Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Still winning!

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookMan View Post
    DRAGON was neat back in the day because it was action and piles of wild characters - some of them were cool. Then the stories just kept getting more and more goofy. They dragged and the stories were of the cookie cutter type. He was never a gifted writer and that really started showing even before 100.

I remember listening to a podcast and Larsen even admitted he doesn't remember what he did with certain characters/villains so instead of reviewing his work, he just creates new characters. That is concerning and really speaks to the quality of the product. The art has also taken a step back. I don't know what the sales numbers are but I am betting the title would be cancelled if it was done by a new creator/team; Larsen is a founding father so it goes on.

Anyway, INVINCIBLE started down a similar road and good on them to end it. I would have preferred a new creative team but what can you do?
    Thanks for the information. I think what you've said makes a lot of sense and I agree with a lot of it.

Incredible Member

It seems to me there may be a chance in the future to come back to this series, possibly with another creative team. I'm not talking like next 8 to 12 months. I'm talking more like 4 to 5 years. Of course that thought doesn't do anything to console me for this loss now...

I was travelling in Thailand some years back and I stumbled across a couple of early Invincible trades in this little seaside restaurant, of all places. There was a sort of take one/leave one book exchange so I left a paperback I'd finished and read the trades. Obviously it was great stuff. In my mind, reading Invincible is now associated with sitting on a tropical beach and wandering into little seaside cafes.

Quote Originally Posted by wiredwizard View Post
    If this comic is so "acclaimed" how come I never heard of it before this post?
    Just for fun, let's reframe your question as "Why am I so poorly informed about good things?"

Oof, haven't kept up with it much but it's always sad to see longrunning indie series end. Although I do suppose that this allows for them to go out on a real bang and get a proper definitive ending. Maybe once it's all done & completewe could do like a giant re-read thread or something?

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    It seems to me there may be a chance in the future to come back to this series, possibly with another creative team. I'm not talking like next 8 to 12 months. I'm talking more like 4 to 5 years.
    That might be a good shout too actually, though the article does seem to imply a definitive conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Just for fun, let's reframe your question as "Why am I so poorly informed about good things?"
    Well, in the guy's defense Invincible flies under the radar. It gets very little attention from the geek news sites, any time anyone talks to Kirkman its almost always about Walking Dead, and since Invincible doesnt do crossovers with other books its not like anyone is going to stumble upon the character while reading Spawn or Dragon (if anyone even reads those anymore?). That said, for real, anyone who knows good comics knows Invincible.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It would have been great it Invincible won that Eisner award....
    https://youtu.be/-3v8PgAZCAk Check out this review of The Walking Dead #156!

Just saw this news a few hours ago. Honestly this is the most depressing comic news I have seen in some time. Invincible was such a unique book and had built an amazing universe. One of the things that was most surprising to me was that when I first picked up Invincible, it was only because so many of my friends were praising it, but with marvel and DC the last thing I needed from comics was another superhero book and now this is probably my favorite title. While I would agree with several other posts that the book has declined in the last few years and that Kirkman has been going for shock value in the story lines lately, it is still one of the most enjoyable titles around. The fact that you continually saw Mark and Eve grow as characters in this series was so unique, compared to DC and Marvel characters who experience change only to have it go away once a new creative team takes over. Invincible reminded me of what was great about Spider-Man (Until it was ruined by Quesada with One More Day),in that you saw the character continually grow from a single awkward teenage hero, to father, husband and established hero. While it is almost impossible to imagine anyone but ottley drawing this title, I can't believe that they are ending the series instead of handing it to another creative team.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    It would have been great it Invincible won that Eisner award....
    Invincible is good, but not that good!

A definite conclusion is a good way to end Invincible. Although in comic book land things don't always stay dead, especially if there are $ to be made. So who knows, in five or ten years Kirkman could get a brainwave and decide to revist Invincible.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

I would be happy if a character from Image Comics got a movie. Invincible having a CGI movie would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    I would be happy if a character from Image Comics got a movie.
    Spawn.
    Lol. Jk/

Still winning!

I would be happy if a character from Image Comics got a movie.
    Witchblade.

Quote Originally Posted by el shah View Post
    Sucks. Invincible is one of my favorite titles. It was a superhero book with actual consequences...that stuck!

Its weird he's ending this and not the Walking Dead, but whatever.
    He's gonna milk that cow till it's dry....
    #MagnetoWasRight

I would be happy if a character from Image Comics got a movie. Invincible having a CGI movie would be cool.
    Tom Selleck as Omni-Man (I'm okay with likeness, if it's a CGI movie, so long as he does the voice), but he is Omni-Man.