Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default Recommend a book and help a title last

To counter the various complaint threads about Marvel's direction-I wanted to start one where folks recommend a book to read and why.

It does no good to have complaint threads that fuss about who is on the cover and NOT the content.
    Rules-

Recommend a title or single issue and give a reason why. Feel free to state the good and even bad about the issue.

Also feel free to ask about a book-you are curious about.

(Really this is more about helping low sellers or ignored gems whose reviews get lost in the shuffle)

I won't start with a recommendation but a question-

Sell me on Scarlet Witch's book.

Title: Mockingbird
    Best Issue: #6
    Why is it so good?

It's probably the funniest Book I've read ever since the last version of Secret Avengers and other than most Deadpool Comics (for example) it doesn't come with the "Try-too-hard"-attitude as Mockingbird is a more serious character who just happens to live through some fun and short adventures while simultaniously setting up the overarching story bit by bit. There are a lot of guest appearances and they all make sense and never feel forced. But make no mistake, Bobbi is the star of this book. She handles every situation with a sense of sovereignity as she has lived through much worse but yet she always comes of very much human and the art really sells the hell out of that.

I picked Issue #6 as the best one so far because although it is as fun as the others if not more so (she is undercover on a ship full of nerds. D&D, Cosplay, whatever the hell you want, it's there) the issue revolves mostly around Bobbi dealing or rather not dealing with the whole Hawkeye Situation from CWII. The fact that the book is otherwise mostly fun makes the sadness hit even harder.
    Also: There are a lot of Corgis in there!
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Astonishing Ant-Man by Nick Spencer and Ramon Rosanas

Uncanny Avengers by Gerry Duggan Definitely the oddest Avenger's line up ever, Old Man Roger's Unity Squad struggles to maintain peace between Humans, Mutants, and Inhumans. Lot's of good humor and action even if the art sometimes disappoints. I really enjoy seeing Cap mentor Rogue in her role as field leader. We also see some interesting moments with the Human Torch trying to adjust to life without the Fantastic Four and Deadpool against all odds prove himself worthy of being an Avenger. This is a team that on paper shouldn't and they know it, but try their damnedest anyways. All in all it feels like both X-Men book and an oddball Avengers title.

Uncanny X-Men by Cullen Bunn When the new X-Titles were first announced this was the one I was least excited about. Ironically I ended up enjoying more then Extraordinary X-Men. Magneto has assembled some of the deadliest X-Men in the MU to stave off mutantkind's extinction at all costs. With surprisingly good art from the often infamous Greg Land the series enjoys a mostly consistent look so far making it a visual rarity in comics these days. While many X-Books have a family or school dynamic to them this team is rather mistrustful of each other despite their common cause. Magneto and Psylocke have the most interesting dynamic having a long history of being both enemies and allies. Bunn captures this dynamic well and makes for some of the best character moments for me. Plus I freaking love Magneto's new outfit!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Astonishing Ant-Man by Nick Spencer and Ramon Rosanas
    Seconded. I really love this book and it pains me when I see it's not selling well. It's got so much heart, and the characters feel so genuine.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'd also like to add another vote here for Spencer's Ant Man and this is from someone who has loathed the Scott Lang character since the Doom beat down in Fraction/Allred's FF. He's mostly tapping into the same vein as his Superior Foes of Spider-Man and I liked that series a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    To counter the various complaint threads about Marvel's direction-I wanted to start one where folks recommend a book to read and why.

It does no good to have complaint threads that fuss about who is on the cover and NOT the content.
    Rules-

Recommend a title or single issue and give a reason why. Feel free to state the good and even bad about the issue.

Also feel free to ask about a book-you are curious about.

(Really this is more about helping low sellers or ignored gems whose reviews get lost in the shuffle)

I won't start with a recommendation but a question-

Sell me on Scarlet Witch's book.
    I like it. I've read most of the issues and they've been more in the "done in one" style. The idea behind it is that magic is broken and Wanda is handling cases one by one. She uses both her mystical talents and intelligence to solve each issue's case. She's sometimes accompanied by Agatha Harkness, who's had a much needed refresh of her scary grandmother look of the Jack Kirby days. There's been a different artist each issue and that has been deliberate. I didn't think I'd like that but so far they've picked a nice line up of artists, most of which I wasn't familiar with. Thank goodness James Robinson is doing a good job of casting off the idea that Wanda is this broken hero who was at the mercy others.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-17-2016 at 11:28 PM.

I've been reading Scarlet Witch with a digital code, rather than buying it myself, but I think I can still sell you on it.

It's a great book. It's examining witchcraft in a really interesting way. But more, it examines Wanda in a fantastic way. It's made clear that she still feels guilt over M-Day, and that it's part of what's motivating her to control herself. Further, it's prompted her to be one of the rare superheroes who's taking care of her mental well-being. She's on anti-depressants. And she spent some time seeing a therapist, and even if he was actually a criminal, he did legitimately help her work some things out. While she doesn't deny her past problems, or how they affect who she is now, it is still clear that she's a confident, competent hero, who knows what she's doing. She's been relying primarily on her wits throughout the series. She uses plenty of magic, but she's not just hexing problems away, she's investigating them, and figuring out how to solve them. There's a compelling antagonist, in the Emerald Warlock, and a cool subplot, with her discovery of the identity of her real mother. Most issues are done-in-ones, and usually really emotionally moving.

There's a different artist on each issue, which sounds like it'd be a problem, but it's actually really cool. All the artists are great, and they each bring something unique. Most issues look gorgeous, and they're all excellent visual storytellers that do great jobs at selling the emotional beats.

So, yeah, I'd definitely recommend it. It's an excellent book. The first couple issues are up on Unlimited, so you can always check them out there, and if you like them, pick up the first trade.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Title: Mockingbird
    I'll go along with that

I'll also promote
    New Avengers soon to be US Avengers
    This is the most fun an Avengers book has been in a long while. Al Ewing has taken a set of B List characters and made them enjoyable even to someone like myself who would be unlikely to pick up any of their solo books before reading this title. This book also does something with AIM instead of the traditional bad guys in beekeeper suits getting blown up in their failed master plan. That's just an example Ewing puts a lot of life into the book as well as fun and there is plenty of action too.
    As an old school Avengers fan this is the only ANAD avenger titled book I'm still reading.

Downside: Squirrel Girl. For me she has no place in the proper MU, she's essentially a joke character like Forbush Man and Spider-Ham. Even then she's less annoying here than in previous Avengers appearances, but she still feels like she doesn't belong in universe to me.

Sell Me Ultimates
    I was really put off by the we're making Galactus a good guy concept. It just sounded like a bad idea, even with Ewing helming.
    Last edited by Icefalcon; 08-18-2016 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    I'll go along with that

I'll also promote
    New Avengers soon to be US Avengers
    This is the most fun an Avengers book has been in a long while. Al Ewing has taken a set of B List characters and made them enjoyable even to someone like myself who would be unlikely to pick up any of their solo books before reading this title. This book also does something with AIM instead of the traditional bad guys in beekeeper suits getting blown up in their failed master plan. That's just an example Ewing puts a lot of life into the book as well as fun and there is plenty of action too.
    As an old school Avengers fan this is the only ANAD avenger titled book I'm still reading.

Downside: Squirrel Girl. For me she has no place in the proper MU, she's essentially a joke character like Forbush Man and Spider-Ham. Even then she's less annoying here than in previous Avengers appearances, but she still feels like she doesn't belong in universe to me.
    Ha, there are (or were) like 2-3 B-Listers tops, the rest I'd call C-D Listers. But he sure did a good Job making me like a lot of characters I didn't care about before.
    I do agree on the Squirrel Girl part. The only time when she really fit into a story for me was when she protected Jones and Cages Baby during.. was that during Siege?
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Ha, there are (or were) like 2-3 B-Listers tops, the rest I'd call C-D Listers.
    Okay so was being a little generous

The unbelievable Gwenpool

Most people might think that this is a lazy series just based on the popularity of both Deadpool and Gwen Stacy buts actually a lot better then you'd ever think it would be. It's about a fun loving character named Gwen Poole who is apparently from our universe, is well knowledged in comics, and finds that she is in the marvel universe and winds up way over her head. The characters enthusiasm is just really great and she can be very funny at times but the best part has to be the art by Gurihiru which is just very cute and animeesque, it really makes the series.

In fact here is a page from the comic itself to prove my point on the art
    image.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The Vision and Scarlet Witch are the best solo books that Marvel is publishing. Both deserve support. The Ultimates is Marvel's best team book and doesn't deserve to be overlooked.

I'll leave it to CJStriker to sell you on Scarlet Witch

Title: Spider-Woman
    Best Issue: 5, 8, 9

Why is it Good?: Spider-Woman I think is one of the best books Marvel is putting out right now and one of it's mostly critically acclaimed (I think only two or 3 other titles are beating it at the moment). I think it's also one of the most underrated books despite what the critics are saying. I know Hopeless has received a lot of crap from fans about Jess' pregnancy arc, but that had to have been one of the most heartfelt, well written arcs I have ever read. Hopeless has stated he loves writing about Spider-Woman and it really shows. Pair that with Javier Rodriguez's stellar artwork (seriously, he's right up there with Samnee as far as I'm concerned) and you have a book you don't want to miss out on.

Best Issue (Ok I cheated and picked several): #5 - this is the first issue after Jessica gives birth to her baby and shows her struggle to adjust to being a mom. This issue doesn't have a whole lot of action but you can tell that both Hopeless and Rodriguez have poured everything they have into this issue. It's personal, it's heartfelt, and it's 100% accurate on what it's like to be a parent for the first time (at least from what I've heard from people who are parents). Also, there's some really great moments with Carol Danver and Jessica being friends which is always awesome.

Issue #8 - One action packed fight seen that let's Rodriguez's art really shine. It's just downright fun and the artwork is stunning.

Issue #9 - This is a Civil War tie in, but it doesn't really feel like it. This issue is equal parts disturbing and hilarious. And while issue 5 showed how supportive BFFs Jess and Carol can be, this issue shows that no matter how close you are, you can still disagree with someone. Jess wants no part of CW II and Carol is asking her best friend for help. Hopeless does a great job of showing these two arguing yet still showing that they care about each other at the same time.

I friggin' love this comic.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

I'm recommending Dan Slott's Silver Surfer run, so far I've only read the first two trade volumes but I am loving it so far. I've never really been a fan of Silver Surfer and didn't know much about his history except for the basics involving Galactus but this really gave me a feel of who he is and how he feels about his past. Not to mention Dawn is a really fun character who I actually like seeing interact with him and how she actually shows him the parts of life that he is missing out on. Other then that the crazy art that Allred gives makes space look as crazy as it should be. I can't wait to pick up more.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I'm recommending Dan Slott's Silver Surfer run, so far I've only read the first two trade volumes but I am loving it so far. I've never really been a fan of Silver Surfer and didn't know much about his history except for the basics involving Galactus but this really gave me a feel of who he is and how he feels about his past. Not to mention Dawn is a really fun character who I actually like seeing interact with him and how she actually shows him the parts of life that he is missing out on. Other then that the crazy art that Allred gives makes space look as crazy as it should be. I can't wait to pick up more.
    I second Silver Surfer. The love and care and craft that goes into this book is amazing. This is clearly a passion project for all involved and it has enormous heart.

My own #1 pick for a book that deserves more attention is Black Widow. The reunion of the previous, Eisner Award-winning, DD creative team of Mark Waid, Chris Samnee, and Matthew Wilson has yielded results every bit as good, if not better. Waid, Samnee, Wilson and co. are putting on a master class in sequential art with every issue of Black Widow and any who wants to see comic book storytelling executed at its highest form should be reading it. This is a classic run and many more people should be reading it. I'd love to see this team stay with Widow for at least as long as they stayed with DD so, please, if you're not already doing so - Buy This Book!!

Bonus shout-out to Sam Wilson: Captain America. I'm sure it's doing ok, saleswise, but whatever it's doing it deserves to do even better. Based on its quality, this should be a top ten or at least top twenty title every month. Spencer and Acuna are doing incredible work on this book and it somehow gets better with every subsequent issue. I think some people who aren't reading it might be put off in imaging that this is some didactic political screed but it's not. It's frequently hilarious, stuffed with cool action, and is an absolute love letter to the Mark Gruenwald Cap era. Yes, it delves into topical issues but reflecting the world we live in is nothing that Marvel has ever shied away from. One of the aspects that makes this book so exciting, in fact, is just how of the moment it is, dealing with such topics as race in America and the impact of social media. But again, this is not a heavy handed book. No matter how serious the underlying subject matter might be, Spencer never forgets to have fun and revel in the fact that this all takes place in a comic book universe full of cool sh*t and larger than life characters.

Also, Acuna's art is just a wonderful thing to behold.