View Poll Results: Do You Want More Synergy between Rebirth and the DCEU?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 6.00%
  • No

41 82.00%
  • Undecided/Other

6 12.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Smallville killed off Jimmy Olsen and fixed it in the end, CIA man was not Jimmy Olsen
    ha! i like that theory a lot. i definitely support it.

I'm cool with some visual synergy, like costumes and that, but anything more than that? No thank you.

I think there should be synergy on the front of characterizing these characters consistently across all media to help build the brand and customer base. It also helps tremendously if the versions of these characters that appear in various media are characterized in ways that stay true to their raison d'etre. If someone becomes a fan of Wonder Woman through TV or film, they are far more likely to pick up a Wonder Woman comic if the character appearing in the comic pages resembles the character they got invested in in on TV or film.

On the front of continuity, though, I think they should be contained to their respective media. Mainstream DC Comics is already a colossal continuity trainwreck as a consequence of reboots like Crisis on Infinite Earths and Flashpoint. I find that people tend to stay invested in DC Comics media when their respective continuities are actually intact and not hurt by disruptive changes.

God no. Synergy is destroying the Marvel comics, and their cinematic universe is actually successful and well-liked. DC's cinematic universe has thus far been a trainwreck. More synergy with it could destroy anything good that comes out of Rebirth.

Movie synergy is ruining comics. I mean, I'm a fan of a big budget movie just like the next guy but at this point, I'm just like, f' the movies. The comics are where these characters live and are best portrayed. I mean I get it, its about the money, but the art form is being lost.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Nope. I agree with Sacred Knight that movie synergy is ruining Marvel and I'd really dislike it if DC started going that route. Let comics and movies be their own thing.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I'm fine with synergy depending on how it's utilized.

If it means a certain character gets a new shot at an ongoing or mini, because of an increased media presence somewhere else, then that's great, or if an original character in another media is popular enough that they get adapted into the comics, which there are numerous examples of in DC's history.

The synergy I take issue with is changing things about a character or continuity to try and match how they are depicted in other media.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Nope. I agree with Sacred Knight that movie synergy is ruining Marvel and I'd really dislike it if DC started going that route. Let comics and movies be their own thing.
    if?? dc are already "going that route," it just seems to be completely haphazard and without much rhyme or reason

Tv and movies can choose actors and actresses of any ethnicity so there is no need for the comics to change the race of Iris West. In the Smallville tv show, Lana Lang was asian which the comics never followed. New 52 did prepare the comics for the movies which is why they got rid of the briefs on the outside look, they put a black hero Cyborg in Justice League. Smallville Justice League also had Cyborg. For Black Canary, I prefer she use a sonic weapon rather than have sonic power. For captain cold and heat wave, I prefer they have powers rather than use guns like the Francis Manapul versions. For Atom, I prefer Atom as an Iron Man clone since I do not care much for size changing powers. The new 52 thanagarian hawkman is more powerful than past versions and should look ok in the movies.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 08-17-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Tv and movies can choose actors and actresses of any ethnicity so there is no need for the comics to change the race of Iris West. In the Smallville tv show, Lana Lang was asian which the comics never followed. New 52 did prepare the comics for the movies which is why they got rid of the briefs on the outside look, they put a black hero Cyborg in Justice League. Smallville Justice League also had a Cyborg. For Black Canary, I prefer she use a sonic weapon rather than have sonic power. For captain cold and heat wave, I prefer they have powers rather than use guns like the Francis Manapul versions. For Atom, I prefer Atom as an Iron Man clone since I do not care much for size changing powers. The new 52 thanagarian hawkman is more powerful than past versions and should look ok in the movies.
    The Rogues having power totally contradicts their theme, and The Atom is all about size-changing. Being an Iron-Man copy is redundant and disrespects his legacy as a unique hero with a lot of history in the League.

Red Tornado is probably more useful as a powerful android like Vision rather than somebody with lame wind powers. Since the movie WW has a world war 1 history, it is possible for the comic WW to be part of the golden age Justice Society.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 08-17-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Ultimate Member

DC should synergize but only at the surface level.

Marvel have tried it to very mixed results and they're pretty much pulling back on it now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    The most important thing about Deadshot is his daughter and last I check non whites can have that as well so no Deadshot isn't tied to race.
    He is in the comics (like Bruce Wayne) from an old rich family. That wouldn't make much sense if he was black.

Thats of course not integral to his character (like his daughter btw. who is later addition to his character) but was reestablished in the new 52 version of the suicide squad.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    He is in the comics (like Bruce Wayne) from an old rich family. That wouldn't make much sense if he was black.

Thats of course not integral to his character (like his daughter btw. who is later addition to his character) but was reestablished in the new 52 version of the suicide squad.
    There are old rich black families too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    God no. Synergy is destroying the Marvel comics, and their cinematic universe is actually successful and well-liked. DC's cinematic universe has thus far been a trainwreck. More synergy with it could destroy anything good that comes out of Rebirth.

Movie synergy is ruining comics. I mean, I'm a fan of a big budget movie just like the next guy but at this point, I'm just like, f' the movies. The comics are where these characters live and are best portrayed. I mean I get it, its about the money, but the art form is being lost.
    Let me start off by saying I agree with most of your post. Except for this part, which confused me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Synergy is destroying the Marvel comics, and their cinematic universe is actually successful and well-liked.
    One of my big problems with Marvel right now is that despite their movies success we are still missing (or in Stark's case about to lose) the iconic versions of their headline Avengers. No Thor or Cap book over the last year would in anyway give you the classic heroes let alone the movies ones and from enxt year neither Iron man book will either.
    Bottom line I don't really get that part of your point. Could you clarify for me?

i also think of young black kids (boys and girls) who may become inspired by will smith's deadshot or iris west portrayed by candice patton or keirsey clemons and then become confused (or worst, heartbroken) when they go purchase a suicide squad or flash comic book. and see their hero or favorite character is a white man or woman.

what sort of message does that send, really?

not saying synergy is required in every instance. but if you're going to go out of your way to put black actors as important characters in the dc mythos, then i think it's worth considering within the comics.