Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Default The Crossgen Comics thread!

We had a Crossgen Comics thread on the old forum, so I figured I'd start a new one for this forum.

I remember stumbling upon the first issues of Scion, Sigil, Meridian, and Mystic back in 2000 when I was getting back into comics after about an 8 month layoff from the hobby. I had never heard of these characters before so I decided to flip through them and immediately fell in love with the art and decided to pick up Scion, Sigil, and Mystic and give them a try, boy am I glad I did! Over the next several months I kept up with those books and jumped on The First when it came out and made sure to sample everything the publisher threw at me, I kept up on all the latest Crossgen news and by mid 2001 I was completely submerged within the company. At my height I was purchasing at least 10 Crossgen books a month and was heavy into Scion, Sigil, Mystic, Crux, Sojourn, The First, Negation, Mark of Charon, Solus, Brath, and other non Sigil-Verse books and couldn't imagine my life without these amazing characters. And then it happened. Crossgen went out of business in 2004. I was destroyed inside and left the hobby for several years before finally coming back but the burn still stings and the void has only been partially filled, I'll never forget the time I had with Crossgen and still keep their books near and dear to my heart.

Okay, that's my story. What's yours? Discuss!

I...have never read any Crossgen. In fact id never heard of them until well after they folded.

Some of their books look interesting though. Which would you say are worth checking out?
    Did most of them end on a satisfying note or did they get cut off mid story?

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I...have never read any Crossgen. In fact id never heard of them until well after they folded.

Some of their books look interesting though. Which would you say are worth checking out?
    Unfortunately most were cut in the middle of the story, but they're still worth checking out if you like a good story. My personal favorites were Scion, Crux, Sojourn, and Sigil, but I also enjoyed Negation, Mystic, and a few others.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I bought pretty much every CrossGen title from the first couple of waves (except Meridian, which never appealed to me). Favorites were Mystic, Negation, Brath, Sojourn (remember when Greg Land was good?!), and the vastly underrated The First.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I bought just about everything from CrossGen. The Path was the only series that didn't appeal to me. My personal favorites were Negation, Sojourn and Sigil. Strangely enough I really enjoyed Meridian. When I first saw the series I thought it would be a kids series and a best it would be bland and childish, but I found it highly entertaining.

Read everything from CrossGen. If I had to pick my fav, guess it'd be Negation.
    Missed the first few issues of the first wave so I picked up the trades. Bad idea. Pages detached from the spine at will.

BANNED

Yeah Negation was my favorite, shame the company fell apart before they finished their event

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post

NEGATION was d BEST!....1 name...OBREGON KAINE!!!!!

Sigil, d First, Silken Ghost(mini), Way of d Rat(do NOT tk d title literally), Mystic & Crux were also superb!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Yeah Negation was my favorite, shame the company fell apart before they finished their event
    Agrd...it wud b superb if Disney did fans a massive favor & just bring bk d original writers, editors& artists & let dem finish their stories completely perhaps frm whr dey left-off. Gving each title 12 issues(32 pgs each) 2 cmplete all tieing in2 NEGATION which itself cud b gvn 16 issue(32 pgs each) reaching d end.

Dat wud b soooo kool!!!!

I've only read the Marvel reboot, but I liked the Ruse mini enough to want mores stories.

My favorite books from Crossgen were Meridian, Scion, Mystic and Sojourn.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I've only read the Marvel reboot, but I liked the Ruse mini enough to want mores stories.
    Marvel's Ruse was pretty much like the original version, so if you liked that, you'll also enjoy the original.

All-New Member

I wasn't reading comics when Crossgen was going strong, but later bought the George Perez issues of Crossgen Chronicles. It got me interested in everything but Sigil-- if I track down the issues, would I enjoy the ride or be filled with a big gaping hole in my dark soul due to the abrupt ending of Crossgen?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicscube View Post
    - if I track down the issues, would I enjoy the ride or be filled with a big gaping hole in my dark soul due to the abrupt ending of Crossgen?
    I'm gonna say both...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    Marvel's Ruse was pretty much like the original version, so if you liked that, you'll also enjoy the original.
    I'm sure of that, but the original version is impossible to find in Spain.