Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Trank's "Fantastic Four" Originally Featured A Different Classic Villain

The original screenplay for last year's "Fantastic Four" flop featured an additional big name baddie besides Doom.

Full article here.

I'd trade any future Fantastic Four movie for the return of the Fantastic Four book.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I'd trade any future Fantastic Four movie for the return of the Fantastic Four book.
    Yes. Seconded.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Nobody's stopping Marvel.

Fantastic Member

Here's how bad Trank's Fantastic 4 was. It bombed. IN this era of movies, it bombed

Mighty Member

Oh, just let it go... Let Kevin Feige and compony work their magic on the franchise. Because at this point you futzed it up to such a degree that none wants to go near that IP with a stick... Thanks a bunch, FOX!

EDIT: I mean the only reason why FOX is not running around in panic over their superhero properties is thanks to Deadpool and its incredible financial success and immense popularity. Shame the X-Men are stuck in their creative limbo, too.
    Last edited by solletaire; 08-16-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Fantastic Member

Fantastic Four should be about grand-scale adventure with a side dish of family comedy-drama. So simple, but apparently so impossible for Fox to make it right. No, it's not a pure comedy sitcom with superheroes. No, it's not a body horror tragedy. It might have a bit of comedy and a bit of tragedy, but the large-scale adventuring should take center stage.

BANNED

Using Doom as the main villain of the franchise's first film is a mistake. It was a mistake when Tim Story did it and it was a mistake when Trank did it. The conflict between Doom and Reed is so intensely personal that it shrinks the scope of the film. The lead off villain should be a big, world-threatening danger that gives the FF a chance to establish themselves, publicly, as protectors of the world.

I thought FF couldn't have been worse. I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Narciso View Post
    Fantastic Four should be about grand-scale adventure with a side dish of family comedy-drama. So simple, but apparently so impossible for Fox to make it right. No, it's not a pure comedy sitcom with superheroes. No, it's not a body horror tragedy. It might have a bit of comedy and a bit of tragedy, but the large-scale adventuring should take center stage.
    Regardless of the pittfalls of the firat f4 film it did a great job in the family clashes. It was colorful and a fun film.
    Marvel and DC comics are no different than the food at McDonalds. It will fill you up but in the end bad for your health. Read more independent publishers. Get away from the corporate homogenous cookie cutter fast food comics.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ospfwildcard View Post
    Regardless of the pittfalls of the firat f4 film it did a great job in the family clashes. It was colorful and a fun film.
    Yes, it was colorful and fun. The problem was that the movie was too "small", so the comedy element sort of overwhelmed it. It was what I would expect from an Ant-Man movie, and even the actual Ant-Man movie had more action and intensity than FF.

Social Injustice Warrior lolgaxe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Using Doom as the main villain of the franchise's first film is a mistake.
    Having a director that wanted to film a completely different movie was the first mistake.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Nobody's stopping Marvel.
    Yes there is. His name is Isaac Perlmutter.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ospfwildcard View Post

.....................did we see the same film?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Using Doom as the main villain of the franchise's first film is a mistake. It was a mistake when Tim Story did it and it was a mistake when Trank did it. The conflict between Doom and Reed is so intensely personal that it shrinks the scope of the film. The lead off villain should be a big, world-threatening danger that gives the FF a chance to establish themselves, publicly, as protectors of the world.
    I agree.

And I think it's a mistake to devote a lot of time to the FF origin. Their origin is more of a "let's get it out of the way" origin that does not even take the whole of their first issue. In a movie, it should be a flashback. The FF movie should have a world with aliens, lost kingdoms, magic, monsters, imaginary countries, right out of the gate. The closest I've seen in a live action was the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

I'd even take a page of the X-Men movies and set it in the actual 1960s.