Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Exclusive contracts with Marvel or DC usually refer to not working for the other, not Image. Lots of creators on exclusive contracts with Marvel or DC still do Image work.

I'm actually glad the book is ending. Through the Viltrumite War, it was one of the most enjoyable books that I had read. After that, it started getting too repetitive to me (same with Walking Dead after a while). I'm glad that it is working to something and really interested to seeing how it will end. Because it will be unique to see a book that has gone on so long come to an actual end that can be an ending and not have to have all kinds of contingencies set up for the rest of their shared universe or always have to leave a back door for characters to be used again. I'm sure it will be bloody and heartbreaking however he decides to end it. I've fallen a few issues behind, but I might hold off reading anymore until the whole thing is finalized and then read it all through again from start to finish.
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)

I'm actually glad. Invincible is one of my favourite series but it always felt like a book that deserved an ending. Hard to have real consequences and run forever.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

One of the enjoyable things about the series has been the progression, so it makes sense that the series eventually had to end. It just sucks that it has to be this early. I'm going to miss Invincible.

I only got on board with Invincible a couple of years ago, but I liked it. It was like jumping onto a long-running soap opera--you're not entirely sure what's going on, but the stories and characters are engaging enough that you stick around to learn more. Even in my short time with the book, I saw a progression in Mark, so I'm okay with it all going towards a conclusion.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Still winning!

Anyone notice capuga isn't here? I seriously hope the guy is okay. This book is a huge part of his life. Seriously. If you're willing to shop trades of Invincible all over creation to total strangers at your own expense just to get them interested in Invincible, then the book is definitely a huge part of your life.

Check out this quote from the article:

Additionally, Kirkman wrote that he had been writing towards a conclusion of his story, and learned that Ottley was interested in moving on from "Invincible" at some point -- making for a natural point to end the book.

"Everything was converging in this one story, and looking back, I realized I'd been working toward this the whole time," Kirkman wrote. "In talking it over with Ryan I learned, much to my surprise, that the idea of drawing something other than 'Invincible' someday... and not being stuck in this monthly grind we've been in for well over a decade... appealed to him."
    It's fucked how how Kirkman's ending it. He's ending it because the illustrator is bored with the book, not because that's the way he feels the story should be concluded. It's a pretty superficial reason for ending a book. "We're bored. Screw it. Let's end it." I wonder how he feels knowing the creators are ending his fave comic because they got bored with it. But he shouldn't complain. His philosophy is that he's just paying per issue, not for the full story. So, according to him, the creators can end it for any superficial reason they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by JFP View Post
    Anyone notice capuga isn't here? I seriously hope the guy is okay. This book is a huge part of his life. Seriously. If you're willing to shop trades of Invincible all over creation to total strangers at your own expense just to get them interested in Invincible, then the book is definitely a huge part of your life.

Check out this quote from the article:

It's fucked how how Kirkman's ending it. He's ending it because the illustrator is bored with the book, not because that's the way he feels the story should be concluded. It's a pretty superficial reason for ending a book. "We're bored. Screw it. Let's end it." I wonder how he feels knowing the creators are ending his fave comic because they got bored with it. But he shouldn't complain. His philosophy is that he's just paying per issue, not for the full story. So, according to him, the creators can end it for any superficial reason they want to.
    I don't know Capuga but bless them for their love of a comic book.

I didn't get the same vibe. It sounded more like Kirkman had been wanting another writer to take on the book for a time too. It's hard for one team to keep the same work going for thirteen years and not be worn down by it. To make a good comic go you need help sometimes or a break.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Still winning!

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    I don't know Capuga but bless them for their love of a comic book.

I didn't get the same vibe. It sounded more like Kirkman had been wanting another writer to take on the book for a time too. It's hard for one team to keep the same work going for thirteen years and not be worn down by it. To make a good comic go you need help sometimes or a break.
    Agreed. Kudos for them for going for more than a decade. That alone is a feat in the comic book world. Hell, going for a full year is a feat in the comic book world, sadly.

This is heartbreaking.

I wont claim that Invincible never had bad issues or bad story arcs, because it certainly did. But it was, even at its worst, the best superhero comic on the stands, and for my money it was one of the best comics in the industry period. There have been times, over the last seven years since I discovered the book, that Invincible was the only thing keeping me in the hobby at all. Even when other titles I loved fell in quality I knew Invincible would be there (delays and all). Even when Invincible wasn't everything it could be, I knew it would come out of it and get back on its feet (and it always did). For a title that prided itself on not having a status quo and shaking things up, it was a point of consistency.

I understand Kirkman's reasoning, and ending the title is likely the best choice....but damn. This hurts more than the ending of a comic book should.

I'd like to thank Kirkman, Ottley, and everyone else involved for their hard work over the years. Invincible was, and is, one of the gems.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Remind me again what happened with Conquest?
    He came back once long enough to fight mark once, then died for good. I don't mind that retcon if it was indeed one and not planned. Because it made Mark realize sometimes he has to kill his enemies. Something that was important for the Viltrumite War. It also interesting enough caused his first kill to be that martian possessed astronaut IIRC. Something Cecil threw in Mark's face at least once when they got into one of their disagreements. So as far a soft retcons go it wasn't cringe worthy. Conquest didn't overstay his welcome too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Because it made Mark realize sometimes he has to kill his enemies.
    So when Mark was headbutting Conquest's face into goo, he wasn't learning that? He had to wait until round 2 for it to sink in?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Oh man I'm pretty bummed this is ending! Invincible is my favorite super hero comic of all time, like a few have stated already, with all the reboots and events Marvel and DC constantly vomit up my appreciation for Invincible only grew. The characters all grew and changed as the title went on, they grew like real people.

Just read the news. Crazy. This comic has been a constant since it debuted. I basically learned my lesson with The Walking Dead that I couldn't read the individual issues when my local comic book store forgot to order issues 3 and 4 of the Walking Dead, so I decided to read Invincible through trades. I've got them all and I love them.

In a way, I am sad to hear that it is ending, but I am also glad that Kirkman is ending it in a fashion that he feels brings the long running comic to conclusion. Ryan Ottley is an amazing artist and I am very eager to see what he will do next.

Great work to both Kirkman and Ottley, as well as Cory Walker who drew the comic at the beginning. You guys are big time comic heroes.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Still very bummed out about this. It's such a loss.
    https://youtu.be/-3v8PgAZCAk Check out this review of The Walking Dead #156!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    So when Mark was headbutting Conquest's face into goo, he wasn't learning that? He had to wait until round 2 for it to sink in?
    No, he learned it from thinking he killed Conquest the first time. It's why he killed the possessed guy afterward to prevent the martian parasites from taking over. it also led to Oliver deciding to kill villains which led to the conflict he had with Mark.