for a family that survives everything and I think there's better characters to tell edgy separation stories with than them. I'm hoping Marvel agrees.

Regarding X characters it is just too difficult to say. So many people are dead or MIA, the ones that arent are facing extinction and race war and they've all been sterilized. The status quo only just began to set in from the last shake up and now it's changing again. I just think maybe when the Inhumans thing is done with, one way or another there should be a quiet time for the mutants and (I desperately hope) a time for rebuilding and reconnecting. Should that time arise, I think that'd be the best time to put on your shipper goggles.

BANNED

Slicknickshady
    Rogue and Wolverine. (This is tricky, they have had some, but mind control induced/or when Rogue was a villain)
    Please tell me when Rogue as a villain had good moment with Wolvie.

BANNED

@Tarqon I disagree entirely that couples stagnate in fiction if together too long. If a writer can't keep a relationship fresh and interesting to readers after "They Do," it's the WRITER'S failure, NOT the couple's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    @Tarqon I disagree entirely that couples stagnate in fiction if together too long. If a writer can't keep a relationship fresh and interesting to readers after "They Do," it's the WRITER'S failure, NOT the couple's.
    That's fair! It might just be me and how I feel. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I 100% agree with this. If a writer feels a relationship is interesting only when it's being torn down, they're just exposing their own lack of imagination and skill.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 08-16-2016 at 08:45 AM.

I guess so? I don't really worry too much about who dates who as long as it doesn't get in the way.

BANNED

I'm just over here hoping Sabretooth and Monet make pretty babies.

BANNED

I'm glad I'm an Absorbing man x Titania shipper, I'm amazed marvel hasn't screwed them yet

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoFuriousGeorge View Post
    I'm just over here hoping Sabretooth and Monet make pretty babies.
    That is interesting. Def seems to be setting up for that.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    I'm glad I'm an Absorbing man x Titania shipper, I'm amazed marvel hasn't screwed them yet
    There was a turbulent patch in the short-lived All-New, All-Different Illuminati series, but they worked it out by the time the series ended. The entire thing's out in TPB if you want to check it out as a Titania fan.

And yeah, if it's tough for us as shippers over here in Marvel, imagine how the people at DC feel, having their most favorite couples not only torn apart by the New 52 reboot, but having never been together at all in the wake of said reboot. Mainstream comics do seem to sadly operate under the ongoing delusion that characters are only interesting when they're suffering, and that applies just as much to their love lives as to any other aspects of their existences.

P.S. Ambaryerno, preach it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    There was a turbulent patch in the short-lived All-New, All-Different Illuminati series, but they worked it out by the time the series ended. The entire thing's out in TPB if you want to check it out as a Titania fan.

And yeah, if it's tough for us as shippers over here in Marvel, imagine how the people at DC feel, having their most favorite couples not only torn apart by the New 52 reboot, but having never been together at all in the wake of said reboot. Mainstream comics do seem to sadly operate under the ongoing delusion that characters are only interesting when they're suffering, and that applies just as much to their love lives as to any other aspects of their existences.

P.S. Ambaryerno, preach it.
    Yeah, Illuminati was awesome and easily one of my favs comics... It deserved to last more and as a crusher and Mary are together in the end and everything works out... Can't wait for their next appearance.

As for DC, most iconic couples seems to be coming back
    Diana and Steve are gonna be together, aquaman and Mera are getting married and I really hope we get aquababy, Wally Linda has been teased, Clark and Lois are together, and Cassandra and Stephanie are in the same book so I'm super happy with DC atm. All that's missing is batman and...and...? Yeah nothing is missing

I used to ship Hellion and X-23 pretty hard, but Marjorie Liu crapped all over that. I'm reluctant to ship any Marvel couples after that, lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I used to ship Hellion and X-23 pretty hard, but Marjorie Liu crapped all over that. I'm reluctant to ship any Marvel couples after that, lol.
    I still do. So do Kyle and Yost, so there's another reason to hope they get a chance to write her again. ;-)

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

My otp exists only in AUs. I can't see how it would happen now in 616. Quicksilver and Storm, in AoA. Also, Quicksilver and Namor, and that was cancelled.