View Poll Results: Do You Want More Synergy between Rebirth and the DCEU?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 6.00%
  • No

41 82.00%
  • Undecided/Other

6 12.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

I do not read comics for movies.
    I do not watch moves for comics.
    These two entities have very separate audiences, and there are just as many DC fans hating the movies and shows as there are loving them. In addition, what do we do when there are two versions running around, such as the two Flashes (TV and Film) or the two Supermen (TV and Film). There are two Jimmys right now (although one is dead), and if you bring Gotham into, this two Batmen, two Gordons (a movie version was confirmed), a possible Joker in Gotham as well as a real one in Suicide Squad. By making more synergy, you only alienate the comic fans who don't like the movies. I was not a fan of Batman v Superman. I would not like to see Batman becoming a murderer in the comics like he did in the movie. I would stop reading instantly. I did not like Suicide Squad, but I already dropped the book because of Jim Lee's artwork and terrible designs.
    What about the Green Lantern movie? Should we synergize with that? Where does it end? What is off-limits for synergy? As for the race changes, I won't even begin because that's a different argument altogether.
    In the end though, DC knows that the comic book audience and movie audience are very different. One is very broad, accepting changes as long as they see their favorite character fight their other favorite character. The other is very diverse, looking for something great from characters that have been around for decades. Acting like these two are the same, and giving them the same product in a different format will only hurt the company, especially since strains on the writers and artists to keep this synergy going will result in talent dropping left and right. Don't expect the comics to be just like movies, ever. Movies are made for millions, comics are made for tens of thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasBlake View Post
    I think there should be synergy on the front of characterizing these characters consistently across all media to help build the brand and customer base. It also helps tremendously if the versions of these characters that appear in various media are characterized in ways that stay true to their raison d'etre. If someone becomes a fan of Wonder Woman through TV or film, they are far more likely to pick up a Wonder Woman comic if the character appearing in the comic pages resembles the character they got invested in in on TV or film.

On the front of continuity, though, I think they should be contained to their respective media. Mainstream DC Comics is already a colossal continuity trainwreck as a consequence of reboots like Crisis on Infinite Earths and Flashpoint. I find that people tend to stay invested in DC Comics media when their respective continuities are actually intact and not hurt by disruptive changes.
    So what do we do when a movie completely changes a character or aspects of that character? What happens when Batman v Superman releases a movie where Batman flat out kills people when the comic version swore off this. Movie Batman did it because of a dead Robin, but comic Batman went through that exact death without killing, then lost another Robin (his own son at that), and still didn't kill. Should we have comic Batman start killing because movie Batman did. What about Wonder Woman in WWI? That makes no sense in the comics since the moment you leave Themyscria (sorry if I spelled that wrong), you lose your immunity to aging (confirmed as recently as Wonder Woman #4). Plus Steve Trevor is still alive and in action, which is quite a feat for someone who should be a World War I vet.
    Also, why don't movies use big changes in the comics? Why not include Batman's team in training, his current Robin, or his current apprentice? Why not include Superman's son? These things help grow their characters beyond what the movies do, so we do have to undo all of this so they're just like the movies? Do writers have to wait for big changes in movies to do anything new in the books? What about when the movies end or reboot? Where do the characters go then? What about when a new film franchise starts? Where do the characters go then? The comics should do their thing while the movies do theirs. If the comics are expected to be the same as the movies, then that's on the movies since the comics came first.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Red Tornado is probably more useful as a powerful android like Vision rather than somebody with lame wind powers. Since the movie WW has a world war 1 history, it is possible for the comic WW to be part of the golden age Justice Society.
    Red Tornado was always an android with wind powers. In fact, he was made before Vision was. If your talking about the human Red Tornado, she didn't have any powers, and was more of a parody than a real hero. Wonder Woman in WWI makes no sense in current continuity since she starts aging to moment she leaves Themyscria. That's why there was a different Wonder Woman being part of the JSA during WWII pre-Flashpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post
    The comics should do their thing while the movies do theirs. If the comics are expected to be the same as the movies, then that's on the movies since the comics came first.
    again, all due respect but that is ignoring reality. reality is that the publishers are actively choosing to pursue synergy in various degrees. whinging about whether or not they should do it at all is past the point of relevance. this is happening whether you like it or not.

what should be on deck is discussing the level of it these publishers go to.

green arrow - synergized inclusion of diggle
    Arrow TV show is a pile of crap for the last 2 years, no need for synergy anymore.

I didnt mind comics synching more with Smallville Green Arrow.
    Last edited by HunterX; 08-18-2016 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i also think of young black kids (boys and girls) who may become inspired by will smith's deadshot or iris west portrayed by candice patton or keirsey clemons and then become confused (or worst, heartbroken) when they go purchase a suicide squad or flash comic book. and see their hero or favorite character is a white man or woman.

what sort of message does that send, really?

not saying synergy is required in every instance. but if you're going to go out of your way to put black actors as important characters in the dc mythos, then i think it's worth considering within the comics.
    What message does that send? That Hollywood is scared to bring in an established black character, and instead make a white character black. How dare the comics, who have had Deadshot be white since his creation in 1950, have Deadshot be white! Why not include a black villain in Suicide Squad like they did in the comics? Both Black Manta and the new 52 Reverse Flash (who is black due to a different origin story) were in the squad just looking at the past year of comics. In addition, why is race a factor in someone's favorite character? Am I only allowed to have a white character be my favorite? Is my Hispanic friend only allowed to have a Hispanic character be his favorite because his favorite is Flash, a very white man? If you like a character, fine, but don't like them just because they have the same skin as you and are in a movie. If their skin color being different really does that, then they're not your favorite character, they're your favorite race. Just because a movie wanted to do some ethnic recasting doesn't mean the comics have to adhere to it. Comics came first, they don't have to answer to the movies.

again, all due respect but that is ignoring reality. reality is that the publishers are actively choosing to pursue synergy in various degrees. whinging about whether or not they should do it at all is past the point of relevance. this is happening whether you like it or not.

what should be on deck is discussing the level of it these publishers go to.
    So let the creators choose aspects they like, and leave it at that. Like I said, let the comics do their thing while the movies do theirs. Are the movies synergizing with the comics because they have a few things in common? No, so why are the comics synergizing when they take a few aspects they want to play with? Let the publishers do what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post
    So let the creators choose aspects they like, and leave it at that. Like I said, let the comics do their thing while the movies do theirs. Are the movies synergizing with the comics because they have a few things in common? No, so why are the comics synergizing when they take a few aspects they want to play with? Let the publishers do what they want.
    of course. that's all we can do really. the purpose of this topic wasn't to try and tell publishers what to do. more to see whether the rest of you thought they should be doing more synergy, or less. and to try and figure out a pattern for the synergy they are applying. and make no mistake they are actively applying it across the boards.

clearly, you in particular don't want any synergy at all. which i respect, if not disagree with.

In the end though, DC knows that the comic book audience and movie audience are very different
    We are not, most comic book fans watch DC movies & TV shows.

The comics should do their thing while the movies do theirs.
    No, they should synergize where it makes sense and is beneficial to the brand. Just good business strategy
    Last edited by HunterX; 08-18-2016 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    We are not, most comic book fans watch DC movies & TV shows.
    Most, not all, and the comic book audience is very small in comparison to the movie audience. The movie audience will rarely go read comics, but comics readers might go see movies. In the end though, my statement is true since a 100,000 Batman readers doesn't compare to the millions seeing his movies and watching his shows. I don't watch the movies or the shows anymore, so do I have to see changes made there forced into the comics? While there is plenty of overlap between the two, the two audiences are looking for very different things.

of course. that's all we can do really. the purpose of this topic wasn't to try and tell publishers what to do. more to see whether the rest of you thought they should be doing more synergy, or less. and to try and figure out a pattern for the synergy they are applying. and make no mistake they are actively applying it across the boards.

clearly, you in particular don't want any synergy at all. which i respect, if not disagree with.
    If that's the topic, then ok, let's roll with that.
    More synergy or less? I say keep some things familiar, but the movies will do that on their own for the most part unless they want to go completely off the rails, in which case ignore them.
    Pattern for synergy? Keep the characters familiar. Don't feel a need to make the characters the exact same, but keep them familiar so a newcomer can instantly say, oh that's Batman, oh that's Flash, oh that's Superman. That was the one of the failings of the DCYou initiative, the characters were no longer familiar.
    Beyond that, it's up to the creators because they shouldn't be forced to adhere to any pattern of what can be applied. If the Green Arrow writer wants to include an original from the show, let him, but don't force the Supergirl writer to do the same just for consistent synergy.
    I hope that answered your questions.

In the end though, my statement is true since a 100,000 Batman readers doesn't compare to the millions seeing his movies and watching his shows.
    If it wasnt for the synergy between Batman and his other media he wouldnt have become as popular. His comics likely gets a boost from fans who come from Movies/TV, who stay because there is synergy between the comics and what they saw in Movie/TV. Those 100, 000 comics Batman fans, some percentage of that came originally from movies/tv.

I know I came to DC comics through Smallville, If I hadnt seen much link between the show and superman comics, I wouldnt have bothered reading comics. I would have left. But I feel like Smallville did a really good job of adapting the core of superman comics, and in turn the comics started adapting & giving nods to a few things from Smallville show. I really do think superman comics picked up a few fans from Smallville and not just Superman but Aquaman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Cyborg, Flash etc who got to be on the TV show.
    Last edited by HunterX; 08-18-2016 at 08:17 AM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

if?? dc are already "going that route," it just seems to be completely haphazard and without much rhyme or reason
    I suppose I was unclear there. The "route" I was speaking of was DC allowing synergy to basically become the be all and end all status quo for their books. I'm fine with a little synergy here and there but not that.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I suppose I was unclear there. The "route" I was speaking of was DC allowing synergy to basically become the be all and end all status quo for their books. I'm fine with a little synergy here and there but not that.
    understood, thank you for your clarification

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

understood, thank you for your clarification
    You're welcome and I love your avatar. I really miss the Marvel Family.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG