Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I mentioned it on the Lana Appreciation Page.

What do you all think? Is Lana getting elevated to a more important role in the DCU, thanks to Pak?

I mean, she's helping Wonder Woman and Steel in this big storyline right now. She and Steel seem to be getting along great.

She's already proven she's an electronic genius. Maybe she and Steel can team up and form their own tech company? Or maybe they'll build Lana her own suit? The possibilities for her are endless right now.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

To me its dependent on the longevity of Pak's stay. I mean if he sticks around for a decent amount of time I can easily see Lana's stock rise even more considering what he's done with her in just this short period. If not though I fear she'll just be pushed to the background again as she so often is.

But I will be honest, when I read those panels of Lana and John together I starting thinking it'd be cool if a spark developed between the two.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I mentioned it on the Lana Appreciation Page.

What do you all think? Is Lana getting elevated to a more important role in the DCU, thanks to Pak?

I mean, she's helping Wonder Woman and Steel in this big storyline right now. She and Steel seem to be getting along great.

She's already proven she's an electronic genius. Maybe she and Steel can team up and form their own tech company? Or maybe they'll build Lana her own suit? The possibilities for her are endless right now.
    Maybe a more important role within the Superman side of it.
    But I doubt she will become a superhero, or a JL liaison, or whatever.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

I don't see Lana's role as being elevated. She seems to be getting the same amount of spotlight she used to get during periods of the Silver, Bronze, and Iron Ages.

She used to be Supergirl's mentor in the Pre-Flashpoint era, so I would say Lana partnering with Steel is giving Lana the same level of importance but in a new context.

I love the idea of Lana and John partnering up more in the future, but I don't know if I like the idea of her getting a suit of her own.

There has to be a certain amount of "normalcy" (for lack of a better word) to Lana, or else you might as well be reading the Justice League or another superhero team-up book.

BTW, Kuder should avoid drawing Lana from a low perspective as she looks down. Whenever he does that, she looks like a dude.

BANNED

Compared to what? Complete lack of appearance beyond the same flashback of showing her strong when Clark had to fake weakness and the flashback she was his date on prom night?

She and Steel seem to be getting along great.
    Pak's Lana Lang is someone who is used to working with others as part of a team. No clash of egos if you can help it.

I don't see any of that happening. If anything, I see her at the end of this arc going on her own adventures and taking on the kind of "Problem! Need Superman!" role that Lois had in the Bronze Age. Which would be fine, actually, since both Lois and Lana can have their own issues while doing their adventures.

Kuder simply has a lot of problems with perspective from "awkward" (they're really not that awkward) angles and anatomy in general. He seems most at home with monster-types. See his exquisite line work on Baka.

When I think about it, the most consistent problem I have with the DC's crop of Moebius-types - Frank Quitely, Chris Burnham, Aaron Kuder - is their women.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

God I love Lana Lang here.

I wish we could get some time with real Kara and not this Red Lantern Supergirl, but that's my own nitpick. I am getting really bored with Doomsday. I wish I was seeing SUPERMAN liberating this world and saving their moon.

Dang that art is amazing though.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Kuder keeps proving he's the best out there. Stellar art. So glad he did the entire issue this time.
    Also, I haven't enjoyed Kara that much since... yeah. Pak did a great job with her here.

Superb issue, but I could have done without the Supergirl stuff. 8/10
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

Re member

Thumbed through it at my LCS, looked pretty good except for the bizarre Supergirl cameo. Back on the shelf for you Mr. Pak.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Still the best Superman title around. By far. An it features an evil Superman, which is a trope I usually hate. But Pak makes it work because he's just that good. The art is still incredible, and Kuder is the best artist on Superman in a loooong time. The Lana and Steel duo was also all kind of cool. I only wished they had brought Krypto with them, because that would have been the best team up ever.
    And the cliffhanger was pretty epic.
    If they can make a cross over filler issue work like that, I can't wait to see them go back to their own ideas and be even more awesome.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Incredible Member

Can't get my books til Friday, but Action sounds incredible. Best characterization of Lana in a long time. Godd job Greg

This issue was just okay - but the Supergirl intervention as fight promoter was groanfully contrived. The art was just okay - but probably because of the amazing colors. My interest in Lana is constantly waning for over a decade - but her thoughts/comments were okay here and a hints of a Lana Lang/Steel connection is very promising for her.

Lana, John, and Natasha would make one hell of a team, imo.