Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default 10 Classic "Luke Cage" Comic Aspects That Don't Belong on Netflix

Blaxploitation roots, over the top villains and a disco costume probably shouldn't make the cut when Mike Colter goes solo on Marvel's "Luke Cage."

Full article here.

BANNED

Well, we already know most of things won't make the cut, don't we?

I love Dwayne McDuffie's response to the Luke Cage/Doctor Doom encounter in his first DAMAGE CONTROL miniseries Cage02.jpg

Fantastic Member

This is a fun article, but also kind of pointless - it's pretty obvious that Marvel isn't going to be putting any of this into Luke Cage. Also, Cage continued as a character with his own series (shared with Iron Fist) well into the 1980s.

I wonder if the Netflix series is going to link the experiment that creates Luke into the super-soldier program that has run through the MCU? The MCU has already changed the origin of the Hulk by connecting it to the super-soldier program and it does make sense. To be honest, I was never clear on Luke's origin in the comics - why was Dr. Burstein performing these experiments and why didn't anyone else realize that Luke had escaped? Was he assumed to be have been killed and his body totally incinerated?

Just read the wikipedia entry: it seems that Burstein's experiments were connected to the supersoldier idea.
    Last edited by ShaunN; 08-17-2016 at 02:34 PM.

"Breakin' eggs don't make for better chickens... just omelets!"
    What the HELL does that mean?!?!? LOL

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    I wonder if the Netflix series is going to link the experiment that creates Luke into the super-soldier program that has run through the MCU? The MCU has already changed the origin of the Hulk by connecting it to the super-soldier program and it does make sense. To be honest, I was never clear on Luke's origin in the comics - why was Dr. Burstein performing these experiments and why didn't anyone else realize that Luke had escaped? Was he assumed to be have been killed and his body totally incinerated?
    It seems likely that they'll link the experiment back to the Super Soldier Serum in the TV show, since they've already done so in the comics, years ago. Burstein was was using prisoners as "volunteers" in exchange for time off their sentences. Luke was presumed to have died in an escape attempt but, as I recall, the assumption was that he drowned trying to swim the several miles between the island on which Seagate prison sat and the shoreline, and his body was washed away by the tide.

What I'd like to know is how, if Cage was arrested for trafficking drugs in Harlem, he ended up in a prison off the coast of Georgia.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindTricked View Post
    What the HELL does that mean?!?!? LOL
    I've been literally repeating that shit to myself for 5 minutes trying to unravel how somebody thought that was something an actual human being would say.

Fantastic Member

I'm actually pretty disappointed that this series doesn't appear to pay much homage to the blaxploitation roots. I don't want it set in the 70s or anything, but get some funky music and a little more color in there. And yeah, make it a little cheesy. Not everything has to be "modern" i.e., grim and gritty.
    TeekVids <-- Check out the news every Sunday

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Teek View Post
    I'm actually pretty disappointed that this series doesn't appear to pay much homage to the blaxploitation roots. I don't want it set in the 70s or anything, but get some funky music and a little more color in there. And yeah, make it a little cheesy. Not everything has to be "modern" i.e., grim and gritty.
    Given that we've only seen about 3 minutes of footage out of about 12 hours of programming, it's a bit too soon to be making definitive assumptions about what kind of music or how much "color" the show will have.

All-New Member

Weak clickbait article. Won't continue reading. Glad the Netflix version exists and trust them to do a good job.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    It seems likely that they'll link the experiment back to the Super Soldier Serum in the TV show, since they've already done so in the comics, years ago. Burstein was was using prisoners as "volunteers" in exchange for time off their sentences. Luke was presumed to have died in an escape attempt but, as I recall, the assumption was that he drowned trying to swim the several miles between the island on which Seagate prison sat and the shoreline, and his body was washed away by the tide.

What I'd like to know is how, if Cage was arrested for trafficking drugs in Harlem, he ended up in a prison off the coast of Georgia.
    Overcrowding. Too many supervillains in the New York prison system LOL!

Incredible Member

Title of article doesn't really match the contents; at least half the things that "don't belong on Netflix" are things the writer wants them to find a way to include.

If the line "Where's my money, honey?" ISN'T in the series at some point, I'll be sad...

The costume in question is a product of its time, a yellow and blue open-shirt mishmash meant to evoke feelings of prison and disco
    What? Dude went to a costume shop and got some hero-looking thing on.

but his most defining characteristic and namesake would have to take a backseat.

Diamondback's sweet snakeskin jacket

Senor Muerte
    Yes, why have a super hero show with people that have super powers or super tech.

The whole human experimentation work-release program thing

It's pretty easy to see how the power dynamic between Cage, a Black superhero, and Dr. Burstein, a White scientist, wouldn't play in 2016.
    ??? The dude says if he does something bad he would stop him. Which Cage doesnt DO because that's not him.

Come, this is completely 100% silly, here.

That racist dialogue
    If they are going to be the "new Wire" they are going to have to some "ebonics."

I mean, freaking turn to Hot 97 or Power 105.8

The only racist thing here is the idea that black people should not talk in their own style but some genero stuff.

Black Mariah, in her "former glory"

So having a fat lady is bad? I think you are going to get a lot of body positive people mad at you.

Trying to collect on a debt from Doctor Doom
    Well, we know why. Dont know why this is even a discussion

Luke Cage being really bad at the whole hero thing
    Well, he is not really a hero at the start. He was using his powers to get revenge then he just started helping people.
    And he is not some expert at anything.

What exactly are we looking at here?

Luke Cage's fight scene banter
    No fun allowed?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey616 View Post
    I love Dwayne McDuffie's response to the Luke Cage/Doctor Doom encounter in his first DAMAGE CONTROL miniseries Cage02.jpg
    That just shows Doom learned his lesson after Cage gave him a little "Where's my money, honey?"