Super Moderator

Default Pentagon Takes Aim at "Pokemon Go" Over Spying Fears

The U.S. Defense Department has reportedly banned the insanely popular mobile game within its facilities.

Full article here.

All-New Member

Okay, maybe I am truly missing something. But is there actually anything unique about POKEMON GO to justify this? As far as I know, they don't ban the use of GPS on facilities. They DO ban the use of cameras in some areas - but of course, EVERYONE is walking around with a camera in their cell phones. I guess my point is - if people don't trespass, and don't break any standing rules, does this game in any ACTUAL way threaten security? Sounds screwy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPrime View Post
    Okay, maybe I am truly missing something. But is there actually anything unique about POKEMON GO to justify this? As far as I know, they don't ban the use of GPS on facilities. They DO ban the use of cameras in some areas - but of course, EVERYONE is walking around with a camera in their cell phones. I guess my point is - if people don't trespass, and don't break any standing rules, does this game in any ACTUAL way threaten security? Sounds screwy.
    in this day of age some nutcase can use it to commit a horrific attack. im glad the Pentagon is keeping track to make sure there is no threat

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPrime View Post
    There's no picture taking allowed at most (and as far as I know - all) Federal facilities. The Pentagon is just being extra careful that folks aren't just wandering around taking pictures while pretending to be playing a game.

ultraspike

The MoD in the UK's done the same thing. Yet for some reason there's a Pokestop where I'm based.

There isn't really anything to single out Pokémon go as a problem at all. If the problem is GPS, then other things use GPS as well, you could just get out a SatNav. The Pokémon go map is not very detailed at all, so the concerns of it giving specific information about rooms away are unfounded. If they wanted to get rid of all GPS things and all Camera things, then anything like that on the phone (including go) would be covered by that, but targeting this app in particular is pointless because out of anything that could be listed as a threat, this ranks pretty low if at all.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan