Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I still say Marvel and Fox cut a deal a while back and are just keeping it quite until they unveil Phase 4 of their movie lineup. Marvel did not give Fox the X-Men TV rights for nothing.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    .....................did we see the same film?
    He is refering to Tim Story's movie. The 2005 movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel
    I'd trade any future Fantastic Four movie for the return of the Fantastic Four book.
    Nobody's stopping Marvel.
    Yes there is. His name is Isaac Perlmutter.
    Ding, ding! Winnah!
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Ding, ding! Winnah!
    Well, maybe if you guys campaigned just as hard for people to buy the comic while it was still being made... All I've heard is people "yelling" foul when the comic was cancelled and discussing conspiracy theories after the fact. I never read any posts explaining how awesome the FF are and why people should care. Or any posts urging fans to support the book by actually buying the book.

Agendas or no agendas, how do you thin Marvel would have reacted to a 50K/month book? Probably not by canceling it...
    Last edited by solletaire; 08-16-2016 at 01:55 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    Well, maybe if you guys campaigned just as hard for people to buy the comic while it was still being made... All I've heard is people yelling foul when the comic was cancelled and discussing conspiracy theories after the fact. I never read any posts explaining how awesome the FF are and why people should care. Or any posts urging fans to support the book by actually buying the book.
    Convincing people to by Fantastic Four comics is the job of Marvel's marketing department, not random, unpaid fans on the internet. Besides, it's highly unlikely that sales had much, if anything, to do with FF being canceled.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Convincing people to by Fantastic Four comics is the job of Marvel's marketing department, not random, unpaid fans on the internet. Besides, it's highly unlikely that sales had much, if anything, to do with FF being canceled.
    Yes and no.

Of course, Marvel is responsible for P&A of their product. However, and this is an important however...

If you like something, you support it by buying the product and spreading the good word of how awesome the product is. If you are not willing to do that, then you should not complain when the compony producing the product decides to pull the plug for whatever reason.

Not just declare themselves outraged fans when things don't go their way and when they need something controversial to talk about on the internet.

At the end of the day Marvel (or any other compony producing entertainment products) doesn't owe me, you, or anyone anything let alone a specific comic book series that wasn't doing that great to begin with.
    Last edited by solletaire; 08-16-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Fantastic Member

Not just declare themselves outraged fans when things don't go their way and when they need something controversial to talk about on the internet.
    One of the definitions of the Internet is a place you go to complain about stuff, hopefully with an audience of like-minded complainers.

The writer described his version of Annihilus as a "pissed-off cybernetic T-Rex"
    What?

Anyway, why are there so many stories about this movie now?

Are they starting work on another?

BANNED

If you like something, you support it by buying the product and spreading the good word of how awesome the product is. If you are not willing to do that, then you should not complain when the compony producing the product decides to pull the plug for whatever reason.
    Fans can act as "ambassadors" for stuff they like, but there's certainly no obligation to do so on their part. And the idea that not doing so should somehow rob them of a voice or opinion is just plain wrong. All that being said . . . just because you didn't see/hear people talking up the FF doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    What?

Anyway, why are there so many stories about this movie now?

Are they starting work on another?
    I have 3 theories:

Theory 1: A slow news day. And the FF articles always get comments and clicks, so why not post an article?

Theory 2: FOX is thinking about negotiating with Marvel about the FF and keep releasing nuggets of info to elicit fan interest and strengthen their potential position in the negotiations.

Theory 3: It's all random, man, lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Nobody's stopping Marvel.
    Well, no. Dude goes by name of Isaac Perlmutter is stopping Marvel.

Mighty Member

Fans can act as "ambassadors" for stuff they like, but there's certainly no obligation to do so on their part. And the idea that not doing so should somehow rob them of a voice or opinion is just plain wrong. All that being said . . . just because you didn't see/hear people talking up the FF doesn't mean it wasn't happening.
    I can't read every discussion posted on the internet ever, but I've read enough to be fairly confident that the comments that complain about the mistreatemtn of the FF are disproportionately more than the comments that praise how awesome the FF is. Feel free to prove me wrong.

As for the obligation and robbing people of a voice?

*Edit*: Is it really robbing people of their voice by encouraging the conversation to shift to a more positive space... that at the end of the day might entice a more positive reaction from Marvel? Why should criticizing a decision be treated as a business as usual, but encouraging fan support be branded as an obligation?*End Edit*

You know, I think there is a wave of negativity that has permeated so many of these discussions. I also think that as fans it's time we get down from our ivory towers of entitlement, have respect for the creators who produce these products we like, be grateful for all the awesome stuff we get, remember to also comment on all the positive things happening in comics, and of course continue to express our negative opinions, but in a constructive and critical way.

Otherwise, these discussions are counterproductive and pointless unless a person wants to rant and argue. After all, it's not socially acceptable to do so when you're face to face with someone, but is A-Okay on the internet.
    Last edited by solletaire; 08-16-2016 at 03:27 PM.

FF was terrible at the end. They put it out of it's misery. I don't see it returning without a big name writer attached (NO BENDIS!)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
    FF was terrible at the end. They put it out of it's misery. I don't see it returning without a big name writer attached (NO BENDIS!)
    If you're talking about James Robinson's run, I enjoyed it (although, admittedly, a lot of it had to do with Leonard Kirk's art). I thought it was some of his better mainstream work in a while. Not an all-time classic by any means, but a solid, sort of back-to-basics FF story.

The bottom line is that the FF comic isn't coming back with any writer--and Robinson is (or at least was) a "big name writer"--until the Cold War between Fox and Marvel ends.

BANNED

I can't read every discussion posted on the internet ever, but I've read enough to be fairly confident that the comments that complain about the mistreatemtn of the FF are disproportionately more than the comments that praise how awesome the FF is. Feel free to prove me wrong.
    I don't feel the slightest need to prove anything to anyone. And why should I, since the very wording of your comment proves it for me? By your own admission, you don't (and can't possibly) know every conversation that takes place about every book everywhere on the internet. What you can do is jump to conclusions based on your narrow perspective and bias, which is exactly what you've done.

I've seen/heard people talking about Robinson's FF run. I've participated in conversations about it. Some people had good things to say, some people had not so good things to say. Just like any other book. In either case, however, the fact remains that no one who is not on Marvel's payroll is obligated to promote Marvel's books for them, and any suggestion to the contrary is utterly wrong-headed.