Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Who has the potential to be the Next X-Men???

I might be dating myself (I am 31) but I remember a time when ONE new X-Man joined the team and was really developed over the course of a year or so before another new X-Man was introduced. Longshot, Gambit, Bishop, Jubilee, Cannonball, etc. The New Mutants (and later Generation X) was set out to train and cultivate the next X-Men. Cannonball took years to become a member of the X-Men. Moonstar, Magik, and Karma even longer. Heck, I don't think Wolfsbane has even been a full fledged X-Man yet. I used to enjoy that growth and characterizations and power development.

Nowadays it just feels like a bunch of new characters are introduced and see which ones the reading audience takes too. Is Pixie really ready to be an X-Man (at this point)? Hope? Omega Sentinel? Armor? It seems like 5 or 6 newbies get introduced, one is fostered, and the rest are forgotten or slaughtered by the next writer to come onboard.

Anyways, my question is, who of the characters who have yet to become full fledged X-Men of the students really have the potential to make the grade? List up to three choices and if you can why

My 3
    1) Kid Omega
    2) Dust
    3) Indra

Fantastic Member

I think the situation has changed, partially due to Grant Morrison's decision to make the school an ACTUAL school, with a student body. Even during decimation, we could never go back to the school not having a reasonable number of students. Once Grant Morrison drew our attention to it, it just became too ludicrous to imagine a school with only 5 or so students that weren't adults.

That said, whatever, I'll bite:

1) Tempus
    2) Kid Omega
    3) Idie

These aren't so much my favorites as the three who are IMO receiving the most development and 'push' towards the big time.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

1) Ink - due to his appearing in the film a lot of people want to know more about him. Plus he has a bit of a different personality that would be a good contrast with the current team. Plus Guggenheim is returning to the books.

2) Onyxx - since he's been resurrected nothing much has been done with him. And he has a cool visual.

3) somebody new - Bendis and Spurrier are great at creating mutants. How about some brand new character?

Spectacular Member

thats the problem with the new x-kids.

in the previous incarnations (new mutants, gen-x, new x-men), the "kids class" was not created by the writers as a "kids class " at all!

you saw cannonball, sunfire, amara, dani, magik, chamber, monet, and just KNEW that these guys could totaly be x-men one day. they were DESIGNED to be "almost x-men".

compare to, say, wolverine & the x-men crowd, and this INCLUDES kid omega: this crowd is made to look much younger and more schoolboys/girls; the idea is for a "harry potter-style" book intended to "cater to younger audience".

its like comparing a room of kids playing soccer in their schoolyard with the intention of having fun, to a soccer u-21 team of practicaly professionals. the idea is not the same.

BANNED

I think M is getting there.

Pixie and Armor had the chance.

I can only think of Hollow and Squirrel Girl becoming the next X-Men in the future.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Oh, Magma should be a no-brainer

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    2) Onyxx - since he's been resurrected nothing much has been done with him. And he has a cool visual.
    When was he resurrected?

Anyway...
    1. Rockslide!
    2. Anole
    3. Mercury

Just love their visuals and personalities.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 06-30-2014 at 07:42 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Incredible Member

New Mutants: Dani Moonstar.
    Gen X: Monet.
    Academy X: Surge.
    Bendis I won't comment on, stopped buying his x-men work, but they definitely need a moratorium on new characters until the existing ones are further integrated & prevalent. Sage disappearing alone is off putting but maybe fortunate given the current state of the books.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    1) Ink - due to his appearing in the film a lot of people want to know more about him. Plus he has a bit of a different personality that would be a good contrast with the current team. Plus Guggenheim is returning to the books.

3) somebody new - Bendis and Spurrier are great at creating mutants. How about some brand new character?
    Onyxx is resurrected?
    Tempus for X-man > (Or does his school members count as X-men already?)
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I think M is getting there.

Pixie and Armor had the chance.

I can only think of Hollow and Squirrel Girl becoming the next X-Men in the future.

I agree M is probably the closest of the uninitiated to being deserving of the title of X-Man.

I really like these three...

jean_grey_sketch_252.jpg
    Last edited by jorge17881; 06-30-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

Ashes to ashes...Dust to DUST

Has Dani Moonstar ever been part of an X-Men team that wasn't the new mutants?

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
    Has Dani Moonstar ever been part of an X-Men team that wasn't the new mutants?
    She was briefly and part-time, around the time of X-Men v2 #100, but mostly, she just stayed at the mansion.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I found this really cool fanart about some possible future X-men. What do people think about these choices?

You can find the artist's Tumblr over in this link > http://melovecomics.tumblr.com/post/...men-prodigy-as