Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

I read one or two of the Sojourn trades and they were pretty fun.

The only other book I think I ever even checked out was Mystic, the first trade, by way of the local library. I remember not being into as much. CG as a whole didn't really appeal to me much though.

Scion my favorite comic book series hands down.

Liking the other crossgen series as well, currently reading way of the rat and sojourn.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I'm getting into CrossGen, which book should I start with?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I'd recommend Mystic to start. Or Meridian.

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Scion, Meridian, Route 666, and Negation are my go tos.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Thanks. I was thinking about getting the first year of the first wave books and move on from there, but I'll take a look at all your suggestions first.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 01-24-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Amazing Member

Crossgen might be my favorite universe ever... especially if we're talking about consistent quality. I second that Scion and Meridian are good places to start. The first thing you should read is Crossgen Chronicles #1 though, it is a prelude to the universe, it was the first book they put out I believe and explained the basic premise.

Scion, Sojourn, Meridian and Sojourn were the four best series from Crossgen.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

My picks for best series would be Ruse, Sojourn, Meridian and Scion.

Forge and Edge were an amazing idea and it's unfortunate that they were cut short before they could influence the industry.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

By the way, the Scion #26 issue might just be one of the greatest standalone issues I've ever read.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I loved Crossgen. Books like Negation, Meridian, Scion, and Sigil were my favs but I read almost everything they were putting out. Negation was probably my favorite of the bunch since it sort of evolved out of all the other Crossgen books somewhat. The best thing about Crossgen is they had a book for almost every taste.

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Forge and Edge were an amazing idea and it's unfortunate that they were cut short before they could influence the industry.
    Forge and Edge's problem was that they were trying to do the Japanese manga anthology model. But in the most backassward way possible. There's no value in releasing an anthology that REPRINTS already existing material. if you want something like that to work, you have to publish the material in the anthology FIRST, then reprint it in collected form LATTER. You by the anthology to read the serial content now. You buy the collected edition for posterity after. So there's incentive to buy something TWICE.

The way they did it, you bought the single issues, or the collected editions. And then there was no reason to buy the Anthology. Such a wet fart.

EDIT: Actually, ironically, after Crossgen went down in flaming garbage I discovered both 2000 AD, and Weekly Shonen Jump. And learned what a successful comic anthology looks like. Apparently, being Weekly is important.

Crossgen's biggest flaw was over reaching in the name of innovation and halfassing their platform execution. Both their anthology initiative and web initiative were both were great ideas, but totally botched in the end (well, the web side might have just been ahead of its time. Tablets/smartphones weren't yet a 'thing'. And those are kind of critical to the digital comic experience)
    Last edited by Jim Purcell; 02-01-2015 at 02:16 AM.

I love CrossGen comics. Got into them around the time the first wave of series started and Mystic was my favorite though I enjoyed Scion and Meridian as well. In the end Mystic, Way of the Rat, Ruse and Route 666 were my favorite titles. I was so heartbroken to hear the company folded, especially since it happened so quickly we could not even get a rushed ending to anything that was ongoing. Though even back then as a fan I found myself worrying about how much longer the company could keep going if they kept refusing to cancel any of their titles while continuing to keep adding more and more.

While I did enjoy the Ruse mini Marvel did the other two, Sigil and Mystic I did not care for. But I know that's mostly because the latter two were so completely different from the originals. If they had been launched under different names I probably would have enjoyed them more but I really do not know what Marvel was thinking when they made their attempt of creating a CrossGen imprint with those.

For anyone who wants to check out CG the first wave titles, Sigil, Mystic, Scion and Meridian are good series to start with as they all at least reached a stopping point in their stories so you can avoid having everything end abruptly with those.
    Thennary Speaks - Video reviews for comic books, anime & manga, J-pop and other topics

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

My biggest regret is they folded right at the start of the Negation War. That story was set to tie up most of the mysteries that had been running in almost all the Crossgen books and set the coarse for the series afterwards. If only they could have lasted just a few more months. It was planned as 6 issues and we only got 2.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 02-05-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
    Forge and Edge's problem was that they were trying to do the Japanese manga anthology model. But in the most backassward way possible. There's no value in releasing an anthology that REPRINTS already existing material. if you want something like that to work, you have to publish the material in the anthology FIRST, then reprint it in collected form LATTER. You by the anthology to read the serial content now. You buy the collected edition for posterity after. So there's incentive to buy something TWICE.

The way they did it, you bought the single issues, or the collected editions. And then there was no reason to buy the Anthology. Such a wet fart.

EDIT: Actually, ironically, after Crossgen went down in flaming garbage I discovered both 2000 AD, and Weekly Shonen Jump. And learned what a successful comic anthology looks like. Apparently, being Weekly is important.

Crossgen's biggest flaw was over reaching in the name of innovation and halfassing their platform execution. Both their anthology initiative and web initiative were both were great ideas, but totally botched in the end (well, the web side might have just been ahead of its time. Tablets/smartphones weren't yet a 'thing'. And those are kind of critical to the digital comic experience)
    I agree with you.
    I think the main reason I liked them was that I came into Crossgen late and started with the compendiums, bypassing the regular comics. So to me, they were new.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.