Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Action Comics, #33

Superman finally succumbs to the Doomsday virus and transforms into SUPERDOOM! Is anybody in the universe safe from his vast power and fury? How can Superman possibly find a cure for his condition when the Monster of Steel has completely taken over his mind?

Full article here.

The way Kuder draws that Superman, it gives me the chills.

Astonishing Member

i got some reading to catch up on

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Another great looking issue. I've really been enjoying this cross-over.

Fantastic Member

And there I thought Lobdell leaving the Superbooks would mean less deranged maniac Supergirl in crossover events. Well, guess I was wrong about that! Damn, Greg, what are you doing?

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

So.....Steel + Lana Lang with a big ray shotgun shooting down military drones in a spaceship?
    This is way too awesome to put into words.
    Could have used some Krypto, though.
    Plus, Superdoom and Red Lantern Supergirl spending quality time together.
    Can't wait to see more.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    And there I thought Lobdell leaving the Superbooks would mean less deranged maniac Supergirl in crossover events. Well, guess I was wrong about that! Damn, Greg, what are you doing?
    Not sure what's going on with that Supergirl art, but she's drawn like she's a raging mainiac & her dialog seems so out of character for her now, even as a Red Lantern she's already growing out of this punch first ask questions later stuff. Writer here seems to thinks it's fine to throw away the character development she's recieved over the last few months in her solo + Red lanterns books. It just seems like odd writing for Kara to show up here just to punch Superman/Doom a couple of times, tell him he needs to get intouch with his angry side & all that stuff about them being "magnificent" seriously, why is he writing Kara like she's some sort of power hungry lunatic? It makes no sense for her to tell superman to get intouch with his angry side when she just spent time with a bunch of people who told her not to give into her anger, but to learn how to control it!

So this was her "short side trip*" that was mentioned in Supergirl #32. It's so bad!
    Last edited by Xhatch; 06-30-2014 at 06:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Wow.

Just when I thought SuperTwit couldn't disgust me any further.

I really hope Kal stomps her face in. I really do.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Wow.

Just when I thought SuperTwit couldn't disgust me any further.

I really hope Kal stomps her face in. I really do.
    Well you are right to be disgusted here. I know your feelings towards Supergirl all too well, Vanguard-01, but the character was actually changing with Bedard's & Soule's writing over the past few months & infact she was leaving the Red Lanterns when she made this "short trip" to Action Comics #33 where Pak has come in with his writing and pretty much ignored all of the last few months of her character development & just wrote her on the notion that she is a Red Lantern & they equal Rage monsters. It's not the characters fault here Vanguard-01, it's Greg Pak's writing that is 100% at fault here. It actually MAKES NO SENSE!

So yeah, I'll join you in your disgust this time

What's up with Supergirl? She is so unlikable.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

lol, I don't know what everyone else is hating, I found this really amusing and I think I might just jump back in. Or get the trade if it collects the Nowlan cover.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xhatch View Post
    Well you are right to be disgusted here. I know your feelings towards Supergirl all too well, Vanguard-01, but the character was actually changing with Bedard's & Soule's writing over the past few months & infact she was leaving the Red Lanterns when she made this "short trip" to Action Comics #33 where Pak has come in with his writing and pretty much ignored all of the last few months of her character development & just wrote her on the notion that she is a Red Lantern & they equal Rage monsters. It's not the characters fault here Vanguard-01, it's Greg Pak's writing that is 100% at fault here. It actually MAKES NO SENSE!

So yeah, I'll join you in your disgust this time
    Well, Pak isn't wrong that Red Lanterns are rage monsters, in my book. That's never going to change as far as I'm concerned. I'm also not buying Kara becoming a better person by wearing a Murder Ring. I see her becoming a better character the day she takes that piece of space junk off her finger. Not before.

As to the rest? Hm. This makes me wonder once again whether the plan was to make Kara's Red Lantern nonsense last a lot longer than it did, and Pak just didn't get the memo that she's already on her way OUT of the Red Lantern's by this time.

Best guess I've got, at any rate. Pak's an awesome writer. I find it hard to believe he did this on purpose.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Superman finally succumbs to the Doomsday virus and transforms into SUPERDOOM! Is anybody in the universe safe from his vast power and fury? How can Superman possibly find a cure for his condition when the Monster of Steel has completely taken over his mind?

Full article here.
    Gotta catch up on this title.
    A friend of mine has purchased the comics in this series and is bringing them over for me to take a look at.
    I'll come back and post a review, after I've read it.
    Had a good chuckle about SUPERDOOM. <grins>

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Well, Pak isn't wrong that Red Lanterns are rage monsters, in my book. That's never going to change as far as I'm concerned. I'm also not buying Kara becoming a better person by wearing a Murder Ring. I see her becoming a better character the day she takes that piece of space junk off her finger. Not before.

As to the rest? Hm. This makes me wonder once again whether the plan was to make Kara's Red Lantern nonsense last a lot longer than it did, and Pak just didn't get the memo that she's already on her way OUT of the Red Lantern's by this time.

Best guess I've got, at any rate. Pak's an awesome writer. I find it hard to believe he did this on purpose.
    Or maybe they decided to do this in the plotting stage, when Lobdell was still stinking up the process. Soule himself wrote Guy and Kara like idiots last month, too, but this is ridiculous.

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    Or maybe they decided to do this in the plotting stage, when Lobdell was still stinking up the process. Soule himself wrote Guy and Kara like idiots last month, too, but this is ridiculous.
    It's always possible we're seeing delusions brought on by the infection, a fever-warped perception rather than what's happening. Probably not though, the "teenage girls are angry and stupid" meme is strong at DC editorial. Either way I'll be moving Action out of my pull list at my LCS when I drop by this afternoon.