Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Nick Spencer Didn't Expect "Captain America's" Hydra Twist to be Controversial

Speaking with CBR, Nick Spencer discusses fan outcry, surprising support and the political commentary he didn't expect.

Full article here.

I think he didn't expected the entire world to be talking about that, just comic book fans. What was kinda stupid by him and Marvel, when a Captain America movie that was so hyped had just hit the theaters. It's almost like they underrated their own popularity.

Amazing Member

I'm thinking he's just a decent human being who expected the world to have a tiny bit of perspective over a comic book plot twist.

Mighty Member

Captain America: Steve Rogers has been a treat to read. It's really well set up and very thoughtful. I can't wait to see where is goes!

As for all the trolls out there; 1) Read the book before you comment and 2) Calling people names doesn't really communicate why you don't like something or lend credibility that something is awful or stupid. Quite the oppsoite

Incredible Member Moral_Gutpunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMBryant View Post
    I'm thinking he's just a decent human being who expected the world to have a tiny bit of perspective over a comic book plot twist.
    If Superman decided to join a white power movement, it'd still be 'a comicbook plot', but that wouldn't mean the outcry had no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    Captain America: Steve Rogers has been a treat to read. It's really well set up and very thoughtful. I can't wait to see where is goes!

As for all the trolls out there; 1) Read the book before you comment and 2) Calling people names doesn't really communicate why you don't like something or lend credibility that something is awful or stupid. Quite the oppsoite
    Many of us have already, hype, racism, handling the implications very poorly, pretending Captain America didn't have any symbolism in mainstream culture, and trying to convince us a viral image is better than advertising good storytelling.

I mean, Marvel kind of went out of their way to let news outlets know it was happening sooo I dunno if I fully believe that.

Maybe he was unaware Marvel was going to do that, because otherwise it would seem like a given. Or maybe the, let's say "passion", by some fans just caught him off guard.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

BANNED

Translation: Nick Spencer had no idea normies who don't even read comics would flip out and even find out about some silly comic.

Incredible Member Moral_Gutpunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    I mean, Marvel kind of went out of their way to let news outlets know it was happening sooo I dunno if I fully believe that.

Maybe he was unaware Marvel was going to do that, because otherwise it would seem like a given. Or maybe the, let's say "passion", by some fans just caught him off guard.
    It'd make sense if he had no idea what marketing was going to do with his idea, but I doubt it. He had to pitch the idea first.

I think one really should be prepared to know there's hundreds, if not thousands of fans of most characters that alrady exist these days. I'm not saying he intended for the backlash, but I think someone at Marvel should have been prepared and made a buffer, not a ton of hype based on 'let's drive people crazy, what could go wrong?'

Ay caramba...
    "Hey, maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe one o' those terrorists'll blow Bats away.
    Nah, never happen.
    Ah, well.. I can dream, can't I...?"- Guy Gardner.

"Corruptus In Extremis"

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moral_Gutpunch View Post
    If Superman decided to join a white power movement, it'd still be 'a comicbook plot', but that wouldn't mean the outcry had no meaning.

Many of us have already, hype, racism, handling the implications very poorly, pretending Captain America didn't have any symbolism in mainstream culture, and trying to convince us a viral image is better than advertising good storytelling.
    The storytelling is not better or worse than most of the stuff Marvel is doing.

It's just a twist. Caused by the meddlings of Red skull btw, and will most likely be temporary (Cap's good nature will win,I think it was hinted at in the last issue).

If Cap was Hydra all along (and not the result of a cosmic cube), and that would be the status quo, then maybe that would be cause for outcry ( actually no, but I would understand it more).

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMBryant View Post
    I guess even that was expecting too much. Which is a Damn shame. Wait to see how the story really unfolds before condemning it people.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbkr View Post

It's just a twist. Caused by the meddlings of Red skull btw, and will most likely be temporary (Cap's good nature will win,I think it was hinted at in the last issue).

If Cap was Hydra all along (and not the result of a cosmic cube), and that would be the status quo, then maybe that would be cause for outcry ( actually no, but I would understand it more).
    people knew that was the case then and they know it now, but this is the internet and people "need" things to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Translation: Nick Spencer had no idea normies who don't even read comics would flip out and even find out about some silly comic.
    And if they don't really read comics anyway, why are they flipping out over it? Why do they even care?
    Last edited by protege; 08-16-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbkr View Post

Exactly! If people have read the story and still don't understand that A) This is temporary and B) This story is designed to underline all the best qualities of Steve and his status as a symbol. Because Red Skull will fail and Steve (even with his HYDRA upbringing) will turn against the Red Skull validating everything we know and love about the character in the process?

Then I don't know what to say...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post

We just got past Cap being a 90 year old man.

Prior to that he was dead.

You'd think fandom would know to expect the swerve by now.