Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I want to add that I like the high concept of Superman and his family fighting the Eradicator in a Batcave on the moon. That feels like the kind of thing I'd pitch so I'm naturally a fan.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'm almost freaked out with how much fun I'm having with this book. This last issue in particular might've been the best single issue in the run so far. Tight, fast, emotional, and forward moving.

So......am I crazy or did Tomasi and Gleason just to a mashup of the Alien and Terminator with capes....and do it really freakin well? Superman is taken out, and it's up to a terrified Jon and Lois to stay alive. Mahnke is doing his actual best work in this issue, and for him that's REALLY saying something (Superman Beyond anyone!!). Eradicator is the Terminator and Alien rolled into one unstable survival movie situation. Mahnke's art sells the emotion SOOOO well, and damn good on Tomasi and Gleason for letting an artist tell the story. A lot of creators have issues with this.

The wordless scene where Lois is at the end of her rope and goes all Ripley in the HellBat is so intense and powerful that it sets up the (literal) punchline of her saving Jon so well. It also makes Eradicator eat his words when it comes to the inferiority of Jon's human side. Mama Lois got your inferiority right here bruh!! The Jon and Lois tag team is somehow cute and badass at the same time. Tomasi and Gleason continue to make this kid fun and likable. I have to again give it up to the writers letting the art do the talking, because Jon's face throughout this whole issue made me really connect with him like never before.

Last but not least, SUPERman to the rescue! This issue was a really great mix of the human and Kryptonian aspects saving the day. Also is that ending a little bit of a shout out to MOS?

All in all, this book continues to make me happy, man.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    ok, HELLBAT was freaking cool!!!
    Your avatar breaks my heart. I really miss classic Captain Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    This issue was just full of badass moments. What a fantastic issue!!!
    Fantastic issue, indeed. Imo, this is one of the best titles in the market. Consistently great!

Some of the dialogue was really corny as Tomasi pulled one of his "Sanctity of my home!" moments (the hellbat scene would have been a lot cooler without the "mama bear" lines and stuff), but otherwise another fun issue with great art.

Only thing I was hoping to see was Krypto in there, but they're probably saving him for the finale of the arc.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-17-2016 at 05:45 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Another solid issue. Clark, Lois & Jon all had good moments and the set-up for the final fight with the Eradicator has me eagerly awating issue 6!
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Popped in to say that I am loving this series. Tomasi is killing it.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

BANNED

This is one of those series where individual moments are more satisfying than the actual writing. A lot of the dialogue is very flat and generic, I think. Not bad, just weak. But the characters are likable enough that seeing them have cool moments like Lois & Jon beating up the Eradicator make the series worth it.

BANNED

It was better than issue #4.

I just realized that the next issue will have Superman powered by an army of Kryptonian ghosts. lol. This is just too cool for words. This is why I love comics.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

This book is really a lot of fun. I love the big, crazy ideas Tomasi plays with. Kryptonian souls trapped in the Eradicator, a Batcave on the dark side of the moon, and Lois using the Hellbat are all really fun ideas. I like that the book just embraces the fun side of comics and isn't afraid to do something strange. It really adds a lot of punch to the book. Plus the callback to Batman and Robin with the Hellbat armor was a really nice touch. I like that continuity is being embraced while crazy stuff happens. At the core, it's a father trying to protect his son and raise him right. Then we have it take to a super scale by battling Kryptonian Eradicator, going to the moon, and lots of other crazy stuff. I feel like this book sits right where Superman should be. Nice character moments to connect us to the cast with insane superhero fun.

BANNED

Btw, a glowing review of Superman #5!

http://www.newsarama.com/30683-best-...uperman-5.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Your avatar breaks my heart. I really miss classic Captain Marvel.
    aw i miss him too. but he'll be back one day. believe it.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABH View Post
    The Hellbat Returns -- I loved it.

I get you, but alternating between Gleason and Mahnke, with a little bit of Jimenez -- that's a fantastic group of artists be to be cycling through.
    I do agree that all the artists on the title are top notch, but I am in the camp that would like consistent arcs from the artists. Gleason for an arc then Mahnke. At least all the art is awesome though.

Another solid issue. Loved the Hellbat making an appearance. Really starting to enjoy John as a character. Great book.

My favorite part of this book is how it overflows with ideas. Very Silver Age-y. A different writer would have taken what happens in this issue and stretched it over a year and a half, with lots of hand-wringing and angst about the trapped Kryptonians, Superman's moral responsibility, etc. Instead, Tomasi just busts out the fun. I love it, and I hope the pacing continues. Superman is finally the big, bright, fun book it should be.